PDA

View Full Version : blocked chillers

johnster
26-08-2010, 07:26 PM
im am a maintenance man for a large supermarket chain. whats the best way to stop the chillers from getting blocked and leaking water onto floor

Brian_UK
26-08-2010, 09:14 PM
I assume that you mean the cold cabinets, but could be wrong.

Simple answer is to keep them clean.

monkey spanners
26-08-2010, 10:55 PM
There was something in the trade magazine about the growths that block up supermarket case drains, can't remember any details so my comments a bit pointless...

Jon :o

lowcool
27-08-2010, 02:14 AM
flush and treat drains

Tayters
02-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Normally they leak due to a build up of slime in the drain.
Sludge Construction?

Well, take a run of cases with the drain running along the floor, going up/down 30' or so. This special drainage system is unique to the supermarket world.

I call anti-gravity. ;)

Let the water sit in it with a load of multiplying bacteria for a while.

As the bacteria run out of grub they form the jelly stuff (saccylitic or something similar it's called methinks)

Now let the case drains back up, pop a few fans and make some puddles.

So to get rid of it initially, remove the kick plates and work out which run of affected drain affect what cases.

Bung up all the drains in the cases with plastic bags from the produce section filled with blue roll.
Hoover out each drain in turn (the ragged up drains mean you vac out the pipe and not the air from the nearest drain!). Some badley blocked specimens may need the main run cutting in to clear.

Poke a bucket of hot water down each case for good measure and make sure the pipe is fully clear.

Squirt a load of anti-bacterial washing up liquid around the base of each case. This helps to stop the bacteria growing in the first place and makes the whole place smell nice.
Might even have a subliminal effect on the shoppers and cause them to buy more lemons.

All the details and one of my beauties I netted from a Tesco produce drain. Man, it was like trying to land a Marlin...
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24539

Cheers,

Andy.

NoNickName
03-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Put algae growth-prevention tabs into the drain pans. They are made up of silver and copper ions or compounds, slowly released through a polymeric ligand.

chemi-cool
03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Coils and drain pipes should cleaned on regular bases, its part of preventing maintenance.

I always add some general purpose cleaner to the water, i don't know the English name but it is used in every home that cares.

All the house hold chemicals are good for our trade as they are very mild.

For example, toilet lime scale remover, does wonders to dirty condenser coils.