PDA

View Full Version : Say one thing, and do another!!

murray75
10-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I am puzzled by the working practices of one of my colleagues. When we do maintenance we always change the oil in the compressor, it's just company policy. This guy is very particular and thorough when doing the oil changes, and always does them. So you would think that keeping moisture out of the POE oil we use is priority number 1.
The other day I was doing a compressor change with him. He took the blanking plates off the service valve openings and took out the plugs so everything could be connected back up. So the nitrogen was released from the body of the compressor.
He left it like that for a good long while, and there was no urgency to get it connected up and stop moisture going into the oil. I would have connected it up and put 10psi of nitrogen in there. Now I am not paranoid or obsessive about POE oil, but if he cares so much about oil changes etc, why did he not protect the oil in a brand new compressor? I just left him to it, it's not for me to tell him what to do!!

cool runings
10-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I am puzzled by the working practices of one of my colleagues.

I just left him to it, it's not for me to tell him what to do!!

Is it possible he just did not realise.

You know a blonde moment. If he is normaly aware, maybe he
does not consider the comp change as the same as a oil change.

Bring it up in conversation with him when you have a coffee break sometime.

All the best

coolrunnings

Magoo
11-09-2010, 02:08 AM
The compressor will still be saturated with nitrogen even at zero pressure.

nike123
11-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Because nitrogen is heavier than air.

NoNickName
11-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Exactly. Nitrogen is still inside compressor.

stefen
08-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Exactly. Nitrogen is still inside compressor.

He may not be aware of all this and hence may be taking it casually. You can directly converse with him, in this regard.