PDA

View Full Version : Learning on the job.

taz24
26-08-2010, 11:00 AM

In my opinion the best way to learn is to be with people who know what they are
doing and watch them.Then you get to do the simple jobs like sweep up and make tea ;)
After a while you get to hold a spanner and hit things with a hammer, then after a lot longer
some snotty nosed yooof is with you watching you work and making you tea.

If all that can be done and include formal education like college and training schemes all the better.

So how do people cope when they are given a van and an A to Z and told to get on with it, no
backup no training and no hope of knowing what is what.

A bit of an open endded question realy but why do companies think mentoring a young one
(or not so young) is not cost effective.

Is that why Refrigeration is family based, you know sons of engineers or uncles or friends of
mates dad, type things. Are they the ones doing apprenticships??

I've no answers... Maybey I'm too old in my ways and thinkings :confused: :confused:

All the best

taz

Silhouette
26-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm currently mentoring an ex service engineer in the dark magic that is commissioning, does that count?

icecube51
27-08-2010, 07:13 PM
it is when you start at a job say 6 a.m, and you see the finish line at 9 p.m.
there is when the get lost in translation. thats the reason why they don't want to be an engineer.
they just want to be a big shot and call them selfs VIP's in the pub.
engineering is a disease, a microbe in the blood. you can learn them to bring you tea, but not to make good tea. don't learn them how to hit it whit a hammer, hit them whit a hammer. then they will want to become like you and start to learn the practice.
this is experience talking, I started on my 14# birthday and still in the trade.

Ice

monkey spanners
27-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I have trained two guys up when i worked for my old employer, both guys had done a short course and were then put with me installing, I think it was a good two years before i let one of them do flares :p the other took to things more quickly and both are now successful engineers, though i don't claim any credit for this :D

Myself, i worked with my dad on fridge stuff since around the age of seven, starting off as spanner fetcher and light holder.

Jon :)