PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed!

Tim_Uk_Trainee
26-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Hi,

I'm living in Grimsby, Lincolnshire at the mo, and having almost finished a C&G Technical Cert Lv.2, I'm looking for work as a trainee/apprentice.

However, I've applied to pretty much every company in the area and had no luck as they're all looking for experience.
Obviously I've done practical studies on single, three phase units, air con installations, etc. and I have a C&G Refrigerant Handling qualification, yet this doesn't seem to help, at all.

How are people s'posed to get started in the industry? I've even asked about work experience with no pay, and still no interest.

I was thinking of some casual work over the summer, and then starting a HNC in refrigeration, but once I've finished that I think I'd probably run into the same problems...

Any advice on how to get around this/started in the industry would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Tim

frank
26-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Tim

Sorry to hear about your problems, it's a pity you are not closer to Nottingham. We take students from Basford Hall college every year for work experience - it's one way of seeing how good they work without having to pay them :D

We did offer one guy a full time job once after he qualified with his NVQ2. I even sent him back to college (and paid) for his level 3 NVQ but after about 18months he thought he knew it all and wanted mega bucks so we parted company.

The minimum entry qualifications for HNC are NVQ level 3. The HNC course steers you towards the design side of the trade - and it sounds like you need some hands on experience.

Best of luck with getting a job.

Morph
26-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi Tim

Sorry to hear about your problems, it's a pity you are not closer to Nottingham. We take students from Basford Hall college every year for work experience - it's one way of seeing how good they work without having to pay them :D

Hi Frank, I'm currently studying at Basford Hall but we have not been told about this!!!!!

What is the name of your company and do you still have vacancies???

Thanks Morph :)

frank
26-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi Morph

Mel usually gives me a ring

Tim_Uk_Trainee
05-06-2005, 11:01 PM
hey,

...that the best you can do? :confused:

any advice or info on how you got started, or the best next step i could take would be appreciated.

ideally, i'd wanna do an NVQ but can't, because i'd need a placement. i s'pose maybe a course on electrics and another on engineering, while i get my driving license?