PDA

View Full Version : pinhole leak found

Amopower
28-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I found out where my AC unit is losing R-22. There is a tiny pinhole leak at a coupling on the low side copper pipe, about 8" from the compressor.
What's the best way to fix this? Is brazing the only option? The hole is so small that a full charge on the unit lasts about a month.
I'd like to get a pro to perform the repair, but i dont want to be taken for a ride. I had already called someone in a few years ago, and of course "i need a new system". Tired of the "pros" trying to take advantage of people. This time around I am going to tell THEM what I want done and ask for a quote.
I suspect I need them to braze that hole, but would they first need to recover the refrigerant, fill the line with nitrogen, braze, then vacuum out the nitrogen and refill the *****? Is there any other way around this? (i.e. would a drop of solder do the trick on this very tiny hole)

james10
28-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Best getting the pro's in to do the work like you said tell them exactly want you want doing if they tell you otherwise then it's your descion on what to do, if you just soldered over the leak it would only be a temporary fix which in turn would cause even more harmful hcfc's in to the atomosphere which is exactly why our industry is becoming more and more regulated

sedgy
28-08-2010, 05:09 PM
hi amopower , it seems you have had some poor a-c tecs working on your equipment, < in fact your thread reads like you have had a leak for years?< but if it only lasts for a month , why have you not had the firm back to rectify their problem? it will be under garauntee wont it?
hope you make sure the jobs done correctly this time,

paul_h
28-08-2010, 05:39 PM
It's normally a split in the pipe if it's not on an actual weld already.
Cut a small section of pipe out and braze in a new section.

so reclaim, cut, weld, evac and recharge is the way to go.

fridge doctor
29-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Agree with Paul, sorry but you seem to be thinking that someone can drop a blob of solder on to the hole, and it will seal. The system is under pressure perhaps 16 bar at that point when the system is stopped. Apply a brazing torch to it, and you will 1/ enlarge the hole due to expansion of the metal, 2/ choke everyone around you with Fosgene (poisonous gas), and 3/ Never, ever be able to seal anything against even .25 bar let alone 16.

Get the job done properly, it should take a couple of hours max depending on the location of the outdoor unit.