PDA

View Full Version : Flux ?

devlin maguire
17-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi All, Flux how is it best used, dip the hot rod, make up a paste, dust the pipe with a brush before inserting, or use a rod with a higher silver content if so how much % wise what do you use/do
Devlin

chemi-cool
17-09-2010, 08:45 AM
The first and most important, clean the joints to be soldered till they shine, no oil residues.

I use on copper to copper 2% silifus rods and some times 5%.

If you use high silver content rods then you need flux.

Just heat the area to be soldered, add a small amount of flux and once its melted add the rod and with the flame cone, heat up the joint till it is full with the solder metal.

monkey spanners
17-09-2010, 08:00 PM
As Chemi says, you don't need flux on copper to copper joints (also copper plated driers and sight glasses, and danfoss tev's) with rods with between 2% and 15% silver.
You need flux with 38% or 40% silver rods which you'd use on copper to brass or steel.

I buy the flux coated rods, they are plastic coated so the flux stays on, or i use plain rods and dip them in dry powder, i don't like the idea of mixing flux with water in a refrigeration use.

Jon :)

devlin maguire
20-09-2010, 07:52 AM
pretty much as I do I had a discussion with someone who had some differing ideas and I wanted a concensuss
Dev