PDA

View Full Version : drain heaters , crankcase heaters, door heaters

young gun
09-09-2010, 10:14 AM
what is the best way to test these things????
simply with a MEGGER or????
plzzzzz help

Sandro Baptista
09-09-2010, 10:31 AM
connect it to the electrical power and see what happens :)

NoNickName
09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
connect it to the electrical power and see what happens :)

:D:D and maybe an ammeter comes handy.

young gun
09-09-2010, 11:47 AM
can you test them without putting them to power?????

Sandro Baptista
09-09-2010, 12:36 PM
What you mean by test? Continuity measure or electrical insulation from the "earth"

taz24
09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
what is the best way to test these things????
simply with a MEGGER or????
plzzzzz help

They are heaters at the end of the day so you test
them the same as any electrical component.

If they are low voltage be aware of settings on a megga but
you can check for earth leakage and open / closed circuits with
a good multi meter.

Then if you think it is ok, power it up and test the amps pulled..

All the best

taz

ref717
10-09-2010, 10:49 AM
You don't need a Megger tester, just simply use an accurate resistance meter and obtain the readings. An infinite value may indicate a defective heater, for other values othr than zero use Ohm's Law to determine the integrity of your heaters.")..;

devlin maguire
30-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Or, if you know the wattage you can get the amps by manipulating ohms law a 100 watt heater will draw 0.4amps or of the heater works measure end to end and you should get 529 ohms www.tlc-direct.co.uk (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk) has a calculator in tech section this assumes a 230 V supply
Devlin

nick uk
30-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Had a niggling problem on a copeland scroll.The crankcase heater intermitently tripped the rcd . I replaced the heater and then just over a year later the same problem it was intermitently tripping the RCD again Eventually i the found problem was condensation from the suction accumulator was seeping into the stainless steel band of the heater and causing the RCD to trip but this only happened in high humidity ive replaced it with a mitsubishi rubber heater hopefully no more problems The stainless heater was actually a folded piece of sheet stainless which looked like a tube but had an open seam which the condensation leaked into when the heater was off.
It was an Acson condensor BTW

goshen
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Had a niggling problem on a copeland scroll.The crankcase heater intermitently tripped the rcd . I replaced the heater and then just over a year later the same problem it was intermitently tripping the RCD again Eventually i the found problem was condensation from the suction accumulator was seeping into the stainless steel band of the heater and causing the RCD to trip but this only happened in high humidity ive replaced it with a mitsubishi rubber heater hopefully no more problems The stainless heater was actually a folded piece of sheet stainless which looked like a tube but had an open seam which the condensation leaked into when the heater was off.
It was an Acson condensor BTW
Hi:
that is why an rcd is used!!:)