PDA

View Full Version : Getting an exciting job with the MSC

Belgian_Brewer
21-08-2010, 06:13 AM
so I'm in my 16th week of technical HVAC-R training at tidewater Tech, and I was recently talking to my uncle who is a chief engineer for the MSC, and he really turned me on to the idea of being a refrigeration engineer.

I get the general idea of it, long hard hours, handling thousands of pounds of refrigerant. Scrubbing the bilge and re-fitting sewer lines if I'm the most convenient guy to use, getting **** done because you're out to sea and there's no supply house, or help to call in.

also, there's the constant challenge of unknown situations, the opportunity to work with big machinery (which I enjoy) the prospect of going port to port, and of course months off of work at a time when you do come home.

more of a discussion openner than a question, I want to know if anyone here has been a refrigeration engineer on a boat and what your experience was like.

cool runings
21-08-2010, 10:27 PM
so I'm in my 16th week of technical HVAC-R training at tidewater Tech, and I was recently talking to my uncle who is a chief engineer for the MSC, and he really turned me on to the idea of being a refrigeration engineer.

I get the general idea of it, long hard hours, handling thousands of pounds of refrigerant. Scrubbing the bilge and re-fitting sewer lines if I'm the most convenient guy to use, getting **** done because you're out to sea and there's no supply house, or help to call in.

also, there's the constant challenge of unknown situations, the opportunity to work with big machinery (which I enjoy) the prospect of going port to port, and of course months off of work at a time when you do come home.

more of a discussion openner than a question, I want to know if anyone here has been a refrigeration engineer on a boat and what your experience was like.

Never done it my self but worked with two guys (at different times) who did years on merchant ships.

You would be an officer so you would have some status and both loved it.
I don't know if it suits a married lifestyle but it is or was a fantastic job and opportunity.

all the best

coolrunnings