PDA

View Full Version : Scary Moments in Refrigeration.

homelover
20-06-2005, 12:00 AM
The other day I had a brown trouser moment the first one for ages,

This old R22 pack was suffering with the classic oil seperator stuck shut, and judging by the hammer marks on the float had been for some time,

I ordered and fitted a nice new Temperite seperator to clean the oil and cure the oil problems,
After the initial 24 hr run on the installed filter I attended site to change it for the 2nd filter.

After checking that the new filter was ok and complete with new gasket ( BEEN THERE BEFORE) I isolated the filter and with the filter out i thought shall i re-use the old gasket as it's only been in there 24 hrs Nah ill fit the nice new one,

I dug out the old gasket and cleaned it and attempted to fit the new gasket " shock and horror it was slightly too big for the groove" oh well,
after bolting the unit back together all 20 or so bolts not in the most accesseably place I pressure tested the unit, DOH yep it leaked.

Isolate unit again (pack off manager twitching) undo the same 20 or so nuts and bolts open unit to find the new gasket broken...

Great !. pack off , no gasket, manager winging,
worst sinarios running through head ( 4pm friday no spares.)

Now what to do
1. phone stores. ha ha very funny.
2. Run away and hide.
3. make new gasket.

Time to find the gasket paper and make a gasket,
After emptying the contents of the van i found some gasket paper only one piece big enough therefore one shot.

I managed to tap out the gasket and it fitted ok.
Refit the unit,
20 nuts and bolts ( sweating nicely by this time).

Pressure test unit wow thank god no leaks,
Leaktest unit, evacuated, and open up to system.
Pack back online.

It's enough to make a man take to the drink...

Conclusion..
1. Temperite make good seperators but **** gaskets.
2. Make sure your stock of gasket paper is ok.
3. never attempt on Friday afternoon.

Homelover.
Just a man good and sometimes bad....

gerryboy00
20-06-2005, 04:10 AM
2. Make sure your stock of gasket paper is ok.
3. never attempt on Friday afternoon.

:) make sense

Andy W
20-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Lessons to be learnt from this episode, with it being a pack and regarded as "critical" speak to the manager and suggest leaving some consumables and certain bits for emergency repairs, I do as I have been there before. Right try this one that happened to me in 1987, attend site to carry out the maintenance on a integral Craig Nicol island site freezer which was working fine, switch it back on and the compressor seized, now try to explain to the customer. Last week exactly the same thing happened to a customer of mine with a Norpe counter, he switched it off in error, realised and switched it back on......compressor seized. Explain that one!