PDA

View Full Version : What did we do today?

Pages : [1] 2 3

monkey spanners
31-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I though it would be interesting to post what our days are like, would be good reading for anyone thinking of being a fridgy and interesting to see what others get to work on.

Was supposed to be going to Ross-on-Wye to fit an economy seven box on an ice builder but got two calls in the Aylesbury direction instead.

Got to site found milk at 7.8C (should be below 3.5C) and climbed up on the roof, found both units running, a quick laying on of hands found one comp nice and cool and the other very hot.

Chucked the gauges on and found the hot one not pumping very well, wouldn't go below 30psi and running at 4.9A instead of 7ish A on the other one.

New comp time! As the original Copeland comp is obselete i've ordered a nice L'unite to replace it with :D

Second job was a ice bank probe shorted causing the tank to freeze up soild, good job the had pleanty of hot water so i could melt my way through to the probe.

If all goes to plan i'll get to Ross tomorrow and pick up a new evap for a takeaway and the new comp and burn out drier.

Jon :)

Quality
31-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Not my usual day was today - friend calls can you top my car AC
Bring it round I said , he did I , jacked it up to see a hole in the side of compressor.
£400 lighter he returns with compressor from honda CRV that is
another 6 hours later its fitted and the rest is history

Subframe off all engine mounts off -- absolute nightmare be warned Honda CRV:(

Colin G
31-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Bring it round I said , he did I , jacked it up to see a hole in the side of compressor.

the reason i dont like working on cars alright if you have a 4 poster ramp but not a nice job to do on a driveway :rolleyes:

monkey spanners
31-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEtYI_OIHok

Jon :p

monkey spanners
31-08-2010, 10:13 PM

You would think he'd have heard it go bang!

james10
01-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Serviced a chiller unit queued through traffic to get home just another typical day.But tomorrow i'm away fishing HAPPY DAYS:D:D:D:D

Grizzly
01-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Today was just trying to sort out tired and old R22 chillers, and loosing the battle.
Good one in the early hours of Saturday though!
I managed to charge 500kg of R407c in 3.5 hrs (which i thought was good going?)
It took another 1,5 hrs to add the further 200kgs. But in my defence 18 of the remaining cylinders where 9kg ones!
OH! I almost forgot, it involved 3/8" lines and a Space heater!
Grizzly

monkey spanners
01-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Have a good day fishing James,

Picked up new evap on the way to site, broke three drill bits trying to fix the new control box to stainless steel, had a bit of a job fitting the low ice probe, has to be cable tied to the evaporator pipe so up to my elbow in ice water trying to do up two cable ties one handed as i couldn't fit my other arm between the ice banks. You can feel the cold blood go back up your arm :confused:

Picked up the new compressor for tomorrow from newbury on the way back. Loaded up the van with a selection of pipe and a recover bottle.

supra_84
01-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Just finished Installing 16000 litre Roka Tank, 2 comps H/R Ice Builder, Plate cooler.
Onto the next job where, who knows

monkey spanners
01-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Just finished Installing 16000 litre Roka Tank, 2 comps H/R Ice Builder, Plate cooler.
Onto the next job where, who knows

Thats a pretty big tank, change over or was it a new dairy? It can be a lot of work to get done between milkings!
I've only fitted one Roka tank, about 7000L seems very reliable.

Brian_UK
01-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Well this is what I posted yesterday, but like a wally I put it in the wrong thread...

Replaced a leaking boiler gas control valve and told them to get their drains cleaned as the rest of the smell was not from the gas main.

Did a service on a few splits, nothing much to report there I'm afraid.

Going to fire up a solar water heater tomorrow after the summer shut-down. Sounds silly doesn't it? But it is a school and not used during the holiday period. Hey Ho.

And the follow up is that the solar system is still crap even after a recent visit for repairs by the 'experts'.

Uncovered the panels, waited for the sun to come up and watched the panel start to produce steam as the system was full of air and short of fluid.

So the panels are covered again and the gas fired water heaters are still working well. :)

paul_h
02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Today was just trying to sort out tired and old R22 chillers, and loosing the battle.
It took another 1,5 hrs to add the further 200kgs. But in my defence 18 of the remaining cylinders where 9kg ones!
Grizzly

Wow, that's a massive amount of refrigerent. Big systems hey ;)
Makes me laugh about being reluctant to add a WHOLE 30Kg to that ice machine. :D

Grizzly
02-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Wow, that's a massive amount of refrigerent. Big systems hey ;)
Makes me laugh about being reluctant to add a WHOLE 30Kg to that ice machine. :D
Yep it was a larger than normal system even for us Industrial guys!
I must still be tired from it though, as it was R404a not R407c as I posted.
The larger the charge the more to loose when a pipe fractures.
Cheers Grizzly

supra_84
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Thats a pretty big tank, change over or was it a new dairy? It can be a lot of work to get done between milkings!
I've only fitted one Roka tank, about 7000L seems very reliable.

Not that Big really these days, biggest milk tank we have fitted is a 50,000 litre for Waitrose

Was a changeover in a sence, that we ripped out the old tanks ( 3 forwards) We supplied him 2 loan tanks and hooked up one of his old tanks outside as a tempoary Measure, then obviously the old room had the Ice Builder inside.
But the new tank was outside on a plith with a remote washbox.
Installed lots of roka tanks, not so many new but 3 more to go in atm. But seem to be putting in lots of secound hand tanks.

coolhibby1875
02-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Yep it was a larger than normal system even for us Industrial guys!
I must still be tired from it though, as it was R404a not R407c as I posted.
The larger the charge the more to loose when a pipe fractures.
Cheers Grizzly

thats a huge system, i have looked after tesco sites with 13 roof top plants, all with 8 scrolls and the whole site would use only 2 3rds of what you have added, i think systems this size are exactly what gives the green brigade the amo they need to jump on the old fridge band wagon! on a lighter note i have done nixie kia ae today other than surf the net and drink tea:)

Grizzly
02-09-2010, 09:30 PM
thats a huge system, i have looked after tesco sites with 13 roof top plants, all with 8 scrolls and the whole site would use only 2 3rds of what you have added, i think systems this size are exactly what gives the green brigade the amo they need to jump on the old fridge band wagon! on a lighter note i have done nixie kia ae today other than surf the net and drink tea:)

You are not wrong coolhibby.
You don't get plants that big anymore, nor should you.
But as they say, what we got is what we got!
Personally i would of preferred Ammonia!
Which they have as well!
Cheers Grizzly

monkey spanners
02-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Grizzly

Thats more than i'd use in a year! Took a 12kg bottle of R404A back to nrs this week and i'd had it so long they couldn't find it on the system :D

Fitted my comp today, run up the system and found the head pressure climbing up towards 360psi so had to wash out the condenser when i though i would be on the way home, wonder if thats what killed the old one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3_nC0uIRJE

If the phone stays quiet tomorrow i'm off to the Great Dorset Steam Fair :D

Quality
03-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Here is the compressor ,Not a very clear picture but ya can`t miss the hole

After fitting the new compressor I found that a faulty HP switch caused it.

I unplugged one of the fans and the head pressure went up to about 450 psi then the clutch started slipping.

As monkey said the bloke must of heard it pop

All sorted now

Grizzly
03-09-2010, 07:57 AM
If the phone stays quiet tomorrow I'm off to the Great Dorset Steam Fair

You and the bottom half of the UK.
What time did you start queueing at?

Thats more than I'd use in a year!

I won't start talking about "Pigs of Refrigerant" then!

Took a 12kg bottle of R404A back to nrs this week

Did they credit you anything like what they are now charging for it?

Here is the compressor

The one Jon is talking about?

Not that Big really these days, biggest milk tank we have fitted is a 50,000 litre for Waitrose

It is all a question of scale really guys.
I site I look after processes between 1 to 1.5 million Litres of Milk a day.

Big is usually simpler, as you all know it's the small stuff that can be the most difficult!
Cheers Grizzly.

monkey spanners
03-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Quality,

It always amazes me how bad things can be and yet no one heard a thing :D

Grizzly,

Spent about 20/30 minutes queing to get in after a slight detour due to Dave wanting to avoid Salisbury.
A good day out really, may have eated too many donuts...

The 12kg was empty so no credit but al least they will stop charging bottle rental now!

sedgy
03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
now then , when you all get as old as me? you may want to take it easy
with dreaming of working , I usually get up at about 10 am -11-00 have a cup of tea + 3wheetabix + milk + honey a swift walk round the corner in the local supermamcardo , a daily mail < E1-50< 4 more steps into the airis bar for the first of my 2 coffees descaffenado con lechy e machina
by this time the locals are comin in today Pacho brought me 2 kilows of figs barto price one coffee < paid in full < papa raffa arived promply at that time with one 3 kilo agwa melon <too big for me < so I swopped it for an english breakfast I made arrangements to pick up more figs and loads of wild grapes the morning after and a promice< I cannot go into that at the moment< going back to my appartment < feeling a bit blowted< I accepted a lift off a local mate of mine who has a bar in town , he asked me about beer coolers , I said ah very complicardo added one pint of water job done- a prommice of a nite out with meal+ free beer+ wine he dropped me off and I had a early siesta, well earned.

sedgy
03-09-2010, 11:55 PM
hi all a tipical morning work for a mature ex tec,after dreaming of water chillers blowing up I usually get up at 11-00 have my cup of tea, 3 wheetabix with milk + hony.
walking stick in hand , a slow methodical walk round the corner to the supermacardo for my daily mail, then into the airis bar the first of my coffee descafinado,s went down well .
but by this time the locals are arriving , packo first 2 kilo of figs - one coffee americano, < one euro< then papa raffa in and smiling< whats he got?< ah a 3 kilo agwa melon , too big for us so that was exchanged for an english breakfast < only just got it down < I was just reading my paper and having my 2nd coffee , when one of the local bar owners drove past , did a quick stop reverced draged me into his jilloppy + asked whats the problem with his beer cooler ? I shook my head sideways several times. and he looked sad into his bar one pint of water flashcooler ok and a promice of a nite out with a meal + beer + wine- well not a bad mornings work for an old feller.

Latte
04-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Picked up my new van, Previous one only 11 months old but already spanked it for 44k so guess they thought it had better be changed. Gone from a vauxhall vivaro to a merc vito. hated it earlier (Been on Vivaros with various emplyers for about 6 years so liked them) but this is growing on me very quickly. LWB version, #### loads of room inside, good engine and drivers comfort up there with the best, Vivaros may now be down to 2nd place now

coolhibby1875
04-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Picked up my new van, Previous one only 11 months old but already spanked it for 44k so guess they thought it had better be changed. Gone from a vauxhall vivaro to a merc vito. hated it earlier (Been on Vivaros with various emplyers for about 6 years so liked them) but this is growing on me very quickly. LWB version, #### loads of room inside, good engine and drivers comfort up there with the best, Vivaros may now be down to 2nd place now

agreed, i like the vito too, only drawback with the vito is fuel consumption, man those mercs are thirsty!

cadwaladr
04-09-2010, 06:10 PM
i do some work for one of my customers on the refrigerated trailers but have been looking after the main cold store refrigeration equipment wow is there a big difference.10hp as against 100hp!,its very interesting but now they think i can mend anything including the moving racking system in the store man i think i may be being groomed as their maintenence engineer could see me up to retirement but i hate working at the same place variety whats i like.

Silhouette
04-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Got back last night from a week in sunny Berwick on Tweed! Ran up a new Tesco site on C02, Star packs, sub and transcritical systems. Will be back on Monday to complete the job as the store opens next Monday. I will be away sailing from Wednesday so someone else will finish up the paperwork He He!

Latte
04-09-2010, 10:33 PM
agreed, i like the vito too, only drawback with the vito is fuel consumption, man those mercs are thirsty!

Mine aint, limited to 111Kph !!!!!!

monkey spanners
07-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Fitted a new scroll comp on a farm, old one was a ZR72 with rotalocks but they are only available now with stubs so fitted a ZB45 instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMMvx0vYFWg

Old comp looks to have some severe copper plating and bearing wear!

Still haven't found time to do the new evap at the restaurant, have provisionally booked it in for thursday but it depends on the customer due to it being the end of Ramadan.

