PDA

View Full Version : working from ladders

jan behnke
12-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi just wondered if any one knows about this, some engineers from my company went on a safety course, and was told that new legislation was coming in that you are not allowed to work from a ladder only to use it for access.

chemi-cool
12-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Very dumb.

How do suppose to fix a cassette unit?
Or an outdoor unit hanged 2.5 meters above the ground?

Chemi :)

Mark
12-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi. :)

on most sites now you cannot use ladders,scaffold,cherrypicker etc without certification.

Thats if they allow you to use step ladders on site.

chemi-cool
12-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi Mark,

You will have to agree that there must be a limit to this stupidity.

Instead why not make a better standard for ladders, and let the people do their job.

You realy dont expect a poor tech starts to build a scafold under a ceiling unit in a middle of a restaurant for ten minuts!!

Next thing, every tech will need a Lorry to carry all the tools.

Abe
12-06-2005, 09:13 PM
I have been using a " scaffold" system for 2 years now.

Very safe, very practical. I couldnt put in a cassette without it.

Abe
12-06-2005, 09:14 PM
But I agree with Chemi...............scaffold is only for new installs............not breakdowns!!!

On breakdowns, yes , you need a ladder

Mark
13-06-2005, 06:08 PM
This of course would all be covered in the risk assesment of "the job" LOL :)

frank
13-06-2005, 06:48 PM
On the recent training course for PASMA (Portable Access Scaffold Manufacturers Association) - to get my ticket so that, after 30 odd years, I can now erect a zip up tower safely :D - the instructer was talking about safety training for ladders. Anyone and everyone that went on their ladder safety course was taught that you must at all times have 3 points of contact when on a ladder. That means - either 2 feet and one hand or two hands and one foot etc. - now, how are you supposed to work off one ?

From the training, it would appear that ladders are for access only, so the rumours about having to use scaffold if you are carrying out any work seem to be true.

Today, while carrying out a compressor change, I've used my ladder for climbing up to the scaffold platform (on the inside of the tower of course,) wearing my overalls, gloves, hard hat, dust mask, goggles, Hi Viz vest, safety harness (which you can't attach to the tower) safety boots, and all, all without taking my hand off of anything in case I fall, I've managed to charge the customer for a bit of work :p

Won't be long before I spend all day just complying with legislation never mind getting any work done :)

chemi-cool
13-06-2005, 07:02 PM
wearing my overalls, gloves, hard hat, dust mask, goggles, Hi Viz vest, safety harness (which you can't attach to the tower) safety boots, and all,

Hi Frank

Is this your new pyjamas? :D

It will sure save time in the morning!

frank
13-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Hi Frank

Is this your new pyjamas?
Hi Chemi :)

Yeah - new pyjamas - but the missus makes me take the boots off before I get in bed :D

chemi-cool
13-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey,
As long as you keep the safty harness on, its OK :D