PDA

View Full Version : When a pumpdown did NOT!

mikeref
31-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Working on an older container not reaching 2c, had been running on R134a and the copeland semi cycling on L.P. Closed off reciever when i found 3/8 drier cool on outlet. The distance between reciever and drier about 4 foot. Cycled Lp several times manually untill compound gauge stopped rising then undid drier flare on the outlet side, great, then started unscrewing flare on inlet and contaminated "chocolate" coloured oil oozed out. Wriggled the nut then BANG WHOOSH! When i could see again the flare was still on the drier and the contents saturated me from a to b. Completed the job, kept the faulty flare and drove home( 30mins) in my jocks.:o

Grizzly
31-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Working on an older container not reaching 2c, had been running on R134a and the copeland semi cycling on L.P. Closed off reciever when i found 3/8 drier cool on outlet. The distance between reciever and drier about 4 foot. Cycled Lp several times manually untill compound gauge stopped rising then undid drier flare on the outlet side, great, then started unscrewing flare on inlet and contaminated "chocolate" coloured oil oozed out. Wriggled the nut then BANG WHOOSH! When i could see again the flare was still on the drier and the contents saturated me from a to b. Completed the job, kept the faulty flare and drove home( 30mins) in my jocks.:o

Nice to notice an "Old Hand" admitting that things still go wrong.
I bet that oil smelt "sweet" on your clothes.
Nice one Grizzly.

desA
31-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Bet your wife loved having to wash the oily clothes. :)

james10
31-08-2010, 06:31 PM
lol, i once knew an apprentice who was changing relief valves on a chiller and took the wrong one off 3/4 bore off the oil sep whilst system was running it took some getting back on

Brian_UK
31-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Messing around with an old removed drier that had the plastic caps on.

Idly removed one of the caps which promptly blew off half way undone due to the pressure inside.

Problem was it injected my forearm with all the crap that was inside the drier. Looked like my arm had been painted with a black stipple brush, but below the skin. Took a week before it started coming out of the skin again.

Didn't half hurt too.

james10
01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
But back to the thread topic....OR NOT - Hey Ho.
you looking at the wrong thread Brian?:D

EDIT: Thanks James, wondered why I couldn't see elsewhere, must be dummy day.... Cheers Brian

lowcool
02-09-2010, 01:33 AM
good thing you were wearing jocks bet the truckies would still be double looking

mikeref
28-10-2010, 04:27 AM
Still do the work there but carry plenty of rags and spare clothes now.. the workwear of that day didn't survive.