PDA

View Full Version : Wall Mount-Minimum Height?

Slim R410a
23-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I've got a conservatory to quote where I'm quoting a 5kw floor unit and the customer asked if we could install a wall mount instead, problem is the wall height is only 1.6/1.7m before the window starts.
Would there be any issue in doing this apart from it would look abit odd and obv wall units are intended to be installed above head height?

sedgy
23-08-2010, 06:17 PM
hi slim, I read your thead , and I see the problem , just tell HER its going to be in HER way, and SHE would walk into it.
issues , no ,all a-c indoor units seem to have verticle + horazontal louvers
all the best with it , sedgy

Makeit go Right
23-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm quoting a 5kw floor unit and the customer asked if we could install a wall mount instead. Problem is the wall height is only 1.6/1.7m before the window starts. Would there be any issue in doing this

Well, some air distribution issues, which you should warn the lady about.

A floor unit can throw the supply air upward, whereas the wall-mount (the HiWall one) is arrange to throw horizontally and downward.

In summer the cool supply air would be wofting along the floor while the warm air collects higher up. Not so good. :confused:

In winter, the wall unit will want to discharge the hot supply air downward, at the floor, and will tend to short circuit a bit. I guess you could set the blades to horizontal and the hot air would mix and rise upward.

Slim R410a
24-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Ok, thanks for the replies. I really dont want to install a wall mount in that position due to air distribution problems as discussed.
The client has come back to me and asked if the floor mounted unit could be installed at 1.6m height?
Had a quick glace at install manual (Toshiba RAS-B18UFV) and drawing recommends 1m max from floor to top of indoor unit. Any ideas? :rolleyes:

jimbo82
24-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Cassette unit in ceiling?

Slim R410a
24-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Cassette unit in ceiling?

Its a conservatory mate, glazed pitched roof with blinds. :)

mad fridgie
24-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I have indirectly fitted 5000 tosh units about 200mm of the floor (to be used for heating) We got a dispensation from toshiba (enginners from Thailand and Japan came to check installs). For heating is far better than mounting high (better heat distribution and lower running cost, fundemental refrigeration principle) cooling stratification does occur (cool does sit on the floor) To make it easy for the client (some were not the greatest with technology) we disconnect the louver motor, add a blob of silicon to hold the louver parallel with the floor. Short cyling does not occur as long as you have a free air path

jimbo82
24-08-2010, 01:49 PM
hmm sorry we don't have them much in Oz, too damn hot!

Slim R410a
24-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Customer has come back again and now thinks we might have space inbetween his sofa (on order) and wall.
The Tosh indoor is 780mm wide, just looked and Daikin and Panasonic (are these the same or what??:confused:) are both 700mm wide so might have to with that.

paul_h
24-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Tell them to put a floor unit on the bloody floor, then quote real high and walk away?
Sounds like too much of an annoying customer/pita job.

Everyone wants a wall mount because they are the cheapest.
If you dare tell them they need a ceiling, floor, ducted, cassette, they aren't happy to pay so much more :(

back2space
25-08-2010, 02:49 AM
Ok, thanks for the replies. I really dont want to install a wall mount in that position due to air distribution problems as discussed.
The client has come back to me and asked if the floor mounted unit could be installed at 1.6m height?
Had a quick glace at install manual (Toshiba RAS-B18UFV) and drawing recommends 1m max from floor to top of indoor unit. Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Hi Slim

If the client wants a wall mount unit installed at low height what is the problem installing a floor mount unit at low height - the way its supposed to be mounted? Or did they want a wall mount unit mounting at this height also? I think the floor mount unit would look silly mounted at this height.

The problem with floor mount units is again the air distribution... if installed at floor they work great if they are installed higher than 1 meter the air flow in cooling would be fine but in heating the heat would not get down to floor level as the position of the louvres doesnt point directly down its more across the room.