Kev The Tool
07-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi Guys,
officially had the day from hell today, relocate two cassettes, repipe and leave under pressure in london city, left brum at 5 got there at 11 !!, then got sent down with the wrong pipe so i phoned the office to find out who had surveyed the site. nobody, was the answer i got. so i went to camden to get the correct pipe,took an hour and ten to get there, after queing in climate for 30 mins got told your on stop. great, phoned the office to be told to use 5/8, 3/8 instead of the correct 1/2, 1/4. unfrickinbelieveable. in the end i left at 6 and i've just walked in.

Brian_UK
07-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Went fishing to day, well I am on leave. :D

coolhibby1875
07-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Went fishing to day, well I am on leave. :D

did you catch anything?

Brian_UK
07-09-2010, 11:14 PM
did you catch anything?
Not a lot to be honest; a few small Whiting, baby Pollack and a couple of fair sized Pollack.

Got dark so went home. ;)

coolhibby1875
08-09-2010, 09:26 AM
:)
Not a lot to be honest; a few small Whiting, baby Pollack and a couple of fair sized Pollack.

Got dark so went home.

Thats a lot more than i have been catching, not caught anything in last 7 trips sea fishing of the east coast of Scotland, going to try the west coast next week, hopefully more fish there:)

paul_h
08-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Pull my hair out.

Went to a daikin ducted a/c. The condensing unit is on the ground in an alleyway, so they got a steel cage put around it.
The steel cage was built in situ, tightly around the unit. Whoever did it was really happy with how inpenetrable it was I guess, and sealed the deal by dabbing a weld over all the nuts holding it together and securing it to the ground.

How the hell is anyone supposed to service or repair it when the cage doesn't come apart?

Told them I'll be back tomorrow with a grinder.

edit: Also a call back to a unit that had no refrigerant last week. I had leak tested, reflared and recharged it on thursday. It stopped on saturday apparently. Well I went back today and found the compressor seized :(

Least I didn't stuff up the leak repair :p But they aren't happy customers anymore

Goober
14-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Paul H,

Sympathise with ya brother...through no fault of your own, you and your company are made to look like complete idiots and at worst dodgy repairers. Hopefully you have a good working relationship with the customer. Days and things like this that make me question my career path. :mad:

r.bartlett
14-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Today got asked to pop along to look at an ice flaker which one of our engineers had looked at earlier.

He expressed access issues and the Maintenance Manager asked if I'd give my appraisal

This has been in 7 years and no one knew it was even there. It has never been serviced as the pool guy's thought ice flakes appeared down the tube as if by magic.
The white panel was cut only after they reported "No ice" so the maintenance manager and my engineer went looking for the flaker unit..

You can see it has lost it's gas but to repair it I told him the hole needs to be a whole lot bigger!

Grizzly
14-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Today got asked to pop along to look at an ice flaker which one of our engineers had looked at earlier.

He expressed access issues and the Maintenance Manager asked if I'd give my appraisal

This has been in 7 years and no one knew it was even there. It has never been serviced as the pool guy's thought ice flakes appeared down the tube as if by magic.
The white panel was cut only after they reported "No ice" so the maintenance manager and my engineer went looking for the flaker unit..

You can see it has lost it's gas but to repair it I told him the hole needs to be a whole lot bigger!

Absolute Magic!
Down in the south west we would call a gynaecologist!
Or maybe a priest to read the last rights!
Thanks for that one.
Just how do you propose to leak check that?
It's not on R22 is it?
Cheers Grizzly:D

monkey spanners
14-09-2010, 10:39 PM

Its a wonder it worked at all let alone for seven years :confused:

Jon :D

Latte
14-09-2010, 10:59 PM

just check through my fuel receipts as ive now down 2000 miles and up till now my mpg is 37mpg average over those miles. Had 40mpg on the first tank, ive fueled up at tescos 3 times and my cumsumption down to 36 when on their fuel

regards

Latte

r.bartlett
15-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Absolute Magic!
Down in the south west we would call a gynaecologist!
Or maybe a priest to read the last rights!
Thanks for that one.
Just how do you propose to leak check that?
It's not on R22 is it?
Cheers Grizzly:D

This is in a 4* hotel in Gloucester.I told the MM he will need to make a much larger hole and we'll come back and have another look, :)

As regards gas -not clue as yet!

r.bartlett
15-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Its a wonder it worked at all let alone for seven years :confused:

It's got a water cooled condenser we can see that much and a gas leak as there's oil in the base. Due to the construction we can't make the hole big enough to get the unit out so it's all in situ stuff..:cool:

It's an obvious latent defect but as the fit out company went bust last year (Ramparts) the hotel is on it's own

monkey spanners
22-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Yesterday i got called to a beer cellar at a local pub for not cooling, found the fan on the condenser seized up, was a nice old Prestcold 3/4hp unit dating from the 1980's. Didn't have a motor on the van so a quick call to the wholesalers and off to get one, return and fit. I like working on these old units, makes a nice change!
Washed out the condenser and managed to fill my back pocket up with water while rolling up the hose afterwards :confused:

Today was off to Uttoxeter on a jolly to pick up a bumper for my truck restoration project, guy only wanted £20 for it! just needs sand blasting and painting :D

Brian_UK
22-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Went to do a quick recce of a site where I have got to do a boiler service.

Mutterings that it is a garden centre, yeah right.

Found two 24MW gas fired boilers; told the guy in the office and his comment was - "Did I price it properly or not?"

Well it is a little larger than the normal we do now-a-days.

Interesting system layout in big greenhouses; the boilers produce a clean exhaust so they draw off some of the fumes to feed the greenhouse with CO2 which the plants convert back to O2. Talk about going green.;)

glenn1340
23-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Nothing to do with fridge stuff but my daughter came round last night with her car, she says a red "cup " is coming on on the dashboard. Sure enough it`s the oil light. I asked her when she last checked the oil, "er what`s that" she replied. On checking the dipstick I found nothing on it. I attempted to pour some oil in the filler cap only to find it blocked with a black paste...remants of long burnt oil. It turns out it`s done 51,000 miles without an oil change!! I says a lot for Jap engineering. After I filled it up it ran as sweet a nut.
That`s what I did last night, I now know what I`m doing Sunday...a slightly overdue service on her car.

Andy AC
23-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Replaced a glass panel on a lincat drop in display unit.
It was a real pig of a job:mad: Just getting the shelves out of those things is a nightmare. I'm glad it was just the small flat panel at the top and not the curved bits.

Andy

W.Miller
24-09-2010, 02:07 AM
I recovered charge on a imi hi-lo aircon system and added 2 shots of leak detection dye. I then put the charge back in system and run system up. Tommorow I will go round with the glasses and torch.
Checked a mitshubishi split as well indoor unit was blowing hot air, possible shortage of r22, If it is I will just condemn it. But thats a job for this morning.
Oh yeah changed a fan motor in a corner shop dairy fridge.

FreezerGeezer
24-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Got annoyed and applied for a new job.

W.Miller
24-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Made a mistake can't just condemn the mitshibushi, it works, but is short. Rookie mistake.

glenn1340
24-09-2010, 07:34 PM
We had a Hitachi cassette system delivered to site, opened the boxes to check for any damage (didn`t want to try and claim for damage a day or so later) lo and behold the outdoor unit had been dropped. The compressor is at a strange angle in the cabinet and lots of pipes are bent. Hoping for a new one to be delivered for Monday.
I can`t say I`m to bothered about another day on site as they do a full breakfast and tea for £3

mikeref
29-09-2010, 04:43 AM
Sloooow day on the home front( have the flu anyway) so i've been reading through chit-chat history. up th page 15. Some incredible subjects. I've now got a fairly good handle on the main characters of today, for example Grizzly, i had you pegged as the character from : It ain't half hot mum, Y'now seargent major, anyway I can add further to others profile later if requested but before i'm" moderated" off here for hijacking Jon's thread, can i just say i'm still waiting for that free beer( in good faith) from your post Jon...... mike.

Grizzly
29-09-2010, 08:47 AM
for example Grizzly, i had you pegged as the character from : It ain't half hot mum, Y'now seargent major,

And your impression is now?
Grizzly

jonjon
29-09-2010, 05:13 PM
well ive changed 20 strip lights and unblocked 3 toilets not bad 2 say am a a/c engineer ! :S

james10
29-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Decanted r22 from a 21 year old chiller then removed evap end plate so it can be re-shelled all good fun

Quality
29-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Today, I gave a consultancy briefing to 6 guys from a well known industrial company.

No big deal it seems but

2 were Irish

2 were Scottish

2 were Londoners

where is this leading ???????

I am from Yorkshire, probably one of the twangyest accents around :o

We actually had a good day and some proper laughs

All good fun:)

Grizzly
29-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Today, I gave a consultancy briefing to 6 guys from a well known industrial company.

No big deal it seems but

2 were Irish

2 were Scottish

2 were Londoners

where is this leading ???????

I am from Yorkshire, probably one of the twangyest accents around :o

We actually had a good day and some proper laughs

All good fun:)

Any on the forum?
Or don't you ask?
Grizzly:D

Quality
29-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Any on the forum?
Or don't you ask?
Grizzly:D
It was hard enough getting to the point , without asking any questions:o

monkey spanners
29-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Sloooow day on the home front( have the flu anyway) so i've been reading through chit-chat history. up th page 15. Some incredible subjects. I've now got a fairly good handle on the main characters of today, for example Grizzly, i had you pegged as the character from : It ain't half hot mum, Y'now seargent major, anyway I can add further to others profile later if requested but before i'm" moderated" off here for hijacking Jon's thread, can i just say i'm still waiting for that free beer( in good faith) from your post Jon...... mike.

I'm Monkey!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iUMWy4hqAg

I'll happily post you a beer if you want one! :D

mikeref
30-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Honestly Grizzly, yours was the first name that came to mind, could have easily been anyone..no offence intended. Installed a cake display fridge at a historic village today, Australian history doesn't go back very far compared to other countries however i did ask the restorators about displaying old refrigeration machinery, apparently there is a building with domestic and commercial on show but didn't have the time to sneak a look.. mike.

Grizzly
30-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Understood Mikeref!
No Problem!
Where in Queensland are you? Only I have family in Gympie.
Incidentally if you speak to the guys off forum as I sometimes do.
The posted Handle has very little to what they do, or indeed where they are in the food chain!
Oh! Yesterday i did a 360ml round trip to watch a Carrier based system.
Randomly ramp up on inverter chasing it's spurious Carel controller readout.
Until it tripped. As they say further investigation required!

Cheers Grizzly

cadwaladr
30-09-2010, 07:31 PM
today i replaced an engine in a thermo king ts500 refrigerated truck,started at 815 finished at 1715 ,three cups of coffee 2 biscuits,and now my back is aching!!!

djbe
01-10-2010, 11:46 PM
today i replaced an engine in a thermo king ts500 refrigerated truck,started at 815 finished at 1715 ,three cups of coffee 2 biscuits,and now my back is aching!!!

No wonder your back is aching lifting that bugger down the ladders:D:D

cadwaladr
05-10-2010, 11:01 PM
No wonder your back is aching lifting that bugger down the ladders:D:D
i took the starter ,the clutch off to make it lighter lol,no i had help from a fork lift.

Silhouette
09-10-2010, 02:19 PM
:)Been up to Leeds this morning to check over a new Morrisons I'm commissioning, all is ok! A good job really as the painters are now painting the plantroom floor with it's first of three coats of red paint

cadwaladr
20-10-2010, 09:02 AM
woke up in cyprus 30 degrees breakfast going to the beach,i am on holiday

monkey spanners
27-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Fitted a new wash pump to a milk tanks cip system, run it through a cycle to test and the hot water coil burnt out as i was watching it! Fitted new one.

Help customer fit new light fitting as the one in the tank room was broke, as i found out last saturday night when i got called out to the faulty tank wash.

Check over systems and wash out condensers.

mikeref
28-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Jon, you sure have a close relationship with the dairy industry. In this area there is some 80 odd farmers left from over 200 when i settled here many years ago, though i don't look after any to date. Some knob high up, who probably never seen a cow decided to truck in milk from 3000kms away and put our farmers out.. go figure. Anyway, yesterday drove 400kms on a round trip to fix a coldroom on a cattle station.(80,000 acres) 1/2 the distance was dirt road. Have to watch for kangaroos in the late afternoon..too fast to negotiate and too big to be up close and personal with.. mike.

john rey
28-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Can i ask a question what is the cooling capacity of evaporator type aib 06 75/85 s aa

chemi-cool
28-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Just finished a nice project this week, a -2°C freezer for flowers bulbs.
Evaporators from LU-VE and condensing units from Danfoss, electrics from my workshop.

