PDA

View Full Version : No Help!

Reffnut
11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Im an Engineer of 7 years, i did my Nvq level 2 about 4 years ago but could not carry on after that as my employer wanted me out on the road instead of going to college once a week! Ive now decided i want to go on and get further qualifications level 3, hnc and degree is my aim! However after speaking to several tutors and organisations there is just no help! Basically there doesn't seem to be any evening or online courses to carry on with my qualifications. Everyone ive spoke to is telling me id have to take a day off a week to attend courses, now i dont know what others will think but i dont think my boss would be to impressed with one of his engineers being off once a week!

My point is that were now being told as an industry people have got to start having qualifications to do their job, so how do people who have been in the trade as long or longer than me supposed to get these qualifications while still keeping up with work?

If anyone one else has had this issue or even better if you know of anywhere i can do an online course let me know.

james10
11-09-2010, 06:41 PM
bradford college do evenings and grimsby do block release a bit far for you but i'd have thought most colleges do the same

taz24
13-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Im an Engineer of 7 years,

My point is that were now being told as an industry people have got to start having qualifications to do their job, so how do people who have been in the trade as long or longer than me supposed to get these qualifications while still keeping up with work?

If anyone one else has had this issue or even better if you know of anywhere i can do an online course let me know.

Catch 22 situation.

Compamies won't pay for training so training is few and far between.

There have been no apprenticships for years and years, so the colleges
are strugling to make ends meet. Funding was pulled for adult education
years ago so it is all full cost now.

That does not help you though, does it??

Grimsby offer a correspondence course upto level 3 which works, but for HNC
and degree you have no option but to travel to a college to do the courses
and that will be a 1 day a week at least for upto 3 years for the degree.

If your boss wants to have well trained , qualified engineers he must alow
you the time to get the quals.

No simple answer I'm afraid.

All the best though

taz