PDA

View Full Version : Abuse of the system

B G Scott
11-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I hope the Mods sort out this abuse of the site by this blatant bombardment of posts with nothing but advertisement intent.
This just hides any well intentioned request for help from members or assistance from answering posts.:mad:

Crash Pilot
11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree. If the mods don't sort out this cr#p I'm done using this site.

Brian_UK
11-08-2010, 11:05 PM
I hope the Mods sort out this abuse of the site by this blatant bombardment of posts with nothing but advertisement intent.
This just hides any well intentioned request for help from members or assistance from answering posts.:mad:
Care to give me an idea of which numb nut has annoyed you or are us Mods supposed to be clairvoyant as well.

By the way the use of bold text is getting a little tiring now.

Brian_UK
11-08-2010, 11:06 PM
I agree. If the mods don't sort out this cr#p I'm done using this site.
- - OK, bye. - -

Crash Pilot
12-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Good attitude from a Mod. To think the company I work for was going to advertise on this site. Also the company I work for being one of the top A/C manufactures in the world.
Could of offered alot of Technical advise to this site as that is my background.

Yep so good bye

B G Scott
12-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Care to give me an idea of which numb nut has annoyed you or are us Mods supposed to be clairvoyant as well.

By the way the use of bold text is getting a little tiring now.
If you had been on line yesterday morning you would not have needed to be clairvoyant.
27 posts all the same just advertising his company, some under the heading "Refrigeration Contractor" and some with his web site,
Scroll through to yesterday and you will see what I mean.

paul_h
12-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Spambots are what they are talking about.
The sign up procedure needs better security to stop them signing up and posting.
EG some sort of advanced 'captcha'
edit: the default normal 'captcha' has been outsmarted by bots these days.

Brian_UK
12-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Good attitude from a Mod. To think the company I work for was going to advertise on this site. Also the company I work for being one of the top A/C manufactures in the world.
Could of offered alot of Technical advise to this site as that is my background.

Yep so good byeConsidering the attitude within your first comment did you expect a better reply? None of us is perfect and occasionally I feel a bit peeved when I see demands for instant action from the group of volunteers who act as moderators on this forum over something that has only just happened.

We live and work in different time zones around the world and are not glued to this particular computer screen waiting to pounce on every bad post as soon as it arrives.

If you had been on line yesterday morning you would not have needed to be clairvoyant.
27 posts all the same just advertising his company, some under the heading "Refrigeration Contractor" and some with his web site,
Scroll through to yesterday and you will see what I mean.Unfortunately no I wasn't on line in the morning as I don't normally have time at that time of day.

I note that you did not 'report' any of these posts which would have helped bring it to the attention of the Moderators and perhaps have brought a quicker response to the problem.

Also the moderators do not have complete access to all of the forum sections, only certain ones. I, for example, could only delete a few of them and have to wait for others to clear the rest.

Spambots are what they are talking about.
The sign up procedure needs better security to stop them signing up and posting.
EG some sort of advanced 'captcha'
edit: the default normal 'captcha' has been outsmarted by bots these days.
Hear what you are saying Paul but unfortunately this particular pest joined and posted as any normal member would do.

It was only later that he did a cut'n'paste across the board.

[My rant over, sorry guys]

lawrence1
12-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Come on people,
I think we should give the Mods a pat on the back for doing this,not critising them because some idiot wants to flog his gear for free,,,,surely we can ignore these idiots who want free air time and look at the good that this forum produces.
Thanks Brian keep it up.

Grizzly
13-08-2010, 07:03 AM
As you may say Lawrence.
"Good on Ya".

B G Scott and Crashpilot both have good points.
Which I am sure most of us agree with at some point or other?
But even the moderators have to exercise caution.
In one instance (Historically) I was actually thanked by a moderator.
(off forum of course)
For chastising a poster for what we may call "nepotism"!
They to get frustrated but unlike most have to be sure of their reaction.

So crash pilot your point has been made and your input I am sure will be missed!
But this forum is bigger than any of us.
So don't walk away, say what you want.
And be man enough to take it back where justified!
Because WE ALL are under the scrutiny of the Moderators.

Keep up the good work guys!
Grizzly

Brian_UK
13-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the support, it is appreciated.
Brian

djbe
14-08-2010, 12:53 AM

Must admit I have seen it but not that much.

But I do notice a lot of deleted posts by the moderators for this very reason so I think they are doing a great job.

Remember the mods are doing this on a voluntary basis so they deserve a bit of respect for spending the time to keep everyone (including us, and me:o) in line.

CHIEF DELPAC
14-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Brian_UK Most of us realize that the MODS do a good job policing the site We also know that this spam and the other scams are not unique to this site. Rather they seem to be a game that some people get thier jollies out of. Meanwhile causing the rest of us time, expense and general annoyance. I am a bit in the dark as to how to go about reporting these nuisance sites. So if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it thanks. C.D.

Brian_UK
14-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Brian_UK Most of us realize that the MODS do a good job policing the site We also know that this spam and the other scams are not unique to this site. Rather they seem to be a game that some people get thier jollies out of. Meanwhile causing the rest of us time, expense and general annoyance. I am a bit in the dark as to how to go about reporting these nuisance sites. So if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it thanks. C.D.
Hi CD,

Simply click on the red triangle at the top right of any offending post and you will get a box to fill in with your comment.

That report goes straight to the moderator section and can then be actioned.

CHIEF DELPAC
16-08-2010, 02:50 PM
It is simple, Thanks Brian C.D.