PDA

View Full Version : nvq adive please!

tristanspence
08-09-2010, 10:46 PM
hi there im Tristan 22 years old, i have been working for a air con company for the last 5 1/2 years, the only qulification i have is 2078. My company is paying for me to do 2079 before christmas, and have also said the will pay for me to do and nvq,

i would like to get nvq level 3, i have been told by the girl at are office who organises training that i have to do a 2 year course to get level 2 then do level 3, can i not go strait for level 3?

will it take 2 years or is there places that offer shorter courses, as are new apprentices do a 2 year course in collage. I consider my self confident in install and fault finding i do not feel i would require any where near the amount of training an 16 year old who has just started would.

any help/ advice would very helpfull, or sugestions off collages/courses near to the oxford area thanks

Reffnut
08-09-2010, 10:52 PM
To get the Nvq level 3 you have to have done the level 2 or they wont let you take the course, im just looking at doing my level 3 as did my 2 4 years ago and its part of the course requirements

Kev The Tool
09-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi Tristan,
firstly to obtain your NVQ level 2 you have to have the City & Guilds 6127 Qualification which basically means you have to take 3 exams, nameley the 101, 201, 202. if you know the answers to the questions you can pass in a week, however if you dont know about pressure enthalpy, refrigerant behaviour, expansion valves, compressor types, 4 way valves, electrical components, ohms law, boyles law, charles law. you cannot obtain an NVQ 2 without these 3 certificates as they make up part of your portfolio. so unless you know the answers you will need the underpinning knowledge which you get from going to college. Hope this helps and hasn't depressed you too much. i was talking to a service guy who has been doing it 12 years he didnt know enough to pass the 2079!!.

Kev The Tool
09-09-2010, 12:49 PM
forgot to mention nvq 3, as i have been informed is for engineers who are running large complexed jobs eg: large 2 & 3 pipe vrv systems, Big chiller projects etc, also i believe you have to be responsible for others working for you or your company. nvq 2 is an entry level qualification. Kev