PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator Pressure Control - R410a

JOScool
18-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Evap pressure control
Hello forum, this is my first post, so time will tell if I'ma able to navigate the process correctly.
I am trying to set up a 3 ton condensing (actually heat pump) unit as a test mule, to that I can evaluate air handler performance with respect to evaporating temperature. (To match AHRI published condenser data)
I plan to use an evaporator pressure regulator at the evap coil outlet to control evap temp, and a HGBV downstream to throttle capacity (if necessary)
Trouble is, I am running R410A and see no EPR's rated for this. I do see that Sporlan offers their ORI-12 with adjustment range of 75-150 PSIG, (19-53 deg F) which covers my requirement of 40-50 deg F, but will put me close to the edge of the adjustment envelop. Aside from this, is there any reason to avoid this approach? Remeber, this is a test mule in a laboratory setting, I don't care if I disable the heating operation, and I can take care to be sure I don't approach the max pressure rating of 450PSI (~125F sat)

Thanks for your thoughts,
JOScool
(Cool; it's not who I am, just what I do!)

Brian_UK
18-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Hi JOScool and welcome to the forum.

Have you thought about using electronicaly controlled valves?

Emerson do one which they recommend for many uses and gases, see here...

http://www.emersonclimate.com/Documents/FlowControls/pdf/eevc/brochures/Brochure%20-%202008FC-72.pdf

JOScool
19-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Thanks! That looks like a good approach. I'm inclined to go with Parker (Sporlan) over Emerson (Alco) but they both offer a suitable alternative.

JOS