PDA

View Full Version : Question about humiditrol

chukk
28-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I have a problem of condensation in a kitchen of a restaurant. When I open the freezer humid air of the kitchen enter the freezer and condensation is form in there.

Should I adjust my RH to 45% or 50%?

My Humiditrol setup is: ecto 4.24: 7
ecto 4.25: 60% RH

Rooftop: Lennox LGH with Humiditrol

Thanx!

Brian_UK
28-07-2010, 11:11 PM
I would have thought that a setting of 40% woould be fine.

There surely is enough moisture naturally in the air of the kitchen not to need any additions.

Magoo
29-07-2010, 06:03 AM
The action of cooling in a chiller [ above freezing.] and low temp freezers [ cold storage freezers,] effectively increase the RH in the controlled space, in that the sensible heat is removed and some latent heat. Or called Sensible heat ratio of evaporator coil.
Despite what everyone thinks, low temp freezers actually have an effective high RH.
So if kitchen air , which will be saturated with moisture enters the freezer/ chiller / what ever. The RH will be effected.
So to reduce moisture migration into chiller/ or freezer from kitchen area replace the air / and moisture in the kitchen by ventilation and lots of air changes. This will remove a lot of moisture potential that impacts on coil performance.
All the star spangled controls these days go into alarm and force defrost coils for no reason, so set the RH controller high.

PS. 45> 50 % RH is like being in death valley or in the middle of an Austrlian desert, eyes dry up, difficult to breath, nut cracking dry in essence.

chukk
29-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Thank you for the answers.

What I meant by freezer is a place that we store food for preservation. When i open the door of a commercial freezer, humid air of the kitchen create condensation and ice is forme in there.

My dehumification is set at 60% RH. Should I lower to 50% or less to solve the problem?

I thought that the comfort zone of RH is between 35 and 50%. I got this from ASHREA.