PDA

View Full Version : Mini split condensate pumps

jebw
26-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Hi all,

I recently had a Mr. Slim unit installed. Because gravity feed was not possible, the contractor installed a Ferguson (PSCPMS 230) condensate pump. The pump is astonishingly loud. I ended up moving it up into the attic space (about 2 feet above the unit), surrounded it with 1 inch foam, and it is still very audible. Right now, I'm considering wrapping the pump with a rubber mat to dampen the sound and vibration. That being said, I'm also considering just buying a new pump. So I'm wondering if any of you could comment on the quietest condensate pumps for mini-split systems. This is in a bedroom, and from my perspective, quiet is more important than other factors, such as cost, reliability, etc.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

monkey spanners
26-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Is this one of those 'buzzy' pumps? They are noisey, especially if the run dry, it is worth making sure that the pump doesn't syphon when it stops, which they can do if the end of the pipe is lower than the drain pan in the wall mount unit. If they syphon the will run dry (and noisey) next time they start.
The peristaltic ones are quieter, Little Giant is probably a make available to you in the USA, i haven't used one for a few years so can't comment on reliability. It will need the tube changing regularly and the float cleaning also.

lomb
26-07-2010, 06:32 PM
The mini limes arent too bad and they have a quieter version now, have a look at aspens website. They have the advantage of not running all the time or all the time on cooling like many.

james10
27-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Is this one of those 'buzzy' pumps? They are noisey, especially if the run dry, it is worth making sure that the pump doesn't syphon when it stops, which they can do if the end of the pipe is lower than the drain pan in the wall mount unit. If they syphon the will run dry (and noisey) next time they start.
The peristaltic ones are quieter, Little Giant is probably a make available to you in the USA, i haven't used one for a few years so can't comment on reliability. It will need the tube changing regularly and the float cleaning also.
Thes pumps seem to be quite reliable seems to be aspen pumps that go down most often between the peristaltics

jebw
29-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Based on some images I found, it appears that Ferguson is selling the Little Giant pump, just under a different name. So, I actually have an EC-400 pump. Anyway, I'm really unhappy with it. Wrapped it in a rubber mat last night and that cut down on the noise some. I confirmed that it's not running dry and re-priming. Anyway, maybe I'll look into the Aspen pumps. Anyone used the mini flowatch pumps?

bigrac
29-07-2010, 08:47 PM
try looking up charles austin mini blue pumps, think they have a US distributor. i started installing them a couple of years ago, found them to be near enough silent, and reliable. they work off air on/air off sensor. only problem being is there shape they dont fit into trunking, so a roof space is ideal.