PDA

View Full Version : Thermocouples.

Temprite
25-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Hello all.

Just wondering what everyone uses for measuring pipe temps for super heat/sub cool measurements.

I use the K type thermocouple that comes supplied with my Fieldpiece meter and tape it to the pipe with electrical tape.

Was thinking of buying a pipe clamp thermocouple. They are quite expensive are they really worth it?

chemi-cool
25-06-2005, 03:43 PM
I use an electronic thermometer with two K type thermocouples.
Can easily see the difference.
I use a copper stripe like the one that hold the phial of the TXV,

leaves my hands free.

Chemi :)

coolman
25-06-2005, 07:28 PM
We do use a fluke 2 channel meter with memory for highest en lowest reading (good for checking thermostat difference)

Got 2 K type wire sensors. these sensors give a extreem quick reaction
1 k type airprobe
1 k type surface probe
2 k type pipe klamps.

The pipe clamps are used very often for checking expansionvalve overheat, discharge temps, suction temps.

I also posses a infrared probe, I do not tend to use is very often because it is affected bij product color, light etc, I do tend to use it when working on packs to check the temp of the compressor heads.
The actual reading is not imporant, but it gives a fair indication if there are broken or bad sealing valves in the compressor.

Victor

benijoseph
25-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Mr, TEMP-
I got one k and one j sensor thermometer both are equaly good and cheap compared with PT100 sensor thermometer . one digitial thermometer got 6 selector points with 6 k type thermocouple wire are conected which can be
sticked with gumed tape to the pipe or surface to check 6 points off the chambers all the thermocouples are of twisted wire type.
beni joseph

Deejey
26-06-2005, 02:04 AM
We have 20 Fluke 54 dual input digital thermometers with K type probes that are for our student to use in their training. I also have a touch probe and an infrared that I use to check their work.

Abe
26-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Is it possible to see some pics of the equipment , if u have a digital camera handy

Temprite
26-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Here you go Aiyub.

I was looking at the dual temperature head which will fit my meter,but it doesnt come with pipe clamp probes.

www.fieldpiece.com

chemi-cool
26-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi Abe,
Here is the Fluke, good choice.

Chemi :)

Abe
26-06-2005, 10:48 PM
I definately need one!!! Thx

ozairman
28-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Just wondering what everyone uses for measuring pipe temps for super heat/sub cool measurements.

Was thinking of buying a pipe clamp thermocouple. They are quite expensive are they really worth it?

Temprite stick with your K type thermo's I use them all the time for looking at superheats on things, the clamps are bulky unless you work with large sizes in open spaces what size pipes do you work with? Most of the stuff I am involved in is small ~3/4" max so I keep a packet of 3mmx100mm cable ties in the box with my thermometer.

When I get to a job I just use a couple of ties on each thermocouple to attach it to the pipe. One right next to the bead and another about 1/4" down the thermocouple wire to stop it moving around. If I am worried about airflow influencing my readings a bit of 3mm foam tape stuck over it helps.

I also found a good bit of info on the fieldpiece website somewhere once. It suggests stripping about 3/4" of insulation from the thermocouple to get more metal in contact with the pipe and speeds up the response time.

http://www.fieldpiece.com/tech-articles-advances-temperature.htm

Cheers oz

Temprite
01-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Ozairman.
I usually work with pipes max 1 1/4".

Today I made a pipe clamp thermocouple from an old k type bead that I had.Compared it to the method of taping it to the pipe it works just as good.