PDA

View Full Version : Mini split with inverter technology

forgetg
08-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Good afternoon all, I am in south Florida, and we are smack in the middle of the hurricane belt, I have gone for days without A/C...I am putting together a cold room..one room with a mini split a/c unit that will run on a gas generator in the event of a power outage...my question is.....I am looking at a fujitsu 12rls, which has a seer rating of 25 and has Inverter Technology...I have been told that these Inverter Technology units are very sensitive and running this unit off a generator may not work....does anyone have any experience running Inverter Technology based A/C on a gas powered generator

Thanks in advance

goshen
12-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Hi :
as long as your power supply ,meaning voltage is steady ,you should have no problem.we ran these units of a generator supply with no aparent faults.

chilliwilly
20-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Yes that's right.

If your mini split is rated for say 4 kw, then your genny needs to be around the top side of 6 kw. The more load you put on a generator, the slower it will try to go until it bottoms out on overload. Unless it has a self regulating speed control that maintains a constant voltage and frequency.

If it trips out out on overload, you might be able to get into the invertor parameters and adjust them. So the duty of the split is reduced. Allowing you to have at least some comfort, instead of non at all. Or maybe just adjust the temp setting so the pots running at a reduced speed.

Mr.Ductless
05-10-2010, 02:41 AM
You will not be able to adjust any parameters on this inverter, all software is loaded up in the factory and no changes can be made. I would not recommend running this unit on a generator but if you absolutely have to a voltage monitor is recommended, ICM makes a good one. Voltage monitor will protect the VFD from burning out during a voltage dip or spike by cutting off power.

mikeref
05-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Good afternoon all, I am in south Florida, and we are smack in the middle of the hurricane belt, I have gone for days without A/C...I am putting together a cold room..one room with a mini split a/c unit that will run on a gas generator in the event of a power outage...my question is.....I am looking at a fujitsu 12rls, which has a seer rating of 25 and has Inverter Technology...I have been told that these Inverter Technology units are very sensitive and running this unit off a generator may not work....does anyone have any experience running Inverter Technology based A/C on a gas powered generator

Thanks in advance
Personally i wouldn't run any electronics off any small generator (for home use) unless it was a pure sinewave. So many modified square wave units about in this country, example, after cyclone took out power some 4 years ago for up to 3 weeks in areas, people were running any generator for fridges/ freezers/ lighting etc. Some were just too small for application but lots of damage done to appliances from generators..mike.

ClimateControl
15-11-2010, 03:20 PM
If you purchase a Fijustu online, and have it installed by someone who is not an authorized installer, you will void your warranty.