PDA

View Full Version : Install Dryer to Cap Tube question -"Victory" reach in-

Slyh13
15-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Hey all,

This is my first post and I have a question that might be basic to some. I find myself in a hospital and I'm have a blockage in a Victory refrige.

I've decided to change out the liquid line dryer, I was wondering if anyone could walk me through the steps of actually soldering the cap tube into the new dryer.

Any tips and tricks would be so helpful as I have never done this particular application.

Thank you =D

Slyh13
15-09-2010, 01:23 AM
I'd like to point out that in the past I would have just replaced the cap tube with a txv. Also I'm not new to brazing/soldering as I was a welder for many years. Just looking for some basics for sweating in this cap tube.

tonyhavcr
15-09-2010, 03:09 AM
Hey all,

This is my first post and I have a question that might be basic to some. I find myself in a hospital and I'm have a blockage in a Victory refrigerator.

I've decided to change out the liquid line dryer, I was wondering if anyone could walk me through the steps of actually soldering the cap tube into the new dryer.

Any tips and tricks would be so helpful as I have never done this particular application.

Thank you =D

(then you sad
I'd like to point out that in the past I would have just replaced the cap tube with a txv. Also I'm not new to brazing/soldering as I was a welder for many years. Just looking for some basics for sweating in this cap tube.)

If you can replace a cap tub w/txv Why do you need to have someone walk you through a liquid line dryer change? here you go nitrogen purge.

(http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=203044)

Slyh13
15-09-2010, 03:17 AM
The boss wants me to just put in the new dryer.

Slyh13
15-09-2010, 03:19 AM
The boss wants me to just put in the new dryer.

that's to say ... we have the dryer in stock in the shop. We'd have to order a txv if we were to do it that way. It would take time to approve funding, then order, then ship .. etc etc etc.

Deniver45
15-09-2010, 04:20 AM
Hey all,

This is my first post and I have a question that might be basic to some. I find myself in a hospital and I'm have a blockage in a Victory refrige.

Thank you =D
I think EVERYONE on this website should have some kind of certification; Like MY EPA 608 "universal" certification.........from the US government.

WHO HAS A DOCUMENT they would like to send to me, so I CAN HAVE THE NEW customers sign to ensure I DONT get burned again? I was told THIS PROBLEM is universal and i have talked to people AROUND the world in refrigeration.

WHY DOES EVERYONE, WELL ALMOST EVERYONE EXPECT US TO DROP OUR prices after we quote them a price?

Slyh13
15-09-2010, 04:52 AM
I think EVERYONE on this website should have some kind of certification; Like MY EPA 608 "universal" certification.........from the US government.

WHO HAS A DOCUMENT they would like to send to me, so I CAN HAVE THE NEW customers sign to ensure I DONT get burned again? I was told THIS PROBLEM is universal and i have talked to people AROUND the world in refrigeration.

WHY DOES EVERYONE, WELL ALMOST EVERYONE EXPECT US TO DROP OUR prices after we quote them a price?

What the heck? Are you suggesting that I don't have a Universal? Well I do, and a 410A and a Stationary Engineers Degree.

If you want my full back ground, I joined the Army as at 19, got hit by an IED and got a medical out, went to tech school for welding at 23, found out I'd never make enough money doing that to support my family and switched to HVAC at 25.

Did I prove that I'm worthy enough to be on these forums?

I know I don't have 20 years in, All I'm asking for is some tips and tricks on soldering a flimsy cap tube to a dryer. I don't need a step by step. I just haven't done one yet and don't feel like screwing it up.

Everyone has to start somewhere right? I assure you, I'm not picket crosser, and not in any direct competition with field techs.

Tayters
15-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Fairly straight forward but sometimes the lack of space makes it harder.

After sweating out the old one (making a mental note of how far it was poked inside) make sure the end isn't blocked up with braze, if it is then chop a bit off. To do this I use a file to score a line around the tube then snap it off.
Push it in the new dryer the same amount. Too far and the cap tube will end up against the gauze. This could puncture it, releasing the dryer granules and at best cause a restriction. Too litltle and it'll block up with braze.
Braze up and away you go, pressure test, vac, charge, blah, blah, blah.
Cap tube should exit out the bottom of the dryer so as to ensure a vapour seal.

Before you braze it in I'd be inclined to blow Nitrogen through the suction to make sure the cap isn't blocked.
Make sure the arrows (if there are any) on the dryer are pointing in the direction of flow.

Hope that's helps,

Cheers,

Andy.

monkey spanners
15-09-2010, 07:27 PM
As Tayters said, i'd braze the cap tube into the drier first while purging with nitrogen from the low side charging stub, then braze the liquid line in the other end.
If the hole is too big in the outlet of the drier then braze a stub in and do as above.
The nitrogen is to remove any oxygen and the copper oxide scale that it forms during brazing, copper oxide is the killer in cap tube systems causing blockages etc.

Jon :)