PDA

View Full Version : LG mini split quality

KurtS
24-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi,
I am getting an addition put on my home and I am planning on having a mini-split system installed. It is a 2 level with 500 sq. ft. each level, 8 ft. ceiling on bottom and 16 ft. vaulted ceiling on top level. Our general contractor also has an HVAC bussiness, and they propose installing a 2 ton 15 seer LG system for $4k. They are very adamant about using LG. I really want to have our general contractor do the install, our relationship has been great so far and I don't wan't that to change. I seem to find a lot of mixed opinions on LG (more bad than good), but most comments are a few years old. I'm looking for opinions. Has LG improved in the last few years?
Thanks

paul_h
24-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Yeah they probably have improved, especially their ducted systems.
I wouldn't touch a lg/samsung wall split though.

That said, your contractor wants to use LG, how long is the warranty, and are they going to be doing the warranty repair or palm you off to some subcontractor/service agent that isn't going to be helpful? I don't know how it works as far as warranty in NC.

KurtS
24-08-2010, 05:17 PM
They would handle warranty work. According to them all previous installs have had no problems.

back2space
25-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Standard 1 - 1 splits I think are ok... there multi splits are also built ok but the control strategy on them are terrible.

YOu lose a lot of capacity in heating on multisplit units if you have one unit that is at thermostat off.

The control strategy on multi split unit doesnt take into account that the indoor unit is at thermostat off and still sends a lot of refrigerant to units that are at thermostat off wheareas the compressor is ramped down as if only one unit is running but EEVs remain open further than 10% however when they are physically turned off they close down 10%.

This then means that air off on units that are calling for heat still rises when the others are physically turned off but when the others are still turned on at thermostat off your air off isnt that great due to eevs staying open too much.

nike123
25-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Buy Mitsubishi, Daikin, Fujitsu, Toshiba if you want trouble-free operation and great satisfaction.

back2space
25-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Buy Mitsubishi, Daikin, Fujitsu, Toshiba if you want trouble-free operation and great satisfaction.

Agreed :cool::)

ktm
25-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Of course they are goin to tell u that they have never had any problems. You get what u pay for in the quality of the components in the system. What's lgs efficency like compared with Daikin or Mitsubishi?

KurtS
25-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I haven't compared them to anything else. I told them I wanted a system that was able to qualify for the tax credit, at a minimum. They quoted me a price for a 15 seer unit.

lomb
25-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Do LG have pressure cut outs these days so when the gas is low it shuts off rather than the compressor blowing its top?

back2space
25-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Do LG have pressure cut outs these days so when the gas is low it shuts off rather than the compressor blowing its top?

my system only has high pressure cut out not low pressure cut out.

jimbo82
26-08-2010, 05:42 AM
The only systems I hear about at work with problems are LG's both ducted and mini splits. Get a fujitsu, panasonic, mitsubishi heavy industry or daikin and be very happy with the outcome.

ClimateControl
15-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Friedrich makes a good unit, and also Shinco.