PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Leak Detection : the basis please !

pvl
01-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi,
I want to detect leaks by infrared. How does it work ? Do I need to inject something ?

Mark
01-09-2010, 04:13 PM
pvl

Try these for a start.

http://www.inficonrefrigerantleakdetectors.com/en/d-tek-refrigerantleakdetector.html

http://www.tqplc.com/

Hand Held and Fixed Monitoring........

pvl
02-09-2010, 08:46 AM
ok, this device can be used alone. But why do they sell kits with glasses and dye cartridge? There are two methods of detection?

Tony
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi pvl,

The dye and glasses you are talking about uses a UV light and glasses to see the dye staining on the pipework.

With this method, you inject a dye in to the system, it then mixes with the oil and refrigerant in the system and then travels around the system with the oil and refrigerant.

If a leak develops, the dye will leave a stain at the point of the leak. To see the stain you need the UV light - to enhance the stain (make it easier to see) put on the glasses.

It does however have problems: a) ensure you have the compressors manufacturers authority, if you want to maintain your warranty, b) once the dye is in there its there for keeps, c) as soon as you put your gauges on that system, the dye gets in your gauges and when you purge your hoses, the dye goes everywhere, d) when you have a leak and find it, you need to clean the stain off and thats a pig to do.

My advice would be to avoid dye unless you have no alternative.

pvl
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I understand better now. The infrared technology of the D-TEK is the last.

glenn1340
02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
I`ve never been keen on this type of leak detection. In my opinion if a leak allows dye to escape it normally allows oil to do so too, look for oil residue. As Tony says it can be a pig to decontaminate everything aferwards.
I`d only use it as a last resort.

Tayters
02-09-2010, 10:04 PM
When I worked at a garage back in the day we added the dye as a standard procedure when working on the A/C.

It made looking for leaks very easy compared to electronic sniffers as access was always restricted.
Now I'm on more commercial stuff electronic sniffers and leak spray seem the way to go.

Don't forget that if your system has an effiecient oil seperator then leak dye may not show up as well, unless the leak is in the oil system;)

Cheers, Andy.

Yuri B.
03-09-2010, 05:31 PM
And you may forget about moisture indicator after you have injected the UV dye into the system - from now on it will be showing "wet."

pvl
20-09-2010, 04:52 PM
thank you all for your answers!

Peter_1
21-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I understand better now. The infrared technology of the D-TEK is the last.

This is something completely different, this is the technology use in the D-tek which is different from the other manufacturers (heated pentode)
But this has nothing to do with inserting a dye in the system, it's only based (the IR of D-tTek) on the working principle the internal gas sensing element.

johnmack
23-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi,
There are many leak detection method are available through infrared one such method is Infrared Thermal Imaging Scans and Reports using Infrared Cameras to detect and document anomalies which are often invisible to the naked eye.No you do not inject anything.

pvl
13-07-2011, 02:17 PM
can you give me the name or brand of this kind of tool ?

Magoo
14-07-2011, 02:39 AM
I have seen an Apple I Phone with a thermal imaging aps..