PDA

View Full Version : Domestic Freezer Duty Cycle Info

SteveH
16-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I am trying to locate statistics on the duty cycle for domestic and/or industrial freezers - i.e. their average on and off time.

I am interested in how long the freezer can be off for under typical without spoiling the food.

Obviously this will depend on a number of factors but looking for typical ball park figures for typical temp settings.

Have spent a while googling but not come up with much

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Brian_UK
16-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Have you tried contacting manufacturers? They may be helpful.

monkey spanners
16-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Put thermometer in freezer at home, turn off freezer, watch thermometer, when its not cold enough, thats how long it can be off for. Simples.

SteveH
17-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks for replying. May have to try energy meter (plogg) if not too much effort to get software working. Just surprised how little information on freezer duty cycles is out there. Only thing I found was a paper on sciencedirect website which suggested about 15 minute on/off periods in normal use. But not sure if this is typical.

Speaking to a manufacturer is an alternative option but imagine getting past sales/marketing dept to a design engineer wont be easy - was hoping to meet such a person on here....

shieldcracker
17-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for replying. May have to try energy meter (plogg) if not too much effort to get software working. Just surprised how little information on freezer duty cycles is out there. Only thing I found was a paper on sciencedirect website which suggested about 15 minute on/off periods in normal use. But not sure if this is typical.

Speaking to a manufacturer is an alternative option but imagine getting past sales/marketing dept to a design engineer wont be easy - was hoping to meet such a person on here....

If it is well designed the refrigerator will have a 20-30 off time. The run time will depend on the product load, assuming steady state compressor should not cycle more than once every 2 hrs. Now newer refrigerator models may have been manufactured with variable speed compressors and this scheme wont apply.

SteveH
23-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks Shieldcracker

mikeref
24-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Domestic freezers run 12-14 hours/day but runtimes can change quite alot depending on ambient temp+ if its an upright or chest freezer. The age of the freezer becomes a significant factor after say 4 years as the very thinly insulated cabinet starts to absorb moisture. A domestic chest freezer left without power( assuming ambient at 26c and at time of powercut, all of contents at -18c and freezer at least 3/4 full) can be restarted and product saved after 18 hours. after 72 hours, eat or throw out. Mince and seafood products are definately the first to spoil. After cyclone LARRY nailed us 4 years ago, sales from supermarket upright freezers were banned within hours as no backup power available for minimum 24 hrs.