PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Filter drier with Aluminum Condenser

amitsaxena
02-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Dear All,

Please let me know

What all issues i can expect if i use Aluminium Filter drier with Aluminum Condenser in spite of Copper for my Fin and tube type condensers and filter driers.
The Application is Outdoor and worst possible climate conditions 50°C, 75% RH. Refrigerant is R-134a or R-290.
Has somebudy tried it?
Any link for literature published on the same topic?

Thanks
Amit Saxena

NoNickName
02-08-2010, 04:05 PM
1) Filter driers are always made up with aluminum oxides, because they are known to be reacting quickly with water molecules. As for the condenser, fins are for the most part made up of aluminum, unless specifically asked and bought with copper fins.
I don't see anything special here.

2) Can't be. No place on earth with those conditions combined. Despite, provided the selection of components is done properly, I don't see any reason for it to not work. R134a is more suitable than R290.
But what is it? A chiller, an air conditioner, else?

3) Yes, all the time, even with CO2 for military tent conditioning in the Iraqi desert, in transcritical cycle.

4) No, but academic researchers publish new work every day. I would suggest to have a look on the International Journal of Refrigeration (Elsevier publisher).

lowcool
03-08-2010, 03:42 AM
2) Can't be. No place on earth with those conditions combined. Despite, provided the selection of components is done properly, I don't see any reason for it to not work. R134a is more suitable than R290.
But what is it? A chiller, an air conditioner, else?

i reckon the kimberley region would qualify for those conditions :D

D.D.KORANNE
03-08-2010, 05:29 AM
1) Aluminum , you mean the shell of dryer ? If yes, the shell MAY need a special treatment to withstand these conditions ,50 DEG C & 70% RH .
2) Another area of concern will be condensing temperature since ambient 50 deg C. You will need a compressor which can work in the envelop i.e. condensing & evaporating temp . R-134a is good for air-cooled cond with a condensing temp of 70 deg c. Hence condenser will have to be suitably designed .

amitsaxena
03-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Dear All,

Thanks for ur replies,

My major conecrn is to have Aluminium pipe (Tube) / not the Al fins in condenser design as i heard that there is a huge possibility of Galvanic corrosion after a period of time.
Also the leakage problem are more severe than that of Copper.
Please share your views on the same.
Thanks
Amit Saxena

NoNickName
03-08-2010, 06:57 AM
The corrosion resistance (http://corrosion-doctors.org/MatSelect/CorrResistance.htm) of aluminum depends upon this protective oxide film. which is stable in aqueous media when the pH (http://corrosion-doctors.org/Cooling-Water-Towers/ph.htm) is between about 4.0 and 8.5. The oxide film is naturally self-renewing and accidental abrasion or other mechanical damage of the surface film is rapidly repaired. The conditions that promote corrosion of aluminum and its alloys, therefore, must be those that continuously abrade the film mechanically or promote conditions that locally degrade the protective oxide film and minimize the availability of oxygen to rebuild it.

http://corrosion-doctors.org/MatSelect/corralumin.htm

Rich_J
05-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Dear All,

Thanks for ur replies,

My major conecrn is to have Aluminium pipe (Tube) / not the Al fins in condenser design as i heard that there is a huge possibility of Galvanic corrosion after a period of time.
Also the leakage problem are more severe than that of Copper.
Please share your views on the same.
Thanks
Amit Saxena

Lift the bonnet on your car and have a look at the A/C. Aluminium condensers, aluminium pipes, aluminium or copper evaporators. There's no real issue unless you're going into a marine or highly corrosive rail environment.