PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity caused this

Deejey
26-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Recently a large supermarket chain was having one of their stores (in my local area) retrofitted with new racks, cabinets etc. during the installation a fire in the plant room destroyed the new racks, the old compressors and all the electrical system.
What caused it...well a fault deveolped in 1 of the old compressor motors. It was tripping the overload. A service mechanic fitted a higher rated overload to keep it running until the new rack came on line. Unfortunately he did not check the motor windings out. Consequently during the night, the motor lost a phase and sat there humming on 2 phases until it got so hot the plastic terminal block melted and dripped onto oil underneath the compressor setting it on fire. It destroyed the whole plant room all the existing refrigeration and the new racks and electrical panels...
The supermarket a major one for the area had to close for several weeks.

Brian_UK
26-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Ooops......

Peter_1
27-06-2005, 06:48 AM
Are 'packs' and 'racks' English expressions for the same sort of machines?

rbartlett
27-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Are 'packs' and 'racks' English expressions for the same sort of machines?

packs is more UK english
racks tends to be american (which is also their term for ladies frontal apendages)

cheers

richard

Deejey
27-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Yes Peter...in the UK they call them packs here in Aussie we call them racks..

benijoseph
27-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Recently a large supermarket chain was having one of their stores (in my local area) retrofitted with new racks, cabinets etc. during the installation a fire in the plant room destroyed the new racks, the old compressors and all the electrical system.
What caused it...well a fault deveolped in 1 of the old compressor motors. It was tripping the overload. A service mechanic fitted a higher rated overload to keep it running until the new rack came on line. Unfortunately he did not check the motor windings out. Consequently during the night, the motor lost a phase and sat there humming on 2 phases until it got so hot the plastic terminal block melted and dripped onto oil underneath the compressor setting it on fire. It destroyed the whole plant room all the existing refrigeration and the new racks and electrical panels...
The supermarket a major one for the area had to close for several weeks.

MR, Dejay,

I am not bothered about < racks> or <packs> but I
THINK austrliain must learn about MCB OR must be
claming insurance?
beni joseph.

benncool
04-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Yes. A American heard from. In America supermarkets do in fact have refrigeration 'racks' in the machine room. Women's breasts are refered to as a 'rack' only if they are nice or big ones. Then it is a 'nice rack'

Cigarettes and/or beer are sold by the 'pack'. Beer in particular is sold in 6 packs, 12 packs, and more recently, 18 packs and 30 packs. :)