PDA

View Full Version : Possible dangers in the work place?

jjvblack
25-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Hello to all of this forum, i am new here and have recently starting working for blue bird inc. i am patching ca rooms and testing them getting them ready for long term ca, i have been doing this for about 2 months now. some of the rooms are all concrete and others are wood. what concerns me is that some of the rooms have this flame retardant stuff on top of the insulation that is sprayed over the walls. most of our ca rooms are very very old and my question is. does this moon crater looking flame retardant stuff have asbestos? my boss just said no it doesnt and told me to go back to work. while i am the only white guy working on the patch crew and the others mexicans and 3 of which cant speak english. i am not so quick to believe. the rooms are old and he has only worked with the company for a few years. any help would be great. by the way the stuff we use to patch the flame retardant stuff with is called monokote and contains gypsum, i had to beg for particulit masks so the whole of us as a crew wouldnt get lung cancer. i dont like this guy and dont trust him and need anwsers. thanks

Brian_UK
25-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Contact your local Health Inspector or Union rep.

I know it is easy to say but "If you think that it is unsafe, leave, go elsewhere"

NH3LVR
25-07-2010, 11:49 PM
What you are using now for patching would be safe.
IF the base material is Monokote you might want to read this.
"Prior to the 1970's, Monokote contained approximately a 12% level of asbestos. The mineral is naturally flame resistant, so it was included in products that were designed for high temperature environments, such as oil refineries (http://www.mesothelioma.com/jobsites_refineries.htm) or power plants (http://www.mesothelioma.com/jobsites_powerplants.htm). During the 70's, continuing research pinpointed a terrifying fact about asbestos - it is full of toxins that are harmful and sometimes deadly to humans. Anyone who is exposed to the substance is potentially in great danger."
Without professional sampling there is no way to be sure.
I might be tempted to take a sample to a lab myself, to be safe. Or use one of the home testing kits. I work for a major corporation and would be all over this if it was my plant.

Magoo
26-07-2010, 06:33 AM
I agree with Brian UK, and NH3LVR.
I am actually doing a 3 day safety course as of today and the next two days.
It is your right, if you identify a possible health and safety risk, to refuse to work. Until the risk is identified, reduced and elliminated.

Tesla
26-07-2010, 10:20 AM
May be you might consider looking for a new job without the unknown risk. This substance might be found not to be toxic today but like asbestos who knows in say 20 years time. You are obviously concerned and I would be too - but sometimes the little guy looses the battle with the big guys.

Magoo
27-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Tesla.
I agree with what you say, but!!! under the act which is the same in OZ and NZ, if it is identified and dismissed as too hard, you can be criminally implicated for not addressing the risk and not notifying the respective authourities. It says ..., have you taken all reasonable effective actions to reduce the risk to workers. To elliminate injury. If not, you are criminally liable personally, and un-insureable, money and time in the can is the result.
It is harsher in OZ than here in NZ.

dane mccarthy
02-08-2010, 12:20 AM
i would think the old material would have it in it but the new would not, If I was you I would either be addressing the issue with your boss or working elsewhere.. but you have a right to adress your concern about the issue.