Your best bet is just explaining the situation with air distribution to the customer on both styles of unit.

momo
25-08-2010, 04:02 AM
I have installed wall mounts in "glass shops" at a height just below the roof, instead of where there is (no) solid wall. Main problem is hiding pipes, supporting the unit and appearance from outside. Pipes: plastic duct to hide them; support for unit: get some box aluminium or sheet aluminium with foam inside which stiffens it - this can be done by a conservartory builder; looks: sheet aluminium behind the unit will hide the ugliness. Be warned: it will be a job to be done with patience and care !

back2space
25-08-2010, 04:51 AM
I have installed wall mounts in "glass shops" at a height just below the roof, instead of where there is (no) solid wall. Main problem is hiding pipes, supporting the unit and appearance from outside. Pipes: plastic duct to hide them; support for unit: get some box aluminium or sheet aluminium with foam inside which stiffens it - this can be done by a conservartory builder; looks: sheet aluminium behind the unit will hide the ugliness. Be warned: it will be a job to be done with patience and care !

Wall mounts will work well at this height though as they are designed to be high up.

I think wall mounts should be renamed "high wall units" some manufacturers refer to them as this.

Makeit go Right
26-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Customer has come back again and now thinks we might have space inbetween his sofa (on order) and wall.

Best let the sofa arrive and get positioned before you do much more on that one. Then you can see exactly what they have space-wise.

back2space
26-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Best let the sofa arrive and get positioned before you do much more on that one. Then you can see exactly what they have space-wise.

Placing a sofa in front of a floor mount will obstruct air flow in most cases mainly in heating as the air will be thrown at the back of the sofa.

momo
27-08-2010, 01:02 AM
lo wall mount behind settee; It will help to cool the customer's neck and head when they get the invoice and fall onto the settee in shock ;-)

back2space
27-08-2010, 03:30 AM
lo wall mount behind settee; It will help to cool the customer's neck and head when they get the invoice and fall onto the settee in shock ;-)

They are very expensive, prob because they make and sell less of them but they do perform much better than a high wall mount.

Slim R410a
27-08-2010, 08:54 AM
The 'lo wall mount' are these the ones with the louvres at the top? Didint think anything like that was available anymore?

Anyway, we are now (I hope) are going for a Daikin Flexi on the opposite dwarf wall and pipe round under the double doors to the outdoor unit.

back2space
27-08-2010, 09:05 AM
The 'lo wall mount' are these the ones with the louvres at the top? Didint think anything like that was available anymore?

Anyway, we are now (I hope) are going for a Daikin Flexi on the opposite dwarf wall and pipe round under the double doors to the outdoor unit.

Heres a few, the LG one at the top is a flexi unit can be mounted on the ceiling or the floor, thats what I have at home, the mitsi ones below are great as they blow hot air out the bottom flap in heating mode... warm your toes!

http://www.acreservices.co.uk/gallery/ac%20installations%20025.jpg

http://www.acreservices.co.uk/gallery/ac%20installations%20330.jpg

paul_h
27-08-2010, 10:48 AM

Yeah the main brands who have been in the industry for ~30 years still make them, like fujitsu, probably daikin an mits too.

Slim R410a
27-08-2010, 02:46 PM
What I meant was the ones that look like a wall mount upside down, not a floor or flexi?

paul_h
27-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Oh right, yeah haven't seen an inverted hi wall mount, just floor/ceiling/console/flex (whatever you want to call it), dedicated ceiling, nocria and regular hi wall mount
B2S meant floor/console/flexi mount when he said lo wall mount

Slim R410a
27-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Heres a few, the LG one at the top is a flexi unit can be mounted on the ceiling or the floor, thats what I have at home, the mitsi ones below are great as they blow hot air out the bottom flap in heating mode... warm your toes!

http://www.acreservices.co.uk/gallery/ac%20installations%20025.jpg

http://www.acreservices.co.uk/gallery/ac%20installations%20330.jpg

B2S, Why is there 2 sets of thrunking on the LG unit? Is it using each drain outlet or something?

monkey spanners
27-08-2010, 04:14 PM
What I meant was the ones that look like a wall mount upside down, not a floor or flexi?

Something like these

http://www.marstair.com/prod_do.php?prodid=9

http://www.marstair.com/prod_do.php?prodid=10

Have fitted a few of the impact range, a bit agricultural but a good piece of kit in the right enviroment. Only wall mount i know thats designed to take a pump and has a rather nifty level sensor that works on temperature so no float to stick or metal probe to get scale on.

Jon :)

back2space
27-08-2010, 11:02 PM
B2S, Why is there 2 sets of thrunking on the LG unit? Is it using each drain outlet or something?

Not sure the trunking looks awful... its not my unit... I got the images off of google images.