Some pictures for you.

Jon, the next project is installing 40000L milk tank, starting November 21.
How about a working vacation? tools, food, beer and aplace to stay, on me.

r.bartlett
28-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Just finished a nice project this week, a -2°C freezer for flowers bulbs.
Evaporators from LU-VE and condensing units from Danfoss, electrics from my workshop.

Some pictures for you.

Jon, the next project is installing 40000L milk tank, starting November 21.
How about a working vacation? tools, food, beer and aplace to stay, on me.

Why the suction accumulators ?

chemi-cool
29-10-2010, 05:45 AM
To protect the compressor from liquid return.

paul_h
16-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I had a sight unseen split install. Apparently the owner and the tenant could only get this day off together and just wanted it done.

It was fun. Never been to a back to back split install before, seen heaps though. Why do I never get them? Seems like I never will.
I brought the whole kitchen sink with me just so it would go OK. Seems like I needed the laundry sink though too, which I forgot.

Needed ducting inside the room through the ceiling into the roof, tight tight bends around roof beams (ended up having to cut some) with 5/8", condensate pump and all the horrible things you need when someone has supplied their own wall split for a room that really should have a cassette, or anything except a standard wall split.

Left the phone in the ute as I was annoyed enough without dealing with time wasters. Luckily amongst all the 10 missed calls from timewasters calling for prices on more sight unseen installs or other BS over the phone, was a guy cancelling his job at 2pm. Good, because I was stuck at this job until 3pm.
So at least one good thing happened today, someone canceling, So I made it to my 4pm job on time. :)

I really hate installs because I always get horrible ones. I'd rather just fix crap. Also, having to unload my reclaimer, refrigerant bottles and test equipment all the time, just so I can fit the cabling, tubing, extra drills, saws, hoist and splits just sucks too. Especially if I have installs and service calls on the same day.

glenn1340
16-11-2010, 08:32 PM
.....sliced the top of my finger with a mini grinder. Next time I must hold the handle and not the disc when switching it on. At least I was wearing goggles so the blood didn`t spurt in my eyes.

Quality
16-11-2010, 09:03 PM
.....sliced the top of my finger with a mini grinder. Next time I must hold the handle and not the disc when switching it on. At least I was wearing goggles so the blood didn`t spurt in my eyes.

I hope you put in the detail and completed the accident book :D

mikeref
16-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Paul h, Sounds like you're doing it hard. If i were to leave my phone in the ute i'd miss that one important call from a good paying regular, however i do enjoy the times i'm out of mobile phone coverage so i can work in peace. Cold callers usually have "restricted" on phone display, these i don't answer. One split a/c comes to mind, runs 24/7 in a nursing home. Done and said all that is possible to this lost cause unit but it refuses to die. Barrel fan cloggs regularly, slime builds up behind it, drain doesn't and coils are beyond cleaning. Only the rust holds evap in place, still, management will not part with it, just keeping it on life support is so frustrating!

El Padre
19-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Spent an hour and a half trying to get a Daikin service checker operational via my new notebook ( I forgot to install the driver for the USB to serial port converter cable), I gave up and found the fault in about two minutes!!

Cheers

paul_h
20-11-2010, 07:23 AM
Paul h, Sounds like you're doing it hard. If i were to leave my phone in the ute i'd miss that one important call from a good paying regular, however i do enjoy the times i'm out of mobile phone coverage so i can work in peace. Cold callers usually have "restricted" on phone display, these i don't answer. One split a/c comes to mind, runs 24/7 in a nursing home. Done and said all that is possible to this lost cause unit but it refuses to die. Barrel fan cloggs regularly, slime builds up behind it, drain doesn't and coils are beyond cleaning. Only the rust holds evap in place, still, management will not part with it, just keeping it on life support is so frustrating!
I normally answer a few calls, but most are just time wasters (wanting cheap unsighted install quotes, or some tool not happy to wait three days for me to get there for some domestic job and want someone sooner, so I give up on them).
If they don't leave messages, their problem. Most of my regulars will leave a message anyway.
Also on the note of people not willing to leave messages, if I do answer the phone, seems everyone rings at the same time, so I'll still lose the jobs from people not willing to leave messages. EG my phone will be quiet for 20min, then in just 4 minute time frame, 3-4 people will ring, so if I was answering the phone I'd be talking to the first caller, the next 2-3 callers will be redirected to voice mail anyway.
Strange and annoying that all calls come in waves like that.
Yesterday I had another horror install, I was getting toasted in the sun and the temp was 39C. 50 missed calls! No way I can work and answer the phone at the same time.
edit:
If you are referring to cold caller having "private number" on the phone display meaning sales people, well I have too many customers who have private numbers as well, certain businesses will if they have their own phone system, and plenty of private residences do as well. I hate the sales people calling, and people who choose to have an unlisted number, but missing out on heaps of customers if you ignore all "private numbers".
I just equally divert all to voice mail whether mobile/landline or private number :)

mikeref
22-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Paul h, I think many of my callers wait till i'm on the road to call, or at the post office, bank, accountant. Anywhere inconvenient. This time of the year, and with school holidays just 10+ days away(ALREADY?), vehicle a/c's queries mount up, all last minute before holidays + once a year fired up fridges. 39c temps would have been Western Aust, still waiting for summer here in the hills, only getting 28c with ocassional storms taking out pcbs.. Mike.

monkey spanners
13-12-2010, 10:04 PM
What goes NGNGNGN NGNG NG NG NG HHMMMMMM and then silence....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXubYQY99O4

Think its best days are behind it!

mikeref
15-12-2010, 01:15 AM
That will be a good job. Will it be rebuilt or just swapped out. One place i work at takes pride in picking up "lost cause" equipment for nix then wants me to make it work like new. 17 compressors from everywhere run under borrowed time, keeps me in work...New compressor or condenser.. Fat chance, grab that one thats been out in the weather,got it from ? should be o.k. HO,HUM...

paul_h
15-12-2010, 11:11 AM
That compressor sounds stuffed.

mikeref, I always tell them no, I don't mid repairing stuff on it's last legs, but I don't fit it, too much chance they'll blame me and not pay for frequent repairs, I'm busy enough anyway.

Have to replace 2 wall split units under warranty today at two different sites.
That was fun, the old units are r22, completely different model to the r410a replacments.
So new wall plates indoors, new pipes and new cabling (one of the old ones had indoor mains, the replacement had outdoor mains. It had 3 wire interconnect, new one had 5 wires).
I brought everything I could think off, knowing my luck I expected it really, so much I hired a trailer to fit the units and extra gear, but I wish they could have told me first so I could plan my day better.
Hope they pay me for the extra time and materials for re-piping and rewiring, as the contract rates of pay only consider direct replacements, not re-piping and rewiring.

monkey spanners
15-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Mikeref, its an obselete model so i am quoting for a new copeland 7.5hp discus comp, a ZB50 scroll and a rebuilt replacement. The new comps will cope with R404A when the time comes but i suspect they will go with the cheaper for now option.
I have customers like that too! I don't mind so long as they pay for my time and understand that it might not last that long.

Paul, theres no way i'd get two splits changed in a day on the same site let alone two different ones, took me 2.5 days to swap a 5kw unit for an old 2.5kw unit the other week with a 15m pipe run :o

Jon

paul_h
16-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Paul, theres no way i'd get two splits changed in a day on the same site let alone two different ones, took me 2.5 days to swap a 5kw unit for an old 2.5kw unit the other week with a 15m pipe run :o

Jon
You're just trying to make me feel better :lol:
I was home by 3.30pm ;)
Worst installs I have are small flats or apartments, have to fit a condensate pump, drill through 2 walls at least or lift tiles and go through the ceiling etc.
I normally get them done from scratch in 6hrs by myself for these flats etc.
Doing it solo take way longer than two guys (can't push an pull a pipe from either side of a wall at the same time) so what can take 2 guys 2hrs, takes me 6hrs.
Of course all my installs are difficult ones, the retailers have installers that will do it for $500 ( whats that, about 200 pounds?) Catch is they will only do the simple back to back, ~2m pipework installs.
So they get the simple easy ones, and I get the really hard ones...

flyinkiwi
21-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Swapped glycol lines on to a new brewery fermenter - and will be back to swap it to the previous tank when the new fermenter goes back to the stainless fabricator for it's outer skin to be fitted... then back again to reconnect it...

Plus had the boys out working on automating a water defrost system.

mikeref
30-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Taking it easy doing just a few hours/day untill 2011. Landed this job at the local law enforcements social club/house/shed. Anyway, the 2 door display fridge had given out, condenser fan seized and the cabinet was full with all brands of beer and spirits now gone warm, this just won't do. Anyways, finish up the job and stroll up to the station, hand them the invoice and on walking out, took a wrong turn into the ladies locker room where they were changing shift:o, oops! sorry!.. :cool:, my mistake. Must have been the warm rum and cola.. JUST KIDDING OFFICER.:D

monkey spanners
01-01-2011, 07:01 PM
First job of the new year!

Got a call from a restaurant, thought they were calling to ask where their ice maker was that i'm waiting on parts for but it was for a chest freezer.

They had dropped a knife on the flex... but looked more like mouse damage to me which was confirmed once the cover was off as little mickey had chewed through a couple more cables in there too! The kitchen is very clean so i was surprised to see the damage but we got it fixed before the food was thawed out.

Got a bottle of wine as a thankyou and new years gift, hopefully this will set a precedent for the rest of the year :D

monkey spanners
06-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Had to change a agitator motor on a 8000L dx milk tank, the paddle is about 6ft long and screws onto the output shaft on the agitator gearbox. It stirs the milk as it is cooled and to stop the cream from seperating.

Thought it would not take long to do as usually just mole grip the paddle and shock it free then unscrew it but couldn't get it to move.
Got inside the tank and tried turning the paddle blades having jammed up the agitator with screwdrivers in the motors cooling fan, still wouldn't turn....
Back on top of the tank with mole grips on the paddle pushing against the mounting stud for the gearbox and a chain wrench round the motor and i got a few turns till the mole grips started slipping :mad:
Finally got it undone with two mole grips on the paddle and the chain wrench and some heat, I put pleanty of grease on the new one so if i have to change it again it should be a bit easier.

I think a lot of the trouble is that it is a stainless to stainless connection and it tends to lock together.

Then on the way home i bought a trailer for my truck.

charlie patt
06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
do you much with muller bmt mk?

frank
06-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Got to change the LP switch on a Daikin 3 pipe outdoor unit (K Series) today.

As the original one didn't have a schraeder depressor, which meant having to recover and then re-charge, I decided to disconnect the static gauge line and put the new one on there.

Saved about 3 hours :D

monkey spanners
06-01-2011, 11:07 PM
do you much with muller bmt mk?

I try to avoid them, parts are difficult to get as is technical information.
I only look after two tanks for customers who have fallen out with the main agent....

Frank, i love it when these short cuts spring to mind before work is started, instead of in the van on the way home after :D

paul_h
07-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Frank, i love it when these short cuts spring to mind before work is started, instead of in the van on the way home after :D
Ain't the the truth. Too often good ideas come too late.

Today I got chased and stung by wasps living under the tiles on a roof while repairing an evap cooler. They didn't like me up there walking on their tiles.

lawrence1
07-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Got called to a friends ducted ac system,,,one room zone was not operating,,,,,crawled through 35c ceiling climbed over the offending zone motor only to find a 2 metre snake wrapped around the cable which was pulled out of the connector.Took a moment to check my underwear,came out of ceiling,,,,got mapp gas torch and returned,,,,,fired it up and joe blake got the message and quickly moved away,,,reconnect the cable and got out of there in 2 seconds.

paul_h
07-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Nice one.
I think the UK stories are always lacking in fauna like snakes, spiders, lizards etc.

