PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for portable air conn please

nowwhat
01-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi all,

my apologies if this question has already been answered but was unable to find it.

I have a wa12000r portable air con unit. It was working fine until a couple of days ago when i tried to switch it off. It would not switch off and the compressor carried on running until I unplugged it. If i plugged it back in again straight away, the compressor would run straight away, without even pressing the on button.

If it was left off for several hours and then plugged in and acted as normal, ie, nothing until i pressed the on button and then the fan came on and about 3 mins later the compressor. All fine.

However, even when the set temperature was reached, the compressor did not switch, even when i altered the temperature to 32 C ( the room was about 18c). Again switching the off switch off only turned the fan off but not the compressor.

I have made sure that the water has been emptied and that the radiator grills have been cleared off any dust etc.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

monkey spanners
01-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Sounds like a relay or thermostat contacts have become welded together. needs looking at by someone familiar with the operation of air con or someone who is good with control systems.

nowwhat
01-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Thank you for your response but if the contacts had become welded together, wouldn't the compressor run all the time? Thanks

monkey spanners
02-08-2010, 11:48 AM
It would not switch off and the compressor carried on running until I unplugged it. If i plugged it back in again straight away, the compressor would run straight away, without even pressing the on button.

Sticky relay? whatever it is it seems to bypass the 3 minute anti cycle timer.

If it was left off for several hours and then plugged in and acted as normal, ie, nothing until i pressed the on button and then the fan came on and about 3 mins later the compressor. All fine.

However, even when the set temperature was reached, the compressor did not switch, even when i altered the temperature to 32 C ( the room was about 18c). Again switching the off switch off only turned the fan off but not the compressor.

Sticky thermostat? whatever it is it seems to bypass temperature termination.

Thank you for your response but if the contacts had become welded together, wouldn't the compressor run all the time? Thanks

Maybe the control circuit is fubared, test relays and stats first to eliminate them, then most likely it needs new control circuit.

nowwhat
02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Thank you, i shall try and check the thermostat and realy out.

back2space
05-08-2010, 06:57 PM
PCB fault I think!

nowwhat
06-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for your inputs, I shall have a play with it this weekend.

Mike-Wadham
07-08-2010, 03:17 PM
sounds like the pcb is damaged, can you isolate the components and test internally?