PDA

View Full Version : Indesit fridge freezer not working

warm
06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi

I'm having trouble with an Indesit fridge freezer model no CG1304SIUK I've had it for about 10 years so it will be out of warranty but I'm hoping I can fix it, or at least work out if its worth having fixed.
I'm not a refrigeration engineer so I've been doing a lot of guessing, I'm hoping you guys can separate out what is fact and help me get to the bottom of it.

We got home yesterday after a week away to find water all over the kitchen floor and the fridge/freezer not working. Most of the food which was in the freezer seems to be OK and what was in the fridge was just about on the turn. It was completely defrosted though and the overflow tray was empty. That makes me think it had been off for about 2-3 days.

I pulled out the fridge to give it a check. The condenser coils were dirty and the rubber tube which feeds the overflow tray was dirty.
I've cleaned it all out anyway and it didn't help.
The compressor appears to be running but I'm not sure I can hear any fans running. There is a sound of constant running water inside the fridge which appears to be coming from the evaporator coils in the freezer which doesn't seem right to me.

I left it off overnight last night to let the compressor cool down but that doesn't appear to have helped.

I read somewhere that sometimes the defrost timer can stick on these types of fridge/freezer but I can't find where to access it to see if thats the case. I also can't find where to access the fans to see if they are the problem

Does anybody know where these are found on this fridge or have any suggestions for how to get it working?

Thanks in advance for you help.

George

344martin
06-09-2010, 09:28 PM
The running water sound is indicative of the unit having lost its refrigerant (gas). It's a straightforward model, using the evaporator for the freezer as the shelves and a "wet-wall" fridge (evaporator behind liner at rear of fridge). There are no fans as you would find in frost-free units. The switching of the compressor is by a mechanical thermostat, which can be assumed to be ok as compressor is running. It also runs on R134a gas which MUST be recovered and recycled if system is opened (mandatory £10,000 fine for KNOWINGLY venting to atmosphere), but sounds like yours has gone anyway. Best bet call an engineer, but at 10 years I would suggest it's time to get rid and buy a new one.