PDA

View Full Version : Cost of gas

gio_ayr
20-09-2010, 10:00 AM
hi guys, I've just paid over £200 GBP for a 13KG bottle of R134a. Even R404a is getting ridiculously expensive. Can't help but think that this is EXTORTIONATE!!! I remember paying half that much not too long ago.

Do you guys pay that much and where are the best places to buy it? I've been buying mine from Kool-Tech and Dean & Wood but I'm convinced they're ripping me off big style!! :rolleyes:

NoNickName
20-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Not too long ago, R134a was 8 Euro per Kg for planned purchase of 8 tons per year minimum (OEM price)

hyperion
20-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Perhaps you need to negotiate a better contract with one of the suppliers. Just paid £8.14 a kg for a 9.6kg dumpy cylinder.

gio_ayr
20-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Perhaps you need to negotiate a better contract with one of the suppliers. Just paid £8.14 a kg for a 9.6kg dumpy cylinder.

Wow where do you pay that or can you not say? The company I used to work for never paid anything like that but since I've started working for myself the price of gas has rocketed! I'm still getting the standard 30%-40% discount on spares like fan motors, stats and compressors but gas has literally doubled in the past year.

Is 30% the normal discount most companies get because I've heard of some other small companies getting up to 60%. They could just be trying to wind me up but it does sound good.

hyperion
20-09-2010, 04:47 PM
You could try the wholesalers whose intials contain PRH. You will need to be a contract customer. There are others very good wholesalers out there.

james10
20-09-2010, 05:10 PM
the cost of r134a and assosiated refrigerants has risen due to manufacturing facilites closing down so i'm told anyway

Grizzly
20-09-2010, 06:23 PM
hi guys, I've just paid over £200 GBP for a 13KG bottle of R134a. Even R404a is getting ridiculously expensive. Can't help but think that this is EXTORTIONATE!!! I remember paying half that much not too long ago.

Do you guys pay that much and where are the best places to buy it? I've been buying mine from Kool-Tech and Dean & Wood but I'm convinced they're ripping me off big style!! :rolleyes:

We have started using Dean and Wood because their refrigerant prices are an awful lot cheaper than our normal supplier!
So shop around and hopefully you will get a better deal.
Yes the refrigerant prices are becoming Obscene!
Wherever you are in the trade discount scale!
Cheers Grizzly

Quality
20-09-2010, 07:15 PM
We have started using Dean and Wood because their refrigerant prices are an awful lot cheaper than our normal supplier!
So shop around and hopefully you will get a better deal.
Yes the refrigerant prices are becoming Obscene!
Wherever you are in the trade discount scale!
Cheers Grizzly
I will second that one if you get a discount set up Dean and Wood are very good

gio_ayr
20-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Dean and Wood are certainly one of the cheapest around the Glasgow area. Only thing that put me off buying from them was the fact they wanted £50 for a deposit per bottle. I know it's only a one off payment (per bottle) but it's the initial extra cost for the guys like me that are paying for it out of they're own pockets. Kool-Tech didn't ask for a deposit and they weren't that much more expensive so they get my sales every other week. I know the companies that ask for a deposit are doing it to get the bottles back but for the little guy like me it's not a feasible expense.

Brian_UK
20-09-2010, 10:28 PM
The deposit is also, I expect, their way of paying for all the record keeping that they need to do now.

cadwaladr
20-09-2010, 11:54 PM
hold on i have been told the price is maybe being reduced soon,the supplier i use is selling ofn in greater numbers ,looks like leak detection is the number one priority[as it should be]and the chemical guys are left with too much?

Fri3Oil System
21-09-2010, 07:15 AM
We have always charged 48€ as a deposit per bottle. This helps to avoid the loss of bottles a year, which a huge cost for the wholesaler. This way, contractors take care of them and do return them to be refilled.

Regards,

Nando.

Grizzly
21-09-2010, 08:25 PM
The deposit is also, I expect, their way of paying for all the record keeping that they need to do now.

I do love your sense of humour Brian!
Grizzly:D

Quality
21-09-2010, 08:47 PM
We have got a large quantity of new R134A not AVAILABLE . It is virgin refrigerant its not for sale its just to look at - 36 ton :p