PDA

View Full Version : outdoor fan wrong rotation

jcastillo401
27-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Hello, i'm new in this trade, here is my trouble, I fixed an a/c split w/ gas heater, the compressor capacitors (run & star cap) both was wrong, I change with exact the same capacitors, I put every thing back. but the outdoor fan was rotating wrong direction, (this only have one direction), what did it happend, someone can help me, please....

Thanks

sedgy
28-08-2010, 12:23 PM
hi 401
is this motor single ph or 3 ph?
if its 3 ph , change over 2 wires onto different phases,
if its single ph, is the fan blade fitted the right way? is the motor fitted the right way? somemotors can be stripped down and fitted to suit the direction thats requiered, and some motors can be re-wiered internaly to change direction . hope this helps , sedgy

chemi-cool
28-08-2010, 12:41 PM
There are few ways to change the rotation direction in 1 phase motors:

You can change the rotor position in 180°.

You can change the wires between the "0" and one of the capacitor wires.

You can change the motor.

When in doubt, check the rotation direction prior to assembling.

Yuri B.
28-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Possibilities:
1. (Some possibility is) poster is so "new in this trade" that he takes the right direction to be wrong.
2. Sometimes air flow from fans on small splits may be so indistinct (especially with the wind in the face of the unit) that one may have the impression fan rotating wrong direction.
3. (Most probably) fan is dying - in this particular way - measuring current and looking how hot it is after a short while would confirm it (checking the capacitor also).
4. If there are 2 fans, that , bad one is not running at all and is just carried by the vacuum created by the running , good one.

paul_h
28-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Yes it is possible to change direction in some motors.
Bear in mind that many american units are designed to be blow through (like window wall mount box RACs), they suck air in front the front and blow it through the condenser and onto the wall of the house , not draw through from the back and blow out like most split system units made elsewhere.
So make sure i) even if it seems going the wrong way, the fan blade may still be spinning the correct way for it's design. ii) also take note of which side the condenser entry is from the compressor. Obviously cooler air to the end of the condenser first.

Could be it's going the wrong way due to someone changing the motor, fan blade or wiring previously. But could be it's going the way it's supposed to due to it's design.
Otherwise it could be the start winding on the fan motor faulty. But still check the fan blades and condenser for it's design.

fridge doctor
29-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Many single phase 3-wire PSC motors can be reversed. Most have a circuit diagram printed on the body of the motor. If not, start by establishing which is the live wire to the motor (Let's assume it is red). Of the other two wires (let's call them blue and black). one will go to the motor from the 2/3 mfd capacitor, and the other will be neutral. The neutral wire may come straight from the terminal board, or more often is piggy-backed from the other side of the 2/3 mfd capacitor. Swap these two wires over and you will reverse the motor rotation.