PDA

View Full Version : Shinco 18000 BTU mini split shipping damage

jskadberg
11-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I purchased a Shinco 18000 BTU mini split Energy Star rated from Kingersons. I did the physical install myself and hired a technician to check it out, evacuate the indoor unit and line set and release ***** and test. He pulled a vacuum and it held. He released the ***** and pressure held according to him. He checked connections with solution and found no leaks. We turned on unit and indoor unit had dead display. We called tech support, Mike at GT-World and he first told me I used too heavy of wires (12 guage instead of 14) Didn't give me a warm fuzzy. Then told me I wired it wrong. I checked and double checked my wiring even disconnecting each wire and doing a continuity check and it checked out. Meanwhile GT-World wanted my serial number but couldn't tell me were it was so I removed cover of indoor unit looking for it. The power transformer for the circuit board was laying loose. It had broken plastic mount and a tie wrap. I photographed and send email to GT-World tech support. The condensate tray was also broke loose from one end. They said no boards were available and they would get them in next shipment in a few days. 10 days later no board. I had to threaten to pack it up and return it for a refund and suddenly they found a new board. I asked to have it shipped expedited and they said ok. They sent it UPS ground. Finally received it and installed it. Indoor unit came to life and compressor ran but no cooling. I called out my tech and he checked and all ***** was gone. He added 175psi R410A and it leaked down about 5psi every 15 minutes. We checked and re-checked all the fittings but no leak apparent. We listened to inside of both indoor and outdoor unit and could find no leaks. My technician sort of gave up and said it's a defective unit problem. The next day pressure was zero. I've called GT-World and they are jacking me around on getting it exchanged. I'm not that far from Gardena and I understand they have a office there. At this point I would gladly drive it up to there for a exchange. Anyone know the address and contact numbers there. You can email me direct

BTW you can get manuals and error code info at GT-World if you register there.

jskadberg@mac.com

Thanks, John

Brian_UK
11-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Feel better now that you have got that off of your chest John? :)

Sounds like you techie is a waste of space if he cannot find a leak in that system.

Do you have an Office of Fair Trading or similar over there?

monkey spanners
11-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi John,

If you bought the unit from Kingersons then surely you should be claiming a warranty replacement from them and not GT-World?

Before claiming a warranty on your unit though you need to find where the leak is, no good claiming if it turns out to be in your line set!
Get your tech back or find another if he is unwilling or unable to find the leak. Do not expect this to be free, as basicaly you have to warranty the labour on your unit if you supplied it.
R410A is NOT for leak finding, a competant tech would use nitrogen. Its illeagal over here to use refrigerants for leak checking, don't know about the USA.

Jon :)

jskadberg
12-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Kingersons offers a 15 day replacement warranty and then it goes to GT-World. This isn't really a warranty issue since it was defective out of the box. who knows how much additional damage was done when it was dropped. Line set came with unit.

windzer
14-08-2010, 12:15 AM
did the box show dameg ,air works better than r410a for checking leeks thats funny its probly in the evap on one of the ends sence it was droped
you should always check every thing over and call gt and when you singe for it wright dameged on the bill if the box looks like it then it is inside.

windzer
14-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Please also note that all orders within the United States are fully insured free of charge! Please make sure to verify and make sure there are no damaged to your unit once it arrives. In a rare case where your unit has been damaged, please make sure you mark it on the signed Bill of lading and to call us within 24 hours.

Please call us toll free by dialing 1-800-242-4935 ext 25 for international inquiries

windzer
19-08-2010, 03:33 AM
mine was dented on top of condenser and the condencer fan sounds like the berngs are dry

james10
19-08-2010, 09:19 PM

Sounds like you techie is a waste of space if he cannot find a leak in that system.

Well said;)

ClimateControl
17-09-2010, 09:27 PM

Agreed, 99% of the time if your tech says "its a defective unit" Then he did something wrong, they would much rather admit that its bad from the factory, than admit they did something wrong- See it all the time......That way they want you to still pay them, but then make the company you bought it from pay the price..........BE CAREFUL

ClimateControl
17-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Please also note that all orders within the United States are fully insured free of charge! Please make sure to verify and make sure there are no damaged to your unit once it arrives. In a rare case where your unit has been damaged, please make sure you mark it on the signed Bill of lading and to call us within 24 hours.

Please call us toll free by dialing 1-800-242-4935 ext 25 for international inquiries

Yea, and if you want the best price on Shinco Mini Splits, You need to visit: Invincible-Electronics.com

Coolbrezza
05-10-2010, 04:42 AM
I purchased a Shinco 18000 BTU mini split Energy Star rated from Kingersons. I did the physical install myself and hired a technician to check it out, evacuate the indoor unit and line set and release ***** and test. He pulled a vacuum and it held. He released the ***** and pressure held according to him. He checked connections with solution and found no leaks. We turned on unit and indoor unit had dead display. We called tech support, Mike at GT-World and he first told me I used too heavy of wires (12 guage instead of 14) Didn't give me a warm fuzzy. Then told me I wired it wrong. I checked and double checked my wiring even disconnecting each wire and doing a continuity check and it checked out. Meanwhile GT-World wanted my serial number but couldn't tell me were it was so I removed cover of indoor unit looking for it. The power transformer for the circuit board was laying loose. It had broken plastic mount and a tie wrap. I photographed and send email to GT-World tech support. The condensate tray was also broke loose from one end. They said no boards were available and they would get them in next shipment in a few days. 10 days later no board. I had to threaten to pack it up and return it for a refund and suddenly they found a new board. I asked to have it shipped expedited and they said ok. They sent it UPS ground. Finally received it and installed it. Indoor unit came to life and compressor ran but no cooling. I called out my tech and he checked and all ***** was gone. He added 175psi R410A and it leaked down about 5psi every 15 minutes. We checked and re-checked all the fittings but no leak apparent. We listened to inside of both indoor and outdoor unit and could find no leaks. My technician sort of gave up and said it's a defective unit problem. The next day pressure was zero. I've called GT-World and they are jacking me around on getting it exchanged. I'm not that far from Gardena and I understand they have a office there. At this point I would gladly drive it up to there for a exchange. Anyone know the address and contact numbers there. You can email me direct

jskadberg@mac.com

Thanks, John
Folks try to save a few Bucks by installing these units themselves and end up paying more to a tech to find out where they went wrong in the first place.
My advise is; hire a HVAC technician to do the job for you. It pays off, believe me....

Coolbrezza
05-10-2010, 04:52 AM

jskadberg@mac.com

Thanks, John
I 100% agree with this fellow;
Agreed, 99% of the time if your tech says "its a defective unit" Then he did something wrong, they would much rather admit that its bad from the factory, than admit they did something wrong- See it all the time......That way they want you to still pay them, but then make the company you bought it from pay the price..........BE CAREFUL

Mudskipper
18-05-2011, 06:48 PM
First
R410 is the refrigerant circulate inside the system. If the tech release the R410 into the system without vacuuming the overall system, then you may have a chance of leaking refrigerant.

Second
After you release the refrigerant into the system, it will be too late to test the leaking. If there is no leak, you are lucky, if there is any leak, no matter how little it is, you will end up with no refrigerant sooner or later.

My suggestion is: have a professional HVAC technician work on the installation. Supervise him doing everything, and test the overall unit before you paying him the installation fee.