PDA

View Full Version : Converting SbIII SR to all Electric

Jaywalker
19-08-2010, 10:45 PM
My Boss is wanting me to rebuild this sbIII into an all electric unit. The Trailer is used for storage only. I will be removing the engine and compressor. He wants me to install a hermectic single phase 230v compressor and an electic motor to run the fans. I figure that i will need at least a 4 ton compressor. I need some suggestions on compressor brands and capacity. Need the unit to be able to store frozen
foods or ice in ambient temps around 100 degrees. I just hate having to do this the unit worrks great running on diesel but he wants to save on fuel.

vehikool
20-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi the easyiest way would be to fit a commercial refrigeration unit. If you go to your commercial refrigeration supplier give him the size and temp requirments of your box they will supply a frezer unit to fit
hope this helps

Jaywalker
20-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Too easy Boss wants to use existing coils and fans. This is 48 ft wabash trailer and will need the airflow with the chut moving the air to the rear of the trailer. I will probably use a copeland compressor. Not sure what capacity compressor purchase. got to be 48000btu or better i would think.

tspgr
20-08-2010, 03:51 PM
you are going to do allot of thinks to work propely
1 at least 8hp compresor
2 cpr valve because tk cpr is on the comp.
3 el motor to give move to the fans how mach hp i dont know
4 then you must find solution for def because all part are made for 12 V DC
coil of 3way ,damper motor ........
If you put a komercial unit you will spent some more money but you will have a very good resolt and inportant very smale broblems ........

cadwaladr
20-08-2010, 06:22 PM
you will need a three phase compressor,or put a electric motor where the engine sits driving the tk compressor direct via a flex coupling.

bellg
20-08-2010, 09:17 PM
you will need a three phase compressor,or put a electric motor where the engine sits driving the tk compressor direct via a flex coupling.

I presume the current SB111 is a '30' ie no electric motor.
Why not leave the engine in place, fit a TK electric motor above it and fit a TK clutch between compressor and engine. You will need the contactors, overload relay and switches and then the drive belts to match. A lot less hassle than the route you are planning, I would think.

clivemtk
21-08-2010, 10:54 AM
is this unit a 30 or 50 why not put a sb3-50 the units are that cheap

Jaywalker
22-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Its a 30 not a 50. If it was a 50, i wouldn't have a problem. Turning it into a 50 might be an option.