PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt LED lighting

kengineering
04-09-2010, 04:26 PM
I am installing some LED lighting in a salad bar sneeze guard. There is existing wire in place from the old system and would like to use it since pulling new wire would be a pain in the A. What if any problems would there be using a heavier wire then needed. I know you can't go with a lighter gauge if amp draw exceeds the rating. what happens when you go t he other way?

Ken

Tayters
04-09-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't think it makes a difference. If you were installing from scratch then you'd be paying more for bigger cable that's all.

Only thing that I could see wrong in your case (well, for the purist anyway) is more connections. Over here RS Components sell crimp connectors with heat shrink built in them which I've used and had no problems.

If you're adapting something then sometimes you've got to use bits of what's already there.

Cheers,

Andy.

goshen
04-09-2010, 05:53 PM
I am installing some LED lighting in a salad bar sneeze guard. There is existing wire in place from the old system and would like to use it since pulling new wire would be a pain in the A. What if any problems would there be using a heavier wire then needed. I know you can't go with a lighter gauge if amp draw exceeds the rating. what happens when you go t he other way?

Ken
Hi:
as said you should have no problem.:)

mikeref
06-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Ken, LED's are minimal power items making them attractive for solar systems etc. No problems for having heavier wire to run them.. mike

kengineering
06-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks to all for the conformation to my thoughts.
One more question though: I 've always realized low voltage systems have no ground. I have assumed it's because at 12 volts and minimal amperage there is no danger. But is this correct? Ken

chemi-cool
06-09-2010, 03:59 PM
!2v is the highest voltage with no ground, 24V can already be dangerous And therefore needs grounding.

You don't need a heavier cable as each bulb doe's not consume more then 5W.

Such system uses transformer with two diferent windings so the lights circuit is not connected to the main system. The transformer has to be grounded.