PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Valve Tags

Dacosta
05-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I am looking at installing valve tags on 2 existing system at the same location. I thought it would be a good idea to use two different colors to help differentiate what valve belongs to each system.

Is there a IIAR bulletin or ASHRAE guide on what are the acceptable colors for valve tags?

Thanks

Dan Acosta

R717Kid
05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Dan,

I'm not aware of any IIAR or ASHRAE standards that apply to coloring of the valve tags. I'll look deeper into that though. However, what works for me is to use a stainless steel round tag and engrave the valve number. Painted on numbers tend to fade or erode especially on roofs. In addition using a phenolic tag for valve position during normal state is handy especially when training. Red for normally closed, green for normally open, and yellow for flow adjusting such as a hand expansion/metering valve.

My personal preference is to color code the refrigerant piping (paint on steel and colored pvc jacketing on insulated lines). That is, if the budget allows.

McFranklin
06-08-2010, 06:07 AM
A yellow background with black letters what most of the suppliers sell as a standard ammonia tag.
I have never seen two styles used as you describe. I would recommend using your pipe markers to distinguish the different systems.