PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the energy usage of Air conditioning

Drakill Tannan
08-09-2010, 01:46 AM
I'm looking for ideas on how to reduce the electrical cost of air conditioning for mantaining a storage at cool temperatures in hot enviorments with high humidity. I'd like to see if any of you could point me in the right direction, the sistem hasn't been purchased yet, so i'm looking for the most cost-effective HVAC sistem posible, and open to other ideas such as replacing the sistem for an entirely different one (For example, switching the HVAC for a cooler and somehow dry the air entering the cooler to make it efficient.. not sure if it's cost-effective or even posible), any tip on how could it use a bit less of energy would also be apreciated.

Thanks for the help.

NoNickName
08-09-2010, 07:49 AM
I would suggest:

2007 - 1706 . Challenges and developments of subtropical residential air conditioning. Challenges and developments of subtropical residential air conditioning.(English English)
DENG S. M. DENG S. M.

2005 - 2778 . Exergy analysis of air cooling systems in buildings in hot humid climates.(English)
ALPUCHE M. G. / HEARD C. / BEST R. / et

You can purchase the articles above at http://www.iifiir.org/en/resources.php?rub=1

desA
08-09-2010, 08:09 AM
This thread could become a very interesting one.

To the OP - what ideas do you presently have, which we could all comment on?

Drakill Tannan
10-09-2010, 02:33 PM
To be honest, i am mostly clueless. My first thought was to somehow dry the air, then pass it through cooler. I am not sure how quickly could one dry the air, and how cost-effective it would be energy-wise.

I also gave a good look at coolerado, it seemes to be the ideal solution if the air can somehow be kept dry. However i was also thinking in replacing the water with some other fluid in the sistem, so that even if the ambient is very humid, the machine works still.

ctscasemod
10-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm looking for ideas on how to reduce the electrical cost of air conditioning for mantaining a storage at cool temperatures in hot enviorments with high humidity. I'd like to see if any of you could point me in the right direction, the sistem hasn't been purchased yet, so i'm looking for the most cost-effective HVAC sistem posible, and open to other ideas such as replacing the sistem for an entirely different one (For example, switching the HVAC for a cooler and somehow dry the air entering the cooler to make it efficient.. not sure if it's cost-effective or even posible), any tip on how could it use a bit less of energy would also be apreciated.

Thanks for the help.
If you have an old unit with SEER of abou 10, you can add a TXV, this way the compressor will use less power when not needed and the evaporator temperature is kept consant = confort + humidity removal.

This can raise seer to about 12-13.

Keep the evaporator clean, you may have to disassemble the unit, as most of the time it is hidden.

This will prevent your SEER from dropping to maybe 6 or 7!

If you are buying a new unit search for one wich will either be inverter (compressor speed varies with demand) or a two compressor outside unit. They both should have a TXV too. This way you can have SEER from 16 to 20.

nike123
10-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Three ways are possible to make savings.
Equipment with higher EER (SEER)
Better insulation
Energy recovery from exhaust air