PDA

View Full Version : Zephyr 30s Chiller or freezer??

amberm76
07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi all, I hope someone can help. We bought a van advertised as a freezer van. On having it looked at by our engineer, it seems it is only suitable as a chiller. The gas in it is R134a which I know is a chiller gas BUT the info on carrier transicold's website says the unit is ideal for transporting chilled or frozen goods. It also has 2 capacity measurements on the website, 1 for -20 /+30 and 1 for 0/+30.
Does anyone know if this unit can freeze down to a suitable temperature, we need -18!

Thank you in advance.

abbsnowman
07-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Hello. The Zepher 30, (or Integra 30 on this side of the pond), is a variable engine driven unit. Depending on the size of the box it will do frozen. Having said that, the only time I have seen any variable unit have success with frozen is when unit is on constantly. (Either running on road or plugged in on stand-by.) If you try to cool a box to frozen temp from ambient, it wil take a very long time.
Another issue on the maintnance side is, once they hit low temps, the pressures get low and the compressor shaft seal will allow air and moisture in. Often shutting down on low pressure.
I suppose the simple answer to your question is what I usualy tell my customers, "anything is possible but this is a tough one." If you require this for "quick deliveries, you may be ok.

radekklimat
09-09-2010, 06:57 AM
What kind of car that has a cubic building?
Perhaps the seller has put you in error and this unit does not give advice to -18 in large buildings and besides that I thought would be a unit which works on R404a factor due to the greater cooling capacity

amberm76
09-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi there, Thank you for the replies, I was quite sure that this was the case but it's nice to get confirmation from a few more people in the know! I will be changing the vehicle :-)