When an inverter or circuit board shorts out here, it's nearly always either our crappy power supply causing surges, or a skink lizard fried itself.
When a wall split indoor unit dies for no reason, it's nearly always our crappy power supply causing brownouts or surges, or a mouse thats got in and chewed stuff up and p1ssed on everything.

edit:
So with no problems caused by fauna, crappy power supply or bad installers, there would be not much work in domestic a/c repair at all

stufus
07-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Got called to a friends ducted ac system,,,one room zone was not operating,,,,,crawled through 35c ceiling climbed over the offending zone motor only to find a 2 metre snake wrapped around the cable which was pulled out of the connector.Took a moment to check my underwear,came out of ceiling,,,,got mapp gas torch and returned,,,,,fired it up and joe blake got the message and quickly moved away,,,reconnect the cable and got out of there in 2 seconds.

Fairplay ,I know for a fact i'd have got the apprentice not a mapp torch,;)

charlie patt
07-01-2011, 10:04 PM
funny that ms same down here today i fitted a bottle cooler fan and of course cleaned a condensor on a horrible polar cooler dove to exeter and fitted a new comp on a gah on a sprinter of then to street and sorted out a porka coldroom with a frozen coil then two car acs on the way home and tomoz swimming pool heatpumps i had better get the speedos out

AlatoStonbots
08-01-2011, 03:45 AM
Hey,Great post i found it very interesting and at the same time very informative i will definitely bookmark this site for future reference...

Goober
12-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Day before yesterday had to fly to Sydney (just for the night mind you) on two hours notice to assess a Super Yachts cool/freezer room issues and be ready to carry out repairs when it docks in Auckland next week. Had brekky the next day in the crew galley. The boat has crew of sixteen, swear to god 13 of them were young fine lookin females. Mmmmm...which one's going to get the attention when they arrive.....

lawrence1
12-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Goober,,,,you lucky b*stard

FreezerGeezer
12-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Seconded! :p

paul_h
12-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Ha ha yeah, lucky sob.

I played human CPR valve.
I repair a bunch of custom made (by who!) freezers for bagged ice you see and shops and delis.
The ones I look after of course don't like it when you first turn them on, normally trip out on HP or overload. So if one is ever defrosted or delivered warm and empty on a hot day like 37C ambient today, I've got to shut the suction valve to just a crack to limit the suction pressure unit the cabinet cools down a bit.

lawrence1
12-01-2011, 12:20 PM
paul h,
I am surprised they have hp controls.Usually a capiliary and stat is it.

paul_h
12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
The fan motors on these things fail fairly regularly. A HP control saves them a compressor.

alan 07
19-01-2011, 08:37 PM
working in local zoo got Fujitsu inverters in animal enclosures stripped down and cleaned indoor in boa constricters room. Keeper stood behind me with a broom to keep the snakes back set a new world record for complete strip down and rebuild.:rolleyes: When i was finishing snakes were getting fed up i turned around and my apprentice had legged it:eek:

glenn1340
19-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Removed a 7.5kw fan motor from an Ingersoll Rand compressor with my son (he`s great fun to work with by the way). We had to erect a gantry as the motor was four foot up and three feet inside the cabinet on a bracket. What a sodding job, half the cabinet in bits. Why don`t the design engineers make stuff so it can actually be worked on. Back tomorrow to fit the new bearings and do it all again in reverse. Aaaaaargh!!

charlie patt
19-01-2011, 09:52 PM
alan have you found your apprentice yet. makes my day sound boreing

Brian_UK
19-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Was walking around with some penguins yesterday, when fixing their food freezer, which was kinda cool.

Today was on an IPAF mobile boom and scissor lift training course.

Finally proved to myself that I don't do heights; stopped the mobile boom halfway through and just took the scissor lift.

The idea of being 65 - 70 feet up in the air whilst driving backwards does not hit the feel good button for me.

monkey spanners
19-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Was walking around with some penguins yesterday, when fixing their food freezer, which was kinda cool.

Today was on an IPAF mobile boom and scissor lift training course.

Finally proved to myself that I don't do heights; stopped the mobile boom halfway through and just took the scissor lift.

The idea of being 65 - 70 feet up in the air whilst driving backwards does not hit the feel good button for me.

I think the only reason i passed my magic carpet test was because the instructor was too busy chatting to the other trainees and didn't see me crash it into the fence :confused:

lawrence1
20-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Alan07,
I hope you pay your apprentice 'Danger money'

lawrence1
20-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Weather is warming up now to 30c+ so heaps of ac calls...retired Dutchman calls,,,and asks for help to get ac to work,,,,feel sorry for him and go straight there,,,another Gecko suicided on the pc board,,,19 year old Panasonic is condemed to scrap.
Love those Geckos.He was shocked to only get 19 years out of his ac.are dutch like that?

mad fridgie
20-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Weather is warming up now to 30c+ so heaps of ac calls...retired Dutchman calls,,,and asks for help to get ac to work,,,,feel sorry for him and go straight there,,,another Gecko suicided on the pc board,,,19 year old Panasonic is condemed to scrap.
Love those Geckos.He was shocked to only get 19 years out of his ac.are dutch like that?
The Dutch are renound for it, in NZ

binti
20-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Today i worked on the biggest bucket of bolts to date.
A set of 8 Matsu air cooled chillers located on the roof of one of Sydney's tallest buildings. (views of the harbor and out to the heads, Magnificent)
These matsu chillers are only 2.5 years old and out of the 8 only 2 are running :rolleyes:
Problems are many. leaking evaps, leaking conensers, incorrectly piped condensers and faulty compressors (some locked up some burnt out)
We where asked to make recommendations to solve the issues. needless to say we recommended to replace to chillers.

Replace an 800kw chiller plant that is 2.5years old........and they agreed.:eek:. Like i said biggest bucket of bolts i have ever worked on.

New Power pax chiller are going in...:p

lawrence1
21-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Gutted out 3 coldrooms that were flooded last week in Brisbane ,,,everything to be replaced,,,the smell was something i will remember for a long time.This whole shopping centre i was at today was under 3 metres of water and it's so depressing to see first hand the damage.

monkey spanners
21-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Called back to a site to change a rusted through suction valve on a 4hp prestcold recip on one system and replace a faulty L'unite TAG4561Z on the other one.

Apart from my rcd plug on the extension lead having died everything went ok, which made a nice change from the usual 'get to site, look at system, remmeber thingy i was supposed to get from stores last night....' :o

I've had lots of compressors fail lately, more than usual, just wonder if any of you guys are seeing an increase in failures too?

Quality
21-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Called back to a site to change a rusted through suction valve on a 4hp prestcold recip on one system and replace a faulty L'unite TAG4561Z on the other one.

Apart from my rcd plug on the extension lead having died everything went ok, which made a nice change from the usual 'get to site, look at system, remmeber thingy i was supposed to get from stores last night....' :o

I've had lots of compressors fail lately, more than usual, just wonder if any of you guys are seeing an increase in failures too?

Funny you should say that about compressors I have replaced 3 already this year.
All heat pump stuff (ground source)

monkey spanners
21-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Funny you should say that about compressors I have replaced 3 already this year.
All heat pump stuff (ground source)

And long may it continue so long as they are out of warranty :D

Brian_UK
11-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Had a day of failed condensate pumps today.

Went to a site on Monday which had a sump pump with a sticky float switch so a kind of hot motor too. Adjusted the float stops and left it all working.
Guess what, it stopped again today. Looking at the float switch I noticed that the spindle wasn't quite vertical. The micro-switch which is operated by the float switch is fixed to a small piece of sheet plastic which simply slots into a gap in the pump base. Age is allowing it to sag and jam on the float spindle. New pump to fit on Monday; heh-ho.

The other one was an AC unit not working, got to site, flashing light but no action. Could see that the signal wire was passed through the high level switch of the pump so went to the pump to check it.
First time that I've found hot water in an AC condensate pump tray.

Motor was not quite melting but, geeez, it was cooking the water well. Had a spare pump for that one so did a swap and left one happy customer.

In between these two of us were servicing some boilers in a sports centre. One boiler room knocked us back when we walked in, too damned hot and the air thick with carbon monoxide.

Checking around we found the air intake grille to the fanned flue was smashed and assorted rubbish laying in the ductwork. A closer look at the boiler flues explained why the bad air. One had a plastic Coke bottle in it while the worst one actually had a well cooked football sitting on top of the flue outlet.

The fun we have. :)

monkey spanners
11-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Those boilers sound dangerous Brian!!!

Spent the day installing stuff on a council site, which translates to having a meeting with the surveyor, the electrician, the manager, and no actual work, which would be good if it wasn't on a fixed price :rolleyes:

Brian_UK
11-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Can't even afford to walk off for a coffee can you? :D

paul_h
17-02-2011, 04:23 AM
*ring ring*
Blah blah blah
Me: "how old is the a/c?"
Them: "3-4 years"
Me: "well it's under warranty, call a service agent" - This happened 4 times in a single hour yesterday

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah
Me: I can be there next week
Them: Can't come today?

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah
Me: I can be there TOMORROW
:(

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah
Me: I'll book you in for x day first thing/mid morning/noon/early afternoon/between 1-3 etc etc
Them: What exact time?

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah
Me: I'll book you in for x day first thing/mid morning/noon/early afternoon/between 1-3 etc etc

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah

*ring ring*
Blah blah blah
Them: I made a booking a few days ago, and you're coming tomorrow, can I change the time?
Me: Well no, as everyone else is booked in and expects me at an exact time. :confused:

Where's the smilie for gunshot to the head?

edit: Besidesg etting SOME work done, I have these phone calls 30x a day each

mikeref
17-02-2011, 05:52 AM
LOL, Don't ya just luv it! At least the phone works. Had a/c job for you today but customer didn't want to fly you over from West Australia PERTH? An old split had kept the compressor running o/night when office staff turned it off, block of ice and noisy fan when turned on today. Barrel fan bushes shot ages ago, been running on luck for years and now compressor relay fused. Wrote it off but have to make it work untill its replaced...Good on ya...

chemi-cool
17-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Saved a Williams blast chiller today, all electronic boards burned out, cost of new ones is the same as a small car so had to replace it with a Dixell XB570, cute controller, striped all the wires and rewired to the new controller.

As I was about to finish and start the first cycle, a blast of hot steam covers me and the blast chiller.
Apparently, just behind me was a big steam cooker and every time they opened the door, the cloud of hot steam covered all the area. Realized thats was the reason for the burned electronics, didn't leave any warranty for the new controller until they solve the steam problem.

I was amazed by the amount of wires Williams use on such a simple machine, no wonder why they charge so much to replace parts, well.... I wasn't cheap either;)

CHIEF DELPAC
18-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Chemi Its good to hear that your not a cheap date. C.D.

glenn1340
18-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I had the same problem last year, customer reported a burning smell from his blast chiller. I switched it on and smoke and small flames issued from behind the panel. New touch panel and board were over £700. Like you I fitted the Dixcell XB750 (mustn`t get mixed up with the CB750, first of the Japanese superbikes, lots more fun though). It took a while to wade theough the manual with all those options. Works like a dream now.

chemi-cool
18-02-2011, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=glenn1340;223145] New touch panel and board were over £700. QUOTE]

They asked for..................£ 3400!!!!!
I took only £1000.

MikeHolm
22-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Went on the roof at -10 to see why the solar system wasn't working. Squirrels ate through the wires. Fixed it up and went to picked up a York 4 ton HP. Gonna turn it from a "monobloc" to a split system, everything else but the evap and fan goes inside. fun, fun, fun.

mad fridgie
22-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Rolled about the workshop, ducked and dived falling parts, but I am lucky, my thoughts to the families who lost loved ones.

mikeref
22-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Tragic event today in New Zealand!! I was travelling to my next job when i heard that Christchurch had suffered another earthquake. The radio was full on with real time interviews. Arrived onsite and the TV coverage was dramatic to say the least. In Queensland, we've been blown away and drowned but as Mad says, our thoughts go to the families who have lost loved ones..... Mike.

Tesla
22-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Even as a kid in NZ we practiced ducking under the desk for "the earthquake drill". But I look at my astro calendar and it is forecaste for the earth quake with a supermoon this month but watch out for next month as there is an extreme supermoon! there was a supermoon last september too. I would be edging my bets on gold (solid stuff) for the next two months as these extreme weather and quake conditions are common with the moon. In history when we have extreme weather/quake conditions men get a little agitated and conflict occurs. But the news still shocks me (even watery eyes) and my heart and thoughts go out to those who have lost today. My family lives in Wellington where we always/often talk about the big one to come.
Peace to all.

