PDA

View Full Version : Cellar Cooling advise

bob007
27-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi all, im after some impartial advise regarding a cellar cooling system.
The current unit is a Searle TG type of evap but was running R 12 and a Danfoss Compressor sc18b with a small reciever and condenser, pipe run about 6 meters and the cellar is 6 cubic meters (no room to swing a cat). Now the unit failed about 18months ago was blowing the fuse in the plug(units power is via plug and socket in cellar with a inline fused spur, sparky went out and disconected power cable!! and told him to ring a refrigeration company.
Bloke has had 2 companys out and has been told comp has blown and it needs a new system as it contains R12 both have quoted over 2800 quid its a small social club with little funds.

I had a look today at the system and the compressor is shot so im thinking what would the best solution be to get it running if they cant afford a new system.

Im thing of replacing the compressor with a 134a type but what would the equivalent type be??
Thought of using 407 but would have added cost of new TEV.
If i replace compressor, dryer,and give the system a good flush and us a durnout dryer would it be worth it or are the 2 company right in going for the replacment system??
Im not a robin hood but times are hard and money is very tight for the club but it is used by the community and i would like to help them out..

Any advise please...:)

james10
27-07-2010, 07:26 PM
A replacement system would be the best option which would probably pay for it self over time, as you say the club is used by the comunity can't they get the comunity to help them out with a few fund raisers etc sure they'll help out when they find out the beer will be warm this summer maybe ask some local fridges to help out for a few pints where abouts in england are you i'd certainly give few hours of my time to a good cause

monkey spanners
27-07-2010, 08:07 PM
You may still be able to get an R12 compressor, if not get an R134a equivalent.
Replace the R12 with a suitable drop in such as R437A. Simples.

bob007
27-07-2010, 08:32 PM
A replacement system would be the best option which would probably pay for it self over time, as you say the club is used by the comunity can't they get the comunity to help them out with a few fund raisers etc sure they'll help out when they find out the beer will be warm this summer maybe ask some local fridges to help out for a few pints where abouts in england are you i'd certainly give few hours of my time to a good cause

Thanks mate might be a bit far for you Northamptonshire, i could sort the comp out in a few hours but was not sure it was the best option..

bob007
27-07-2010, 08:37 PM
You may still be able to get an R12 compressor, if not get an R134a equivalent.
Replace the R12 with a suitable drop in such as R437A. Simples.

Thanks for the advise mate, ive got 134 so think i will go for that option would be cheaper than getting some r437a just for this comp.
Will look into which replacment comp would be best.
thanks again

B G Scott
27-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Hi all, im after some impartial advise regarding a cellar cooling system.
The current unit is a Searle TG type of evap but was running R 12 and a Danfoss Compressor sc18b with a small reciever and condenser, pipe run about 6 meters and the cellar is 6 cubic meters (no room to swing a cat). Now the unit failed about 18months ago was blowing the fuse in the plug(units power is via plug and socket in cellar with a inline fused spur, sparky went out and disconected power cable!! and told him to ring a refrigeration company.
Bloke has had 2 companys out and has been told comp has blown and it needs a new system as it contains R12 both have quoted over 2800 quid its a small social club with little funds.

I had a look today at the system and the compressor is shot so im thinking what would the best solution be to get it running if they cant afford a new system.

Im thing of replacing the compressor with a 134a type but what would the equivalent type be??
Thought of using 407 but would have added cost of new TEV.
If i replace compressor, dryer,and give the system a good flush and us a durnout dryer would it be worth it or are the 2 company right in going for the replacment system??
Im not a robin hood but times are hard and money is very tight for the club but it is used by the community and i would like to help them out..

Any advise please...:)
I have posted this before but you might just get a re-cycled comp from RESL and avoid the cost of a new one plus the problems with the oil etc, recharge with a drop in replacement.
Only thing I would say make sure the people involved know and accept that you are doing them favour or it just might come back and bight you in the wallet.
RESL tel number 01455 842925
Cheers I hope it helps.

bob007
27-07-2010, 08:56 PM
I have posted this before but you might just get a re-cycled comp from RESL and avoid the cost of a new one plus the problems with the oil etc, recharge with a drop in replacement.
Only thing I would say make sure the people involved know and accept that you are doing them favour or it just might come back and bight you in the wallet.
RESL tel number 01455 842925
Cheers I hope it helps.

Thanks mate will give them a call tomoz, ive told them i will do what i can and have explained the issue of a replacment compressor compaired to a system.
thanks again mate