PDA

View Full Version : Aussies stunned by underdogs

rbartlett
18-06-2005, 08:37 PM
"Bangladesh produced a major sporting upset by defeating shell-shocked Australia by five wickets with four balls to spare in a NatWest Series clash at sun-baked Sophia Gardens.
Aussie skipper Ricky Ponting's side were 100-1 on with bookmakers William Hill before the game to triumph in their first game in the competition.

But instead their disappointing start to the Ashes became a crisis after they failed to defend a challenging total of 249 five from 50 overs on a slow pitch.

A superb innings from Mohammad Ashraful was the mainstay of Bangladesh's victory - only their 10th in 108 internationals.

He reached three figures in limited-overs cricket for the first time off 100 balls with 11 fours before falling to the next delivery from Jason Gillespie.

Ashraful shared a fourth-wicket stand of 130 in 23 overs with skipper Habibul Bashar (47) to provide the cornerstone of a win which was greeted with euphoria by their fans.

Bangladesh needed seven off the final over from Jason Gillespie and Aftab Ahmed hammered the first ball for six over long-on and a single off the next ball completed the win. "

okay, so now the aussies are officially rubbish at sport -what's left for 'god's own country' ?

cheers

richard

Abe
18-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Way to go Bhangra!!
Lets hope the thousands of Bengali tandoori restaurants up and down the land dole out free poppadoms to customers tonight!!!
:D

Temprite
19-06-2005, 02:37 AM
Hello all.

After posting the thread about the ashes,I was just waiting for some one to post something about the latest loss.

Disgraceful effort, how can a team of such strength be humbled like that?

Is it the end of an era for the australian team?

I am sure that I will be well informed if they lose again :)

FreezerGeezer
20-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Well, they put up a better fight against us yesterday. At one stage I really thought they had us, but then... Talk about a thrilling end to the match! Looks like Australia's dominance is on the wane at last! :D

Temprite
21-06-2005, 09:24 AM
The Aussies have an excuse...

Apparently they have been doing a bit of late night drinking and chasing females.

Obviously they all had hangovers.... :D

FreezerGeezer
21-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Gillespie for man of the match, I say! ROFL!!

Mind you, I thought that Australia's fielding was excellent. For a long time I really thought they were going to keep us down, and the atmosphere was dull, even depressed. Until Solanki joined Peitersen at the crease! Man, it was a great game.

Temprite
24-06-2005, 11:08 AM
I dont know if anyone noticed but the Aussies won a game. :)

Deejey
24-06-2005, 12:51 PM
the real truth is they are just giving y'all a false impression so the bookies odds lengthen...then they gonna clean up when they lick ya rs and bring the ashes home

rbartlett
24-06-2005, 07:36 PM
the real truth is they are just giving y'all a false impression so the bookies odds lengthen...then they gonna clean up when they lick ya rs and bring the ashes home

is this your way of saying you lost against bangladesh because you're sh1t??

cheers

richard??

Abe
24-06-2005, 09:47 PM
On balance , dont mess with the Aussies, they command my respect and admiration for sure.

I think pride in their country, fine weather, motivates and inspires their sport ethic and mindset

Deejey
25-06-2005, 01:59 AM
To be quite honest and being an Aussie myself..I'm glad they got there rs whipped. They been thinking their so good and no one could beat them they have become too complacent. Their boozing & partying shows the level of their mindset. Well lets hope they have been bought down a peg or 2...serves em right

rbartlett
25-06-2005, 09:52 AM
on previous ashes tours AU have lost against county sides but stepped up to the plate when the tests begun -ie went home with the trophy

I wouldn't expect it to be any different this time..

cheers

richard