CHAMBERD
22-02-2011, 12:18 PM
my thoughts and prayers go out to those that have lost lives and / or family. sad news indeed.

paul_h
25-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Apparently I evicted tenants.

Anyone else done that?
I think from memory I've done it a few times before. Tenants moving out because the a/c has been broken for 10 days or so.

I do a lot of work for real estate agents or private landlords, only happened 6 times out of ~1500 jobs, most tenants have waited 2 weeks or more and not moved out.
Waiting for the daikin PCB I ordered on the 18th in this case.

Warranty customers and tenants are the most demanding customers...
Usual huge amount of phone calls for me, went ballistic between 9-10am, started ramping up again at 4.45 (big rush again usually between 5-6pm), but I had enough and turned my phone off at 5pm. I normally get phone calls from 7.30am to 7.30pm, but the hot weather, hot forecast for the next week (35-38C) just made today crazy. Trying to remove all advertising I may have out there.
Bad day.

frank
25-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Spent the last 3 days in the office doing drawings for the new contract.....

Rather be out there getting down and dirty...

monkey spanners
25-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Re wired a milk tank control box that had caught fire, with flames and everything! Tested the wash system after and found dump valve leaking, replaced. Trip to gloucester RPW to get new motor, you'd think in this day and age they'd have a coffee machine :p
Called in at another customer who had called saying their acid/alkali knob was broken and had ordered a replacement, found it had fallen off as the switch had rusted through! so needs new switch....

Drove about like a tw@t as everyone seems to have been anoying me today :eek::o

Andy AC
25-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Spent a lot of time clearing slime & unblocking drains on counter fridges. Found the chef and asked which one had the water leaking, he said all of them - eeeww:eek: I'm glad I've got a gallo gun.

Brian_UK
25-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Sadly today went to the funeral of a work mate who succumbed to the Big C last year.

He was a lovely man who will be missed but I was heartened by the fact that even some of the wholesalers that he used to frequent also came to pay their respects. Now that's a man who made happy contacts.

We will remember his happy times and move forward.

mikeref
25-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Well.. what a crazy day Friday was. Local pub had 3 coldrooms go down, and all were run by one compressor. These are kitchen room(food), keg room(storage) and front bar under counter 4 door. Who decided to run this combination?:rolleyes: !! All pipework disappears through the floor and snakes it's way under the building with a grapevine of obselete copper pipework..Great. One 3/8 liquid line split into 3 times 3/8 lines to feed the evaps and the nightmare continued on :confused:.A pretty, young U.K. girl was the bar attendant who had to step over me while i was working on the under counter chiller. Sort of... took my time... on that part of the job:o:D.. Mike.

mikeref
26-02-2011, 12:11 AM
P.M sent. Sorry to hear of the loss of fellow Mechanic/engineer, Brian.

Brian_UK
26-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Mike, no apologies required but thanks all the same.

I look on the bright side, he is out of pain, and he is remembered as a great guy.

I was thinking back to a recent boiler service that I did which was a right pain. Reading the previous log book entries was one of his which read, bearing in mind that he had been there previously ( annual service only ), - "Deep cleaned this **** boiler, got suckered into this once again. I'm standing back next time."

I love a sense of humour.

paul_h
28-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Crazy day, about 100+ phone calls, of them about 60 I couldn't answer, of those 24 voice messages (even though my message left when not answering says booked out for 3 weeks to discourage people leaving messages. Before I did that it was 100% of people leaving messages and took an hour on the phone to hear them all, so I'd rather not so many messages).
Damn busiest time on the phone ever, what the hell? Lost about 2 hours dealing with phone calls.
Going back to Feb 2008, I think I had 5 jobs for the month back then! But it's ridiculous now, I just want to look after my regulars and the contracts I have, but flooded by everyone.
Looked at expanding, but I'd need commercial premises to do that, and it's AU 30-50K a year to lease a terrible unit in a commercial estate near me, let alone employee costs. I don't make that much profit as it is, could maybe with extra help/employee, bu impossible to get that kind on money upfront. So I'd rather not get the extra phone calls/customers at this stage as I can't deal with it alone (and I HATE phones really).

frank
28-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Spent a couple of hours helping our friends sort out the carnage after this

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/frankyboy_01/Police%20Camera%20Action/DSCN1009-1.jpg

Hit me side on as I was negotiating a right hand turn into a side road

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/frankyboy_01/Police%20Camera%20Action/DSCN1015.jpg

And to top it all, I've got to produce my documents within 7 days ......or else.:rolleyes:

monkey spanners
28-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Ouch Frank! New van time!

I hope no one was injured.

A friend of mine, now retired, was a life long lorry driver and has a dislike of the boys in blue. One of his favourite tales is of the time he was driving a lowloader with a dozer on the back, police car tried to squeeze through but caught on the blade and opened the whole side of the car up like a tin of sardines! No injuries. He had all the over width plates etc on so the couldn't touch him for it.

I had a busy day too Paul, i had two phone calls :D

mikeref
28-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeh Frank, its the initial shock of having this happen, then the greater shock of how long vehicle will be out of service:eek:. I couldn't have this happen so i have 2 vehicles, my old (1995) ute and the current one. Strange thing is, when i'm in the (owes me nothing) ute, all road users avoid me but my current 3 yr old acts as a magnet for anything and everything... Paul h,... you have to look at it this way, either, you are excellent at your job and word has spread, or no-one else could be bothered doing your line of work, and.. word has spread. Find one or two others that can help you out. I've met trade assistants that can pull their weight, so to speak... Mike.

lawrence1
01-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Frank,
So are they gonna book you for that?
Lawrie

r.bartlett
01-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Yeh Frank, its the initial shock of having this happen, then the greater shock of how long vehicle will be out of service:eek:. I couldn't have this happen so i have 2 vehicles, my old (1995) ute and the current one. Strange thing is, when i'm in the (owes me nothing) ute, all road users avoid me but my current 3 yr old acts as a magnet for anything and everything... Paul h,... you have to look at it this way, either, you are excellent at your job and word has spread, or no-one else could be bothered doing your line of work, and.. word has spread. Find one or two others that can help you out. I've met trade assistants that can pull their weight, so to speak... Mike.

Or he's cheap....

frank
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Frank,
So are they gonna book you for that?
Lawrie
No, I'm not at fault, but if I don't provide my doc's to the Plod Station, I could be done for not complying with the 'Producer' (for our friends across the pond - a document issued by the police)

I was told yesterday by my Insurance company that I may have to foot the repair costs myself (or on my insurance and lose the No Claims) as the Police are apparently blameless in cases like this if they are on a response to a 999 call!! Go figure that one out???

r.bartlett
02-03-2011, 10:44 AM
No, I'm not at fault, but if I don't provide my doc's to the Plod Station, I could be done for not complying with the 'Producer' (for our friends across the pond - a document issued by the police)

I was told yesterday by my Insurance company that I may have to foot the repair costs myself (or on my insurance and lose the No Claims) as the Police are apparently blameless in cases like this if they are on a response to a 999 call!! Go figure that one out???

Frank

Ask your insurer to investigate CCTV as we had a similar case whereby one of our vans got T boned coming off a roundabout.. Didn't help us as there wasn't any but our insurers said they would investigate CCTV to look for evidence against the other driver..We ended up 'knock for knock' :-(

paul_h
02-03-2011, 01:27 PM
You have to look at it this way, either, you are excellent at your job and word has spread, or no-one else could be bothered doing your line of work, and.. word has spread.

Or he's cheap....

All three probably, but thats not why so many randoms calling me. That's probably because I put a basic web page up (very basic), and tried to get it prominent.

Am I cheap, maybe, probably not though, charge just enough for some people to complain about the price. Was au$60 call out, and $80 per/hr, both plus 10% GST tax. So first hour $154 inc tax. Minimum $88 for call out and 15min labour, most jobs are only 1/2 hr though so $110 because I'm bloddy quick and know what I'm doing most of the time (swampies - evap coolers, and daikins do slow me though)
Raised prices for new customers to $70 call out and $100/hr + tax. Is that cheap for the UK? au$1 is 60p isn't it?
Old prices are kept for the old, big regular customers for now though (price change was 01/02/2011)

I'm also the main service agent of two brands of a/c and fridge in perth as well. Gets me some work when it's not a heatwave, ie spring and autumn.

No one else bothering to do the work I do, yes very likely, that's why I have a lot of regular customers.
Many a/c companies just quote to replace if a unit breaks down, while I fix it. It's a bit of a balance though to know when it should be replaced I'm getting better at that. But a lot out there with diagnose your compressor stuffed and you're better of replacing it, when it's just the capacitor. Or quote to replace your ducted system if the controller is stuffed (while I can get it going with a new controller like I posted in another thread).

Again though, my pricing and repair ability has got nothing to do with this huge influx of phone calls, hundreds of randoms ringing around as there is a lot of work here for people that repair domestic or small commercial a/c, most people in my line of work don't have much advertising (mainly installers or commercial/industrial companies do all the advertising).

W.Miller
03-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Today i fitted a 10kw fan on a beer fridge for £60. Only my second solo job and didn't know what to charge. Felt guilty as I felt as though i was over charging.But it's all part of business I guess.

monkey spanners
03-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Today i fitted a 10kw fan on a beer fridge for £60. Only my second solo job and didn't know what to charge. Felt guilty as I felt as though i was over charging.But it's all part of business I guess.

Seems about right depending on how far you had to travel and how long it took to fit, don't forget all the crimps and terminal blocks etc you may have used and any cleaner used for the fan blade and even any disposeable glove you may have worn if it was a dirty unit. These things all add up very quickly and if you don't allow for them in your pricing it comes our of your pocket... (i'm assuming you meant 10watt and not 10Kw)

If you are just starting out, best have a sit down and work out a pricing structure, and review it often to see how profitable your company is, and tweak it as needs be.

W.Miller
03-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Seems about right depending on how far you had to travel and how long it took to fit, don't forget all the crimps and terminal blocks etc you may have used and any cleaner used for the fan blade and even any disposeable glove you may have worn if it was a dirty unit. These things all add up very quickly and if you don't allow for them in your pricing it comes our of your pocket... (i'm assuming you meant 10watt and not 10Kw)

If you are just starting out, best have a sit down and work out a pricing structure, and review it often to see how profitable your company is, and tweak it as needs be.

Sorry I meant 10w. I think the pricing bit is the hardest part. It's some thing that isnt taught by employers. I like the way you look at it though, in regards to rubber gloves, fuel, usage of tools etc. You've given me some things to think about there.

charlie patt
10-03-2011, 10:12 PM
whats up with it the wiring can be a little unsettleing at timesif not use to them

nike123
11-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I was on graveyard fixing water leaks :D:D :

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6469&d=1299847352
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6470&d=1299847355
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6471&d=1299847357
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6472&d=1299847359

cesarnino
16-03-2011, 03:17 PM
together with my boss troubleshoot a japanese Blast Freezer..... even though we cant read japanese heheehh... but stil able to solve it.

monkey spanners
16-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Been back out to a customer against my better judgement as it took them over a year to pay last time....

And just to prove that the gods were smiling on me today when i was there i fell over in the cow yard. Not your normal falling over mind but the sort where you go horizontal while airbourn and then hit the ground like a sack of sh!t, which as it happens is exactly what i ended up looking like :o

eggs
16-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Quoted a job on the spot £two bags of sand + the Vodka...............only to be told I had got the gig and the next nearest price was £4200 + Vat...........WTF have I missed???

Eggs

glenn1340
16-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Quoted a job on the spot £two bags of sand + the Vodka...............only to be told I had got the gig and the next nearest price was £4200 + Vat...........WTF have I missed???

Eggs

I know the feeling. I quoted a used dessicant air dryer for £600 including installation. The customer nearly bit my arm off to get it. I later learned he was offered one for £1800 PLUS the installation. Duuuuuuuuuuuh

Brian_UK
16-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Helped some of the other guys dismantle and remove a solar water pre-heating system that has only been installed for about two years. Mind you the install was crap and the gas fired heaters did most of the work anyway.

Tomorrow I'm meeting with the clients Carbon Reduction person about reducing their footprint with the AC on another site. Go figure. :D

monkey spanners
16-03-2011, 11:51 PM
I recently installed a bmt and cond unit a customer had bought, took about a week, for 2.1k, while doing this found out previous company last year charged 3.8k to change a 3hp scroll, badly...

