PDA

View Full Version : Low oil pressure alarm - very intermittent

Grover-1
04-08-2010, 05:50 AM
I have a Carrier Ultima 53 with about 8,000 hours on it. It runs and cools fine except once or twice a week it will set an alarm. The alarm is for low oil pressure. Oil level is fine and recently changed. Bad sensor? Any other ideas? Seems it would either have low oil pressure or not - not just once or twice a week. Thanks!!

bill1983
04-08-2010, 08:51 PM
what is the average oil pressure? does it dip after defrost or on pump down. does it only get loaded once per week. is there any commonality to the tripping time?

Tesla
05-08-2010, 10:38 AM
You could be running at too lower loads for too long or slightly SOG. Check for oil logging and SH.

Old cooler
05-08-2010, 02:00 PM
A possibilty is refrigerant migrating into the oil when the compressor is idle.?
On start up the oil could possible foam?

Steve

Sandro Baptista
05-08-2010, 02:17 PM
A possibilty is refrigerant migrating into the oil when the compressor is idle.?
On start up the oil could possible foam?

Steve

I also agree with Old cooler. Many could be the reasons for that happen.

Check if your cranckcase heater is operating during the idle.
Also see if the compressor don't start immediatly with 100% of capacity. Start at minimum capacity for a while.

chemi-cool
05-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Check the oil pressure with your gauges to be sure of the pressure.

Check the oil filter as well, if the unit wasn't cleaned well at the factory, it could well be the reason.

littleyapper
09-08-2010, 09:47 PM
because it a problem only once or twice a week .... i would look at the time of the alarm v's load.... flood back etc etc ...have u an oil seperator on it???(not familiar with that unit)