PDA

View Full Version : Help please with a Mitsubishi Daiya

steve_k
26-08-2010, 09:00 PM
hi, could do with a bit of help here,

I have recently moved a Mitsubishi daiya internal duct unit about 2 meters, I pumped down the unit and altered the ducting, I shortened the exhaust ducts by about 1.5m and extended the intake the same,

all worked well until the heat of the summer (I am in Spain) and as soon at it gets hot outside the unit cuts out with the code E42
I understand this to be incorrect current at the compressor (asked here)

before I started the work I run the unit to make sure it was working fine, the output from the ducts was very weak and it seamed inefficient, I checked the filter on the internal unit to find it was blocked almost solid, when removed the unit worked much more efficiently, the blocked filter removed any doubts I had about extending the intake ducts by 1.5M (no extra bends)

I am a plumber come AC installation wanabee:cool: but I know my limitations, and even though finding the code I knew this was beyond me,
So i contacted a local Mitsu engineer and arranged for him to come round, unfortunately on the aloted day we had a storm come in and the fault couldn't be reproduced,
after 3 hours he determined it was the fault of the installation, ignoring my comments on the blocked filter being a bigger restriction than any extra ducting, and to prove his point he cut 3 holes in the brand new ceiling and disconnected one of the intake valves, telling us it will be fine now, and that's 150€ for the pleasure

guess what its not fine and the problem still exists, I have been paid for my work on the villa (it was part of a much bigger job) but obviously if this is my fault I want to know,
my problem is that all the so called engineers in my area are the same, I have been to 3, and after asking if they can tell me the error code or replace a compressor/inverter they all look at me like I am stupid, so I know its pointless and expensive to ask them to come,

I have found a Mitsubishi heavy 120 miles away, but I thought I would ask you before I gave them a ring

do you have any ideas as to what the cause of the fault could be?

momo
27-08-2010, 01:07 AM
"I am a plumber come AC installation wanabee... " Apreciate the honesty but formal training and "apprenticeship" would help... This leaves us with doubts about you applying correct proceedures when dealing with refrigerant systems. In any case Spain is having a bit of "warm" (42C+) weather at the moment and many system just cannot handle the load - though MITSIs are probably some of the better designed to cope with such hard use.

steve_k
27-08-2010, 10:27 AM
This leaves us with doubts about you applying correct procedures when dealing with refrigerant systems.

your assessment and insight of the problem is outstanding, I appreciate the time you have put into helping me:rolleyes:

for what its worth,
I have tried to make myself reasonably competent before I undertook installing domestic split units, 30 years in the trade and being a qualified plumber and electrician may have given me some of the necessary skills;)
out of the 20+ companies in my area only 1 other (according to my supplier) nitrogen pressure tests the system, and I was the first to buy a recovery unit,
I only fit the odd unit and certainly don't pretend to capable of anything more than correctly installing a domestic split unit,

I know my limitations, and a service engineer I am not,
unfortunately the so called service engineers in my area, don't know there limitations,

Any constructive help would be appreciated

wingman
27-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Could you give the correct model number of indoor and outdoor unit , Steve ?

sedgy
27-08-2010, 01:07 PM
hi steve k , reading between the lines , could there be air in the system? if there is any posibility of that , the only option is to reclaim the gas change the filter psi test, vac out and weigh in a new charge.
with living in your part of the world I have found a great difference in the standard of workmanship accress the poninsuila can you indicate where you are or pp me please, all the best
sedgy

steve_k
27-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I live in Javea, its half way between Alicante and Valencia

here it is standard procedure to vent the gas, weigh in a new charge and make no effort to find a leak, I know of several property owners who think that you need to re charge ac units every year,:eek:

when I checked the filter (before I did any work) on replacing it the unit tripped out with this error, at the time I thought replacing the filter(not cleaned properly) to fast had caused the error, though it worked fine after? and it had worked fine for 6 years previously

I can try your suggestions sedgy, I had asked the last engineer (from the biggest contractor in the area) to check the gas, he put a gauge on monitored the pressure and told me the gas was fine:mad:

sedgy
27-08-2010, 11:04 PM
hi steve k, thanks for getting back to me. I do understand your predicament, cos its the same here, I do make friends and try to gide them in the right direction < but I am < only an englaise hombray < what do I know about their summers?< I will see if I can find out about the fault code , will speak to you manyana, adios, sedgy,

Toosh
27-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi Steve Search this site there is a thread on your fault code

Norm

steve_k
28-08-2010, 08:56 AM
I found the code, but I don't know what it indicates

E42 Abnormally high current at the compressor

bigor_2
29-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Pay attention to page 3.
http://rapidshare.com/files/415770678/E42.pdf