Then on the other hand one of my competitors recently quote £350 fitted for a water pump when the genuine part cost me £440 from the uk agent????

Gets you so you don't know which way to turn :o

eggs
17-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Eggs is thinking???.....???.......???.."If anyone would like to set up a cartel to narrow the gap between our small company prices and them of the big boys.......mail me on my yet to be disclosed super secret e-mail address.

The job I mentioned earlier was essentially a back to back Tosh DI WM, 6.8kw. Straight swap out.

It reminded me of a job I did as a labour only subbie a few years ago. Two 10k wall mounts and two 10 kw ducted units, all Daikin.

NHS paid £27k.

If I had done the job direct I would have charged about £14-15K.........Where TF did the other £13k go? The salesman's M3, the director's Portuguese villa ????

Jeeeeeez, one day I will learn the art.

**Edit**

Come to think of it the NHS must have paid more. I probably got about £2k labour only, the a/c contractor charged the M&E contractor £27k then they will have put their mark-up on.

The mind boggles??
Eggs

mikeref
17-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Yeh Eggs... have to be careful as what goes around comes around. Done myself out by not including parts or charging all the hours in the invoice supplied to customer. Charge too much and someone, sooner or later will find out and spread the word. (Psssst, don't get Eggs, he's too expensive!). So what did you miss on the "vodka" job?:eek:

paul_h
17-03-2011, 09:32 AM
It's hit and miss for me, so I would subscribe to you super secret email newsletter.
Sometimes too cheap. Sometimes I quote a job based on the same rates and told too expensive.
Doesn't really matter to me, quote what's fair to yourself, if you are cheap compared to the competition it doesn't matter, you are not being ripped off.
If told you ask too much, too bad, you're not willing to work for less good luck to others that are.

Also best to find regular customers that trust you and just ask for stuff to be done (quote up front though as usual and just say yes or no), rather than run around to the whim of blow in random people shopping around for 10+ quotes.
Of course the regulars will look elsewhere if they hear that they've been charged too much by you, but if your prices are fair that won't happen.
So just look after yourself, try to avoid getting up there in the rip off big leagues, or down there with the cheap split bashers that spend all their time 'winning' jobs by the random one off customers shopping around for rock bottom prices.

MikeHolm
18-03-2011, 02:50 AM
Helped some of the other guys dismantle and remove a solar water pre-heating system that has only been installed for about two years. Mind you the install was crap and the gas fired heaters did most of the work anyway.

Tomorrow I'm meeting with the clients Carbon Reduction person about reducing their footprint with the AC on another site. Go figure. :D

Brian, what kind of solar system was it and what was wrong. I put in 3 in the last two weeks so i'm quite interested.

Brian_UK
18-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Mike, the system was a Veisman 200 (?) 4 x Vitasol 200 tube panels plus tank, pumpset and controller.

Nothing too much wrong with the system apart from a poor design of the overall hot water service system.

System layout was CWS into Solar tank and then on to two gas fired hot water generators. Problems started from day one in that it was never commissioned properly, manufacturers didn't even have any records of the install site!

There wasn't any interconnection between the solar tank, the HWS secondary return or of the controls, either the gas side or solar. It was not possible to perform pasteurise the solar tank as it stood.

The solar panel temperature sensor was in the wrong place and wouldn't detect any solar gain until the tubes started boiling, slight exaggeration, yes I found the cycle pump command when we took over serving etc.

Eventually the client (Council) was too embarrassed to have the system non-functioning without spending more money so decided to remove it and any evidence of it's existence.

If you want a second hand system, Devon UK, give me a PM.

eggs
18-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Mike, the system was a Veisman 200 (?) 4 x Vitasol 200 tube panels plus tank, pumpset and controller.

Nothing too much wrong with the system apart from a poor design of the overall hot water service system.

System layout was CWS into Solar tank and then on to two gas fired hot water generators. Problems started from day one in that it was never commissioned properly, manufacturers didn't even have any records of the install site!

There wasn't any interconnection between the solar tank, the HWS secondary return or of the controls, either the gas side or solar. It was not possible to perform pasteurise the solar tank as it stood.

The solar panel temperature sensor was in the wrong place and wouldn't detect any solar gain until the tubes started boiling, slight exaggeration, yes I found the cycle pump command when we took over serving etc.

Eventually the client (Council) was too embarrassed to have the system non-functioning without spending more money so decided to remove it and any evidence of it's existence.

If you want a second hand system, Devon UK, give me a PM.

Was the original system installed by ROK by any chance?

MikeHolm
19-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Brian, I certainly would but its a bit far to Toronto for shipping. I am sure some enterprising dude over there could use it. I've put in lots of Viessmann stuff, all good in my opinion so it is a shame to see a c**p install like that. All the guts were there so it probably wouldn't have taken too much to get it going. 4-20 tube panels is good for around 8 people and you would need a 500L tank or 2 panels and a 300L tank for two smaller systems.

Cheers

r.bartlett
19-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I'll have them if not wanted :-)

Brian_UK
20-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Spot on Eggs, one virtual doughnut on the way. :D

monkey spanners
20-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Picked up new (to me) van, zoom zoom :D

Just got to swap all my stuff into it now :confused:

MikeHolm
20-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Spot on Eggs, one virtual doughnut on the way. :D

Ok, who is ROK?

mikeref
20-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Picked up new (to me) van, zoom zoom :D

Just got to swap all my stuff into it now :confused:
Might be fast now but see what it's like when tools and gear are loaded in.:p. Also, now you will find all thoes lost items hidden in the corners.

monkey spanners
20-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Might be fast now but see what it's like when tools and gear are loaded in.:p. Also, now you will find all thoes lost items hidden in the corners.

I had to tidy out my garage to make room for swaping stuff over etc and found about £300 worth of compressor oil :confused: about £200 worth of milk tank spares and 130kg of scrap copper at £4 a kilo! Haven't even started on the van yet but have filled a 10yrd skip so far :eek:

Brian_UK
20-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Ok, who is ROK?
ROK was, they collapsed least year, a national building chain who worked on local authority construction.

I think they had the ability to fit something without ever reading the instructions, I am willing to be corrected. ;)

mikeref
21-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Yep, the nice and nasties of vehicle or garage clean-out. Every year, at the end of june,(being the end of financial year here in Aus), the ute gets stripped out...tools/parts/rubbish. All out, then back of ute scrub and hose out. Good part is finding missing supplies, bad side is finding 10 of them that have to be accounted for to do annual stocktake. As june is Winter here, not much work on so i take two days + carton of beer to complete, and in two weeks, it's back to an organised mess again.:o. Had to strip everything out some months ago as a large tree frog died in there:o, nasty smell as it baked in the summer heat..Mike.

MikeHolm
21-03-2011, 03:29 AM
ROK was, they collapsed least year, a national building chain who worked on local authority construction.

I think they had the ability to fit something without ever reading the instructions, I am willing to be corrected. ;)

Karma strikes again

MikeHolm
21-03-2011, 03:32 AM
I had to tidy out my garage to make room for swaping stuff over etc and found about £300 worth of compressor oil :confused: about £200 worth of milk tank spares and 130kg of scrap copper at £4 a kilo! Haven't even started on the van yet but have filled a 10yrd skip so far :eek:

My mate just took $1000 of aluminum in one day to the scrap yard. Hasn't touched his copper yet, estimates it at about $7-8000. Bit of a horder.

cadwaladr
22-03-2011, 10:10 PM
changed the cyl heads on a grasso rc3111,changed the oil ,filters ,washed out the crankcase cleaned out the expansion valve in line filters on the evaps ,then topped up the gas in a trailer unit,went to another customer checked a gah unit for refrigerant leak

mikeref
23-03-2011, 12:16 AM
How about this, a planned shutdown of kitchen coldroom for evaporator replacement. Required Plumbers to lift roof over coldroom as this >< much space available to place timber and hanger bolts. When evap in place, roofing sheets to be refitted and plumbers move on, well, started out a fine sunny day that quickly turned sour. At the worst possible time, out of no-where comes this downpour, 3" or 75mm, and try as they did to tarp the roofless kitchen, their attempts failed. Ever tried to pipe up evaporator when water is streaming into the room:rolleyes:. Open junction boxes on roof of coldroom made it easy for rain to wet all electrics. Tools and materials were spread out and unfortunately soaked. Some days it makes you want to pack up and go home!!

MikeHolm
23-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Started to set up to bring tools to the roof today when my helper fell off the ladder and got a pelvic fracture. Our first accident in 25 years. It was his own fault but man I wish I could have prevented it. Feel like s**t.

Brian_UK
23-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Gee, that's a tough one, hope he heals quickly.

r.bartlett
23-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Swapped out a small condensing unit for a freezer with one of my engineers. We got it all charged up and running nicely only to find I'd put the LH/HP connecting lines on the wrong way round.Start again
Swapped both over and restarted then when going to take off the gauges we found out I'd put them onto the wrong port on the service valves..Start again (again)

Doesn't look like I am going to be "engineer of the week" this week:confused:

Brian_UK
23-03-2011, 11:47 PM
And your staff member was too polite to mention it I suppose. :D

MikeHolm
24-03-2011, 12:29 AM
Gee, that's a tough one, hope he heals quickly.

thanks dude

r.bartlett
24-03-2011, 07:15 AM
And your staff member was too polite to mention it I suppose. :D

He was fairly cool about it and I did get an ice flaker working which he was having trouble with (not that I did much...)

I guess I am just getting a bit ring rusty these days..

monkey spanners
24-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Started to set up to bring tools to the roof today when my helper fell off the ladder and got a pelvic fracture. Our first accident in 25 years. It was his own fault but man I wish I could have prevented it. Feel like s**t.

I hope your helper makes a speedy recovery :eek:

I've been lucky enough not to break any bones so far but have fallen off a ladder when the fork lift driver parked with the forks up in the air, me in my usual rush ran up the ladder, DING!!! woke up some time later on the ground, no sense, no feeling as they say :)

Jon

paul_h
24-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Now I'm semi retired for the year. Still got work from last month to do, and get about 4 jobs per day. But it's nice now and I can relax a bit.
Still waiting for the bloody daikin parts from 18/2/2011 http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?27249-What-did-we-do-today&p=223874#post223874.
Still waiting on other parts from others earlier in this month too.
But now I can just cruise along, not get so many calls and finish up old jobs and get paid rather than spend all day on the phone.
autumn retirement is nice ;)
Things to do:
Make sure there's no advertising next summer at all, even if I have to remove my webpage.
Find a small self employed specialist installer who does good work and give them most of the installs.
Avoid chinese brand units. Some miracles were performed recently, but not enough, need some blueway wall split parts now or it's a difficult 2nd storey roof replacement. Again p1ssed of tenants who have stopped paying rent and going to move out because the a/c doesn't work. Least the r/e agents always willing to go pana or mits when I install to avoid these crappy chinese brands, but I'm stuck with a lot of existing ones. Going to try a fan motor from a omni, maybe it fits the blueway.

edit: also nearly every job is an a/c leaking water recently!?
When I bought a wet an dry vac I thought it would be useful to unblock drains by sucking the dirt through.
Never got a chance to use it.
every ducted has the emergency drain pan plumbed into the one drain line, so can't suck out the evap drain. Nearly all ducted units are like this here, stupid installers making the drain pan pointless.
every split has had the drain outlet inaccessible, or has leaked water due to cracks in the chassis, the maunfacturer foam insulation not taped up so pipes sweating, or slightly short of refrigerant, or drain goes uphill. Any number of things basically, none of which I can use my vacuum to do the job in 5min...

Speaking of drains, this summer I've seen a ducted unit that has no p trap and it runs to the gutter. There's no hole in the gutter, it just butts up hard against it to terminate it.
Seen ducted units with no drain fitted to the coil, it just dribbles in the drain pan below...
Saw a wall split on an internal wall today, couldn't find the pump or drain. Pulled the unit half off the wall, found a loose floppy drain hose, it just drained into the wall cavity!
Not to mention all the wall splits on exterior walls that the installer just left the units drain hose hanging outside and dripping down the wall from up high, ie not bothering to fit any length ofof drain pipe or conduit.
Also couse all the loosely connected drains held with nothing but duct tape coming loose, dripping inside down the wall on a LH side penetration, or down the pipe capping and wiring into the isolator if the drain connection is outside.

