PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Kegerator

BeerGuy
06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
I was hoping to get some advice on making a homemade fridge for storing and dispensing draft beer. I'm obviously not a refridgeration engineer, I'm actually a pro brewer, so I'd really appreciate the opinions of anybody willing to help.

What I would like to do is use the cooling components of a standard residential refridgerator to cool a custom made box. This would be for use in my home, not in a brewery. The box would be very close to the same volume of a fridge, the dimensions would just be different. I want a box that will store kegs better than a regular fridge (not as tall, easier access to the top of kegs, good spot to mount faucets, etc). The box would be a wood frame with styrofoam insulation.

Is this possible? If it is, any advice? I'm pretty handy, so I don't need step by step instructions. I'd really appreciate any tips or opinions though.

Second question, I already have a fridge that I would like to use as a parts donor. The problem is that I killed it a few months ago. I was drilling a hole in the side and hit a compressed gas line (yes, I know it was a bonehead move). Can the cooling system from this fridge be repaired by myself or a professional? If it's possible for me to repair it, what would I need to do?

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you live in the LA area.......I've been known to trade free beer for favors :D

mikeref
07-09-2010, 05:32 AM
Hey Beerguy, the fridge you damaged, was it running fine before, and if so, was it suitable to fit one keg? If yes and yes then get it going first as you know where not to drill one hole. Have to know gas type and if this fridge is frost free. (Terrible word). work on 2nd Q later.. mike.

BeerGuy
08-09-2010, 12:24 AM
My fridge worked fine before I drilled into the gas line. It could hold 1 1/2 bbl keg, or 4 1/6 bbl kegs.