PDA

View Full Version : Making my own fridge, help

xander.p
16-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey everyone, basically im a student and for A level product design i was planning on building a fridge into a table so that it will have a cold draw to put drinks and such like.

What i want from you all is, how should i go about making this product?

Thanks xander.p

chemi-cool
16-09-2010, 04:03 PM
My humble opinion only.
Don't.
There are such fridges on the market, you can't get the technology to build one at home.

Brian_UK
16-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Considering that the drawer (note spelling) will be opened and closed the use of regular refrigeration products will be difficult unless you build something into the table itself and blow the cold air into the drawer.

What you might do is use a Peltier cooling device in the drawer which could move without too much trouble.

monkey spanners
16-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Make an ice block machine, make a drawer with a section for the ice blocks and a melt water drain.

Brian_UK
16-09-2010, 10:18 PM
:off topic: Sorry but thinking sideways here; oh not again - they mutter in the background.

This is a student trying to design and build a 'prototype' cooling device using refrigerant.

Is he legally allowed to under the F-Gas Regulations ?

Not having a go at you Xander.P, just interested.

xander.p
20-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey,sorry about any poor spelling and grammar.

My humble opinion only.
Don't.
There are such fridges on the market, you can't get the technology to build one at home.
Thanks for your reply,any chance you can link me to these products that are currently on the market. Obviously my knowledge of this market is poor and not as extensive as the people on this forum.

Considering that the drawer (note spelling) will be opened and closed the use of regular refrigeration products will be difficult unless you build something into the table itself and blow the cold air into the drawer.
Well i could even mount a whole fridge into the table,so you pull out the drawer and then open the fridge door. My plans are not set in stone.The problem i am trying to solve is the lack of storage in student apartments, and the need for a fridge as well as a flat surface.

What you might do is use a Peltier cooling device in the drawer which could move without too much trouble.
This seems like a sensible idea.Any ideas on the price of these?

Make an ice block machine, make a drawer with a section for the ice blocks and a melt water drain.
Sounds like a good idea although surly you will get the problem on mold in the water drain?

This is a student trying to design and build a 'prototype' cooling device using refrigerant.

Is he legally allowed to under the F-Gas Regulations ?

Not having a go at you Xander.P, just interested.
Thank you for raising this issue as i was not aware of the F-Gas Regulations so if somebody could please clear this up would be great.

If i am not ;what other possible ways can i make a cooler drawer.

Thanks for the input.
Xander.

chemi-cool
20-09-2010, 04:54 PM
This is the basic idea
http://www.norcool.com/?page=1128

as I said, there are many companies that make it as final product but you can also buy only the housing with the drwer and add later the the cooling unit.

If its going to be a table, you have to know that refrigeration unit produce heat while cooling. What are you going to do with that?