I'm getting fairly sick of condensate water and drains at the moment ;)

MikeHolm
24-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I hope your helper makes a speedy recovery :eek:

I've been lucky enough not to break any bones so far but have fallen off a ladder when the fork lift driver parked with the forks up in the air, me in my usual rush ran up the ladder, DING!!! woke up some time later on the ground, no sense, no feeling as they say :)

Jon

Try this on for size. No one really likes inspectors, but when you gotta go, ya gotta go and sometimes cranes get in the way but it can be worth it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6A9K0jhZ5M

Accidents do happen...

Brian_UK
24-03-2011, 10:16 PM
We finally got an offer on the house today so it looks like we could be moving soon.

More trips to the dump now before the weekend fishing.

r.bartlett
25-03-2011, 06:25 AM
We finally got an offer on the house today so it looks like we could be moving soon.

More trips to the dump now before the weekend fishing.

Fair play Brian -off to somewhere nice ?

Brian_UK
25-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Fair play Brian -off to somewhere nice ?
Nice? Depends on how you look at it. ;)

Hoping to move nearer work, around the Torbay/Newton Abbot area; presently doing about 42000 miles a year which is getting a bit much as well as making me expensive to employ.

Seen a few possibilities on the web just got to narrow it down and wind up the agents.

paul_h
29-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Now I'm semi retired for the year. Still got work from last month to do, and get about 4 jobs per day. But it's nice now and I can relax a bit.

Spoke too soon, still busy. Every day above 31C here still, and it's supposed to be Autumn! Heaps of calls monday, and nearly every one a drain/water leak problem, what the hell?

Drop kicks from daikin still stuffing me around for parts ordered 18/2.
First they did nothing with the order, then waiting for payment (they had me cc details, but expected me to call them), then "oh, it's out of stock" for a week, then delivered to the wrong address. A comedy of errors as they say.
It's not like they'd be busy, it has never been summer in the eastern states this year! Pretty much nothing for them to do. Not touching another daikin I think.

The late hot weather is good for my chillies though ;)
got dorset, trinidad scorpion, bhut jolokia, 7 pot, chocolate habereros, scotch bonnet, thai birdseye, cayenne just starting to flower and recover from bug and aphid attacks (damn ants!). Japeleno and baby birdseye almost dead, no leaves left after the aphids, all dropping off.

r.bartlett
29-03-2011, 05:46 PM
The late hot weather is good for my chillies though ;)
got dorset, trinidad scorpion, bhut jolokia, 7 pot, chocolate habereros, scotch bonnet, thai birdseye, cayenne just starting to flower and recover from bug and aphid attacks (damn ants!). Japeleno and baby birdseye almost dead, no leaves left after the aphids, all dropping off.

Can I have some seeds please as I am quite getting into growing chillis :-)

mikeref
30-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Must have been oldies day out today.:rolleyes:, no matter where i went there was someone holding up the traffic, and several vehicles following behind him just stayed in line:confused:?? yesterday must have been the enforcements day out... no matter where i went.. you know the rest. Everywhere is the clue:rolleyes:!

paul_h
30-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Can I have some seeds please as I am quite getting into growing chillis :-)
Yeah maybe later. Right now they are no good for seeds and there's not much growing on them anyway due to aphids).
I'm keeping them all together to maximise pollination to get heaps of chillies next month, it make them easier to look after them and have them all in the sunniest spot right now when they're all together.
No good to collect seeds from for now, as there is going to be cross pollination so the seeds will just bear hybrids.
After chilli growth has died down a bit, (and I cut through 30yrs worth of old garden full of vines and crap to make room), I'll separate the plants as much as possible and try to hand pollinate them, so whatever grows will be a pure strain which I can save the seeds from.

MikeHolm
30-03-2011, 01:17 PM
20 to 1 water and dish soap can take care of the aphids but might take a couple of applications

r.bartlett
30-03-2011, 01:39 PM
20 to 1 water and dish soap can take care of the aphids but might take a couple of applications

Be careful on the mix I went in too strong on the soap and lost 6 great plants :-(

paul_h
30-03-2011, 01:47 PM
I didn't do too well either. Used a 1/4 tspn of detergent in 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup of oil. That's a solution I've heard of and decided to try.
I thought the detergent was there just to make the oil and water miscible, and it's the oil that traps and drowns them?
Anyway, some leaves going black on the chillies, but looks like they survive. Got a bit of overspray on the tomatoes, and they look really sick and will probably die.

eggs
30-03-2011, 10:21 PM
What is it about growing chillies at the moment?

I bought some cheap seeds a few months ago from Lidl to make wine from. It now seems everyone is growing them.
I have a kitchen window sill full of jalapeños all destined to drown in an alcoholic haze :D

Eggs

ps, yes the bog paper is in the fridge

paul_h
01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Finally fitted the daikin PCB I've been waiting 5 weeks for.
It's nice when there's just 1 hour in your life that things go right.
That PCB fixed the a/c, plus this afternoon I had a DOA call from a customer that I do warranty for, spoke to the installer, found out they didn't connect comms, so I don't have to go to it, he has to do it.
Two nice things happened this afternoon.
Though the gearbox in my ute stuffed up again...
Oh well, can't win them all, at least two things worked out.
Going to celebrate with a coopers pale ale or two, stuff all those cheap and nasty euro lagers, and forget all the other crap I have to deal with.

monkey spanners
01-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Have been working on an ancient Prestcold (pressed steel) unit, must be 50+ years old, original relay and capacitors! finally died after sounding very knocky for the last five years. Capacitors smell slightly of oranges so no doubt i'm covered in pcb's now :eek:

Will try and get a vid of it running before i change it.

mikeref
03-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Hey Jon, while doing the vid, maybe take a moment to look into the camera so we can put a face to the name:D.If you are camera shy, then wear a balaclava (think thats how it's spelt).;).. Mike.

monkey spanners
03-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Hey Jon, while doing the vid, maybe take a moment to look into the camera so we can put a face to the name:D.If you are camera shy, then wear a balaclava (think thats how it's spelt).;).. Mike.

Too Late! i've already changed it! No doubt with my dyslexia combined with camera shyness i'd end up wearing a baklava which is a type of cake :D

Quick look round the unit,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYDj55iwoU

Quick run of it before the overloads tripped,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOt8gNXC_cg&feature=related

And the 'new' unit running,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzkQO8PfWM&NR=1

paul_h
06-04-2011, 04:05 PM
What is it about growing chillies at the moment?

I bought some cheap seeds a few months ago from Lidl to make wine from. It now seems everyone is growing them.
I have a kitchen window sill full of jalapeños all destined to drown in an alcoholic haze :D

Eggs

ps, yes the bog paper is in the fridge
You i) want seeds, ii) really want to see people eat hot hot hot chillies?
Look up the hippy seed company for seeds and look up their youtube channel to witness someone eating a whole chilli and suffering the effects.

Update on mine, bought some white oil and treated them for aphids. Bad news, not much happening on the flowering and fruiting front. Got a few, but not growing much, only one thats powering along is the czech black, and hybrid birdseye. And the warm weather is over too, rain and storms expected now. Going to get some lazerlight/perspex roof sheeting to make a lean to 'glass house' against the tin shed wall once I got rid of all the useless vines covering it

mikeref
07-04-2011, 01:01 AM
It's been miserable weather on the east coast for months. Drizzle and constant cloud cover was the order AGAIN yesterday when i was called to a private residence on a farm. The driveway was roughly 150m down a slope to the house and it was not paved. Gut feeling said not to drive down, but i didn't want to carry parts and tools by hand. Worst case result quickly followed when vehicle sunk in the mud and slipped down to residence. The first words i said to customer was Damn.. nasty driveway you have.. and.. hope you have a tractor in your back pocket to tow me back up the hill. To cut a long story short, with fridge job completed, i said, so, how about that tractor? Sure enough, out comes the beast with slasher attached and under the car i crawl, in the red mud to attach my tow line. He drags me out o.k. but there is mud in my shoes, up my back, over steering wheel and over seat cover. I am sooo up to here ^ with these conditions:(.. Mike.

monkey spanners
12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Was working with my friend Dave recently, swaping a cold room evap, he was drilling the holes for the nylon bar to go through and opined that he must have extaordinarily long arms as the other day he had managed to drill a hole through a wall where Pete couldn't reach due to site conditions.

He then set to with the tape measure and after some debate as to where to start and finish measuring he decided that his arm was 70cm long, at which news i started with the 'right turn clyde' jokes as he's always saying that when i'm driving.

Well then the challenge was set for me, i'm thinking maybe 65cm as i'm quite a bit shorter....

77cm :eek::rolleyes::o:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHeRaAy3cWQ

So its off to Borneo for me then :confused:

Goober
13-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Went to site today to remove two 20kw Carrier ASHP from a new $200k chilled/heated water system we had just installed and commisioned about 6 weeks ago.....why I hear you ask? Cause the weekend just gone, the whole factory went up in flames............. and we had only just put in our final claim. ASHP's all that was left standing.

Slim R410a
13-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Changed the outdoor PC Board on a Toshiba RAV-SP1404AT-E after P26 Fault code.

All up and running fine again. Quite impressed by the 9No. fixing screws for the board!

monkey spanners
13-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Went to site today to remove two 20kw Carrier ASHP from a new $200k chilled/heated water system we had just installed and commisioned about 6 weeks ago.....why I hear you ask? Cause the weekend just gone, the whole factory went up in flames............. and we had only just put in our final claim. ASHP's all that was left standing.

I hope no one was injured in the fire and also that you get paid for all the work done!

Brian_UK
13-04-2011, 07:07 PM
What I did yesterday

I briefly met with Grizzly but didn't know it till the end of the day, nuts.

mikeref
13-04-2011, 11:29 PM
What I did yesterday

I briefly met with Grizzly but didn't know it till the end of the day, nuts.
Sooo, how did you know it was Grizzly? I speak with lots of parts suppliers on the phone, but wouldn't know them if i bumped into them on the street:o. Supplies are transported here from the city, 1.5 hours drive away.. mike.

Brian_UK
13-04-2011, 11:43 PM
^^ 'Cos he sent me a message after I had left site. Later I caught on to who it could have been.

mikeref
14-04-2011, 12:00 AM
^^ 'Cos he sent me a message after I had left site. Later I caught on to who it could have been.
Could it have gone something like..... Hey Brian, Had to work with an outsider today, this fellow thought he was mister cool, with squeaky clean clothes and all. Could have said what i thought about his attitude but only had to put up with him for 1/2 hour or so....:eek::D. OOPS!

Goober
14-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Nobody injured or lost in fire....

Brian_UK
14-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Actually met up with our Grizzly today and enjoyed a cup of coffee in the almost sunshine while we talked about nothing in particular, as you do (not like them women types).

I think overall that we did manage to put the world to rights so come the revolution folks, stand back - we're coming through. ;)

Magoo
15-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Hi Goober.
where was the factory fire in Auckland.

Goober
15-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Magoo,

Tuakau.

monkey spanners
10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Changed an air blower on an ice builder, chased various wholesalers for parts, drove about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhXwY5klQQE

charlie patt
10-05-2011, 09:32 PM
fitted a wash board on a mueller then a ref leak on a lovelly polar ice machine i still have no idea why a customer would buy these units then back the unit and sort a gah unit on a truck, a maverick condensor and a rover 25 then back out to a freezer room with moisture, anew customer who was fed up with payeing for driers every 6 months, units are two 8 hp bitzers on 053 driers the pipework is dropped down to three eight just before driers then raised back to five eight, fittrd some 305 driers , just about to go home and had a bottle cooler to look at 3 miles from where i started if i could invent a machine that evened out work and calls i would be a very rich man

glenn1340
10-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Finally finished the VW Caddy chiller conversion and delivered it back to the customer. The installation of the chiller system and insulation kit went ok but when it came to supplying the ignition feed to the controller, well it seems all modern vehicles have a system called CAN BUS which supplies digital sgnals to different relays around the vehicle. So it`s not just a matter of cutting into the ignition wiring as by doing this you can create all sorts of spurious electrical faults. So I had to buy an interface relay and then pay an auto electrician to find the CAN HIGH and CAN LOW wires and tap into those. I suppose I could have tried to install the relay myself but experience has taught me vehicle electrical faults can be a right pain..
So, although I quite enjoyed the original install I won`t be going into the refrigerated vehicle market any time soon.

eggs
10-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Panicked when three BIG (to me) jobs came in and all want doing ASAP.

