PDA

View Full Version : anyone on here work for space engineering services

frosty74
25-07-2010, 03:02 PM
i am seeking info on space engineering services and what they are like to work for?

if anyone can help and give me some info that would be great.

thanks

julius Geezer
26-07-2010, 07:59 PM
They do shifts which some people love and some people hate

Good luck.......!

improver No1
10-08-2011, 08:49 PM
I used to work for space!

I started there as a trainee, they put me through college to get my NVQ level 2 in refrigeration & A/C, half way through that NVQ I decided I didn't know enough about electrics so I paid for & went in my own time to do city & guilds electrical installation level 2, by the end of my 3yrs at space engineering I was a a qualified Refrigeration engineer, electrician, with F-gas regs, CITB Brazing cert, 17th edition wiring regs!

And guess what they wouldnt give me a penny increase in my wage! All I got was "theres nothing in the pot" yet they would take people on and give them the full rate of pay! And to rub salt in the wounds they would put them with me to learn the job!!!!

Take this as u will!!

chillerman2006
10-08-2011, 09:15 PM

I started there as a trainee, they put me through college to get my NVQ level 2 in refrigeration & A/C, half way through that NVQ I decided I didn't know enough about electrics so I paid for & went in my own time to do city & guilds electrical installation level 2, by the end of my 3yrs at space engineering I was a a qualified Refrigeration engineer, electrician, with F-gas regs, CITB Brazing cert, 17th edition wiring regs!

And guess what they wouldnt give me a penny increase in my wage! All I got was "theres nothing in the pot" yet they would take people on and give them the full rate of pay! And to rub salt in the wounds they would put them with me to learn the job!!!!

Take this as u will!!

Hi improver No1

Good to share experiences like this, nice one

:D:D:D

cadwaladr
11-08-2011, 12:56 AM
i think space use sainsbury stores as a car park,well every time i visit one of their vans is in the car park,resident engineer?

chillerman2006
11-08-2011, 07:07 PM
They do shifts which some people love and some people hate

Good luck.......!

I'd like that as long as base salary took into account

17:00 to 00:00 is time & a half
00:00 to 08:00 is doulbe time
saturday time & a half
sunday double time
bank holidays double time + day off in lieu

At a quick guess about £45k

But I bet there is not much chance of that

Tayters
11-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Knock of 10K and you'd be about right for the base pay.

mad fridgie
11-08-2011, 11:18 PM

Take this as u will!!
That is standard, when you have appentices, if your under 21 then it is like pushing **** uphill, over 21 then call their bluff if you are that good.

improver No1
12-08-2011, 08:11 AM
@madfridge,

I'm over 21, and like you say pushing **** uphill, I left in the end and it was the best move I ever made, they take people on give them the full rate just to get them in the door, the field managers are appalling.

@chillerman2006

Don't