PDA

View Full Version : advice needed

jason1995
29-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi I wondered if anyone could offer their opinions on my situation. My dad has an established domestic refrigeration repair business which he has run on his own for over 25 years. He has recently passed away and I am thinking of carrying on the business. He did start to teach me but got too ill to continue. I am wondering how easy it will be to pick up the techinical side? I have worked with vehicle air conditioning and am technically minded. I am researching F gas courses and think this will be a good place to start? it seems a mad opportunity to let go -the phone is still ringing daily and he hasn't worked or advertised for over 2 years. he was the only engineer in the area so there is no real competition. I also wondered about the decline in repairs as the cost of replacing such items is getting ever cheaper? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Tayters
29-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi Jason, sorry to hear about your dad.

I worked as an auto-electrician before moving into refrigeration at the ripe age of 31.
If found the transistion manageable but put in a lot of study in my own time to speed myself along. Still consider I've a long way to go but as I found out on cars, once you have a good grasp of the principles then you can pick new concepts up quicker as time goes by.
I would advise to get trained at college and work with someone who knows what they are doing. Trying to run a business at the same time could require some assistance I feel especially as it's all new to you.
Not sure about domestics but there is still a market for commercial catering equipment.

With dedication I'm sure you will get there.

All the best,

Andy.

coolstuf
29-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Hi Jason,

Sorry for your loss.
Not so sure about domestics, but there is always work for good fridge engineers. I think F-gas is a good start. You can do your C&G Tech cert 2 and 3 in A/C and refrigeration part time at some private colleges. Google it.

Don't really know the domestic market, but I am sure if you are good and put your mind to it, you can make a good living, why not do washing machines etc also.

Good luck