Eggs

1torr
11-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Condemned a brand new inverter pcb which someone fitted yesterday. Found both outdoor fan motors faulty and damaged it. Original fault was L1 on a Daikin RZQ100D7V1B.

cold.man
11-05-2011, 08:15 PM
set of to ****ermouth in cumbria at 06.00 from stockport cleared a full island of drains ( crap job ) and fitted new door handle on provisions coldroom. travelled to lancaster rewired KOXKA 3 door freezer and replaced mercury rdm controller on same case. back home in stockport for 18.30.
the only bonus about today was great day to drive to cumbria really nice when sunny crap when raining though.

djbe
11-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Left a set of gauges in the back of a truck, under pressure to get it finished and gone doh! :mad:

Only realised when on the next job looking for them but too late to call someone. Just hoping they have been put somewhere safe for me and not binned them.

frank
11-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Spent 2 hours checking why the Panasonic twin split refused to operate without any fault codes on the controller before I went to check the outdoor unit (ladders involved) and found the little LED's flashing compressor overcurrent.....DOH!

eggs
11-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Sat my 17th edition test. I got 93%.
Just need to do the 2079 now.........how long have we got left?

Eggs

monkey spanners
11-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Sat my 17th edition test. I got 93%.
Just need to do the 2079 now.........how long have we got left?

Eggs

Think its July 4th!!! Which will be here before we know it, was telling someone today i'd start an install in May, they pointed out we are already half way through! Not sure which month i was living in....

eggs
11-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Think its July 4th!!! Which will be here before we know it, was telling someone today i'd start an install in May, they pointed out we are already half way through! Not sure which month i was living in....

i have my C&G 2391 inspecting and testing in June...........I might not bother with the 2079, it's easier, cheaper and more profitable to be a spark.......lol.

Think about it guys, we already have the customers. Why not sell them another service as well?

.......and when air to water really kicks in, who will they turn to?

Eggs

eggs
12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Sold my first job as an "Electrical Contractor" :eek:to an existing client...........anyone know of any proper electricians that can pull me out of the $hit? ;)

Money for old rope, generally sparks charge me me £50/point for fcu's on VRF's, £350 for a 230v supply to a split and £500 for a 3ph. Ha.....Haaaaa.... Not anymore.

Eggs

monkey spanners
12-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Sold my first job as an "Electrical Contractor" :eek:to an existing client...........anyone know of any proper electricians that can pull me out of the $hit? ;)

Money for old rope, generally sparks charge me me £50/point for fcu's on VRF's, £350 for a 230v supply to a split and £500 for a 3ph. Ha.....Haaaaa.... Not anymore.

Eggs

Hahaha Love it! I've been thinking about doing a gas safe course, might keep me busier in the winter doing heating.

paul_h
13-05-2011, 05:21 PM

Eggs
350 for a split?
I've got a guy just starting out just like me and it's au$220 for a 10A circuit and au$270 for a 20a circuit. I can't do the pound sign from my laptop, but thats about 90 pounds for a 10A and 120 for a 20A circuit. If the prices seem low you, well a whole split system can be fitted here for 200 pounds. Not that I do them that cheap, but plenty of electricians and plumbers do in spring or autumn.

But anyway, where to find an electrcian:
Just like when you were starting out, the prices were lower, but no one could find you due to lack of advertising budget.
You've been there, so are the electricians starting out on their own right now.

Look harder or stand by the local electrical company driveway at knock off time and ask everyone if they are interested in a cash job as they are leaving.

edit: I think I lost few brain cells and didn't 'get' it, so nevermind me

eggs
13-05-2011, 10:18 PM
edit: I think I lost few brain cells and didn't 'get' it, so nevermind me

Phew, I thought it was them across the other pond in the good old U, S of A that didn't get our irony. :D

Glad you got there in the end.

Cheers

Steve. (Ps, can a mod change me to Steve?, I don't know who eggs is. No one has ever called me eggs as long as i have lived)

frank
14-05-2011, 07:03 PM
(Ps, can a mod change me to Steve?, I don't know who eggs is. No one has ever called me eggs as long as i have lived)

EGGS/Steve

Only the Boss has the power to change your moniker.

Send Webram a PM asking for the change...cheers

minus1
17-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Got to put a freezer coldroom in a basement of a fish mongers shop ,stinks, flys everywhere the otherside ov m25 .3 hours ov traffic then thay phone up where rrrrrrrr u ,poxy job.

cadwaladr
17-05-2011, 09:27 PM
set up a controller,mended an ice machine,bought a telly for my beach home

mikeref
17-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Left at sunrise to change compressor on coldroom at a cattle station 2.5 hours away. An hour and 1/2 was dirt road. Problem was, it took longer than expected and sundown was approaching. Not ideal driving conditions at thoes hours in the bush as skippies bounce out and often cause serious vehicle damage. Settling into a steady pace on this rough gravel road when out popped the cattle, so it was either them or the bush for me. ABS braking systems are useless on dirt roads, might as well open the door and stick your foot out. After some serious grinding of rocks and dead branches under the ute, i've now got a vehicle minus two mufflers, and today i'll find out what else is missing when vehicle goes up the hoist:rolleyes:.. mike.

MikeHolm
22-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Had to listen to a client complain about how ugly a big American can style 48MBTU HP looks in the front yard so....."oh can you make it look long and flat so i don't have to see it out my window" .... of course mum, I have a custom powdercoated enclosure in my back pocket.

MikeHolm
22-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Oh , and "would you like toast with that, mum"

monkey spanners
22-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Had to listen to a client complain about how ugly a big American can style 48MBTU HP looks in the front yard so....."oh can you make it look long and flat so i don't have to see it out my window" .... of course mum, I have a custom powdercoated enclosure in my back pocket.

I've had something similar with a wall mount, "i don't want to see it" (wanted it above a bay window, insted of the side wall i recommended) "you'll be in a draft when its heating", "I want it there!", "ok!"

After some time, "its drafty, can you move it"........:rolleyes:

monkey spanners
22-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Left at sunrise to change compressor on coldroom at a cattle station 2.5 hours away. An hour and 1/2 was dirt road. Problem was, it took longer than expected and sundown was approaching. Not ideal driving conditions at thoes hours in the bush as skippies bounce out and often cause serious vehicle damage. Settling into a steady pace on this rough gravel road when out popped the cattle, so it was either them or the bush for me. ABS braking systems are useless on dirt roads, might as well open the door and stick your foot out. After some serious grinding of rocks and dead branches under the ute, i've now got a vehicle minus two mufflers, and today i'll find out what else is missing when vehicle goes up the hoist:rolleyes:.. mike.

Whats the damage on the ute?

Reminds me of my mate, boss borrowed his works trooper one winter and put it through a hedge in the snow, never said anything, mates driving next day, every now and then theres an odd noise and a sort of hopping feeling, had a look and there was still a branch stuck under it which was catching the road every so often!

mikeref
22-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Hi Jon. Yeh, up the hoist it went to find underside has similar damage to a ship aground on a coral reef. More than a grand to replace 3 mufflers and pipe + one rear air bag leak + need engine sump guard as i nearly tore out sump. Air bags are fitted inside rear coil springs space to assist in load carrying capacity. No external pannel damage... Got to watch these mechanics though, after an oil change some time ago, i drove off and the faster i went, the vibration increased and a loud slapping noise was obvious. I pulled over and found 2 cableties on the driveshaft. One had a large nut secured and the other was slapping underside of vehicle. CHEEKY BUGGERS:), I knew who did it.. Mike.

cadwaladr
23-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Hi Jon. Yeh, up the hoist it went to find underside has similar damage to a ship aground on a coral reef. More than a grand to replace 3 mufflers and pipe + one rear air bag leak + need engine sump guard as i nearly tore out sump. Air bags are fitted inside rear coil springs space to assist in load carrying capacity. No external pannel damage... Got to watch these mechanics though, after an oil change some time ago, i drove off and the faster i went, the vibration increased and a loud slapping noise was obvious. I pulled over and found 2 cableties on the driveshaft. One had a large nut secured and the other was slapping underside of vehicle. CHEEKY BUGGERS:), I knew who did it.. Mike.we used to tie coke cans etc to mates cars undersides and once we had a number plate made with funny index one guy drove around for a week before noticing lmao!

kuhler
03-06-2011, 07:37 PM
arrived on site was told the toliet was leaking explained to moron i was the refrigeration engineer so when will you fix it was reply watched moron try to remove swager from his head went to see fm WHAT ABOUT THESE CONSTANT DRAUGHTS and a good morning to you was my reply explained to lap top carrying idiot for the 12 time that the mitsibishi vrfs were fighting against the fresh air system because this had originally been a carrier vav system and thou the boxes had been removed the stupid satchwell 2800 system was still programmed as a vav system and not a fresh air system fm then tried to find some sort of spread sheet on laptop to give reply answer on not finding one stormed off to order some coffee.after walking through office to a hail of abuse from varoiuse members of the call center about sheilas hot nigels cold and ive got a draught up my never regions hid in plantroom.reset water chiller as security guard did fire test and could not fathom out that the button that said reset plant reset the plant.Cleaned condensor on daiken split as kids had thrown their mcdonalds dinner into it.Filled out 4 million permits for variuose pratts who decided to start work on a friday.Had cig ,started car jumped fence in it and went home
For Ever Damned and Called Fridge Engineer whoops sorry multiskilled technican aka Baldrick

monkey spanners
05-06-2011, 07:20 PM
*Free beer for the first person to tell me whats wrong with this freezer.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL-CxPsvIq0

*terms and conditions apply :D

MikeHolm
05-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Jon, good thing you said "first person". Could have got expensive

monkey spanners
05-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Jon, good thing you said "first person". Could have got expensive

I know! I still owe beers from the last time.....

Brian_UK
05-06-2011, 10:16 PM
You've never got a decent vacuum cleaner when you need one....

monkey spanners
05-06-2011, 10:32 PM
You've never got a decent vacuum cleaner when you need one....

Neither has the customer now! He wasn't having a good day, freezer broke, boiler leaking water, someone broke his hoover and when i went to unplug the extension lead the plug fell apart....

Just hope he pays.....

oldtimer
07-06-2011, 12:24 AM
went to a site decant willaims case replaced compressor / drier / replaced condenser fan motor cleaned condenser vac system weigh gas in .. replaced some drain lines in 2 coldrooms and replaced starter tubes and 3 ballast then got the feck out of and home

old timer

r.bartlett
15-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Had to go to Bath College to do the F-gas thingy. 3 days and I hate that section of M4 between Swindon and Bath it just seems to go on forever

Anyway on my way this morning about 7.00 went round to Newbury Tesco to fill up and some guy in a metallic blue Merc van in front of me went round the roundabout like a madman..White sign writing said HarT & Co refrigeration

Some bloody monkey or his mate no doubt..:D

monkey spanners
15-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Anyway on my way this morning about 7.00 went round to Newbury Tesco to fill up and some guy in a metallic blue Merc van in front of me went round the roundabout like a madman..White sign writing said HarT & Co refrigeration

Some bloody monkey or his mate no doubt..:D

It wasn't me! I've been driving like a madman in Chipping Norton today!

simon@parker
15-06-2011, 09:02 PM
condemned a screw compressor on a carrier water chiller electrical burn out got other section up and running as it was pretty critiical price for a re build 6450 quid lift an shift 1400 quid price for a new one 18445 quid lift an shift 750 knowing the customer as i do as i am a direct employee they gonna talk about it for 3months sh*t will hit the fan in 6months they will buy the new one and as the kit only just under 3yrs old they will want to find someone to blame for the failure am glad i wasnt working for them then :) lol

MikeHolm
23-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Went an hour out of town today, in the middle of nowhere, to install a buffer tank in a crowded boiler room and forgot the only tube cutter that would fit in the tiny space. No saw of any kind, high humidity and an as**ole client so I went back to the shop, and low and behold, the bar fridge had one more ice cold Stiegl beer. The day is not all lost.

a/c.king
24-06-2011, 11:34 AM
easy jobs
U4 on daikin
ne outdoor pcb easy donr
APAC S23 TRIP ON HP indoor fan going on oveload trip after 30mints run new indoor fan motor unit work like new
samsong split unit checked compressor grounded to be replaced

that how my service report looked like for today