PDA

View Full Version : homers

Bar x cowboy
11-08-2010, 09:24 PM
ever been stiffed by a cheap customer while doing a little side job? I had a guy who (unbeknown to me) had wired his condenser fan motor up incorrectly after removing it to take to a shop to ask if it was ok. It would run, then overheat and cut out. I offered to get him a new motor at cost, but he declined as he obviously thought he could get it cheaper from the supply house than i could. I found out he paid a fortune more than i would have! I fitted it for him, serviced hi a/c unit and said how about 55 dollars, he came back with "how about 50"? I never answered his phone calls ever again.

monkey spanners
11-08-2010, 09:56 PM
We fitted a replacement air con unit in a conservatory, customer supplied unit all we did was labour and a little pipe etc.
He then refused to pay until we took his old unit away which was nothing to do us in the first place :rolleyes:

nike123
11-08-2010, 09:59 PM
That is your fault. Why did you asked him "how about 55$"?
You should told him " It is 55$".

nike123
11-08-2010, 10:04 PM
We fitted a replacement air con unit in a conservatory, customer supplied unit all we did was labour and a little pipe etc.
He then refused to pay until we took his old unit away which was nothing to do us in the first place :rolleyes:
I would took his old unit, than took money and than few meters away unload his old unit with remark that my van is now overloaded and I cannot go on traffic overloaded because i may pay fine for that and if he is willing to pay for compensation I will than take a risk.

mad fridgie
11-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I was about 21, just started my first business, keen for any work and new clients, had quote 500quid for supply and install of plastic curtain (cost 400, not much profit) did the job, asked for the money, the guy came out with 400, and said take it or leave it. F**K it I thought, Went to my van, got out my biggest crow bar, and ripped of the wall. But back in my van. (if is unit was at low level, i would of Pi**ed in his suction) I got a load of work because of this, because he had given all the local butchers a real bad name by his unfair attitude, I was the first to stand up to him. Business has to be "win win"

monkey spanners
11-08-2010, 10:17 PM
I would took his old unit, than took money and than few meters away unload his old unit with remark that my van is now overloaded and I cannot go on traffic overloaded because i may pay fine for that.

This was three or four years ago, I sugggested we remove the redundant unit through the (unopened) windows of his conservatory, but my business partner is more diplomatic :)

Found out last week the old guy has recently passed away, his wife phoned up not knowing how turn the unit on, makes money worries a bit trivial really, life.

Jon

mikeref
12-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Won't do warranty work for certain companies anymore. Took on a job to replace components they said were faulty on their product. Five trips and ages on the phone later, this running around for them(200 kms) + all their oh.. must be this/ try that advice, they decided to replace the item. Sent them the bill...two months later the only paid 1/2. They had the nerve to call me some months later for another job! Naah!

FEISTY
14-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I had a referred customer who bought his 1st bar. Figured he drank in so many that he was educated enough to run his own. Needed quite a lot of work that the previous owner left as is. We agreed on a price, which was lower than rate but he knew someone who knew someone. You get the idea. After all is done he decides to " make payments as he wanted to " and reduce the price agreed since anyone could have done the same work with little knowledge. Well...traced his license and waited until 60 days before his liquor renewal was due. Filed a lien on paper only..not in court..and let him know. If he's got a lien, he doesn't have a license. Well guess what I got in the mail ???? Full payment and in a certified bank check. I live by " What goes around...comes around " All's fair.

joe magee
17-08-2010, 06:37 AM
I worked for a guy many years ago. He told me we have a night job. It was a deli that we installed a couple of condensing units. I guess he had not paid his bill. We cut the lines and removed our units. For good measure my boss cut the lines on some of his other units. The next morning he got a call from the customer complaining that none of his refrigeration equipment worked. We repaired the systems and were paid cash.

FEISTY
18-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Although I can relate to the violated feeling of doing the job and getting stiffed by a low life customer, I also live and work by the rule of " two wrongs don't make a right ". There are few laws that can be quickly used to recoup our losses but the same laws protect the customer. Once equipment is attached, fastened, bolted, welded, etc. to customer's property, it is ILLEGAL to remove it without due process. File a lien, lock up their check book so liquor and meat suppliers don't get paid, hold up their liquor license renewal...whatever. I can tell you more horror stories than time allows of contractors who lost their right to work, lost their reputation and long time customers , etc. over getting what they feel is due them. Cameras now find you no matter where or when you " reclaim what's yours ". All we can do is spend a little more time reading the situation before doing the work. The best teacher is experience. Getting burned once or twice doesn't make you a bad businessman. It means you're human. Finally...I think back to different times. If a guy cut you off in traffic, you flashed him the " bird " and a few strong words. Now , if you are smart, you smile and drive on to live out the rest of the day. It happened to me. I got HOT and ripped into a bad driver ". The next light we met and he calmly pointed a 9mm auto at me and said " Now who's the a..hole ? " Guess he told me. Life is too short. Live and work smart. And remember...what goes around, comes around. Sorry to be long-winded but I think it may help to take a breath. Have a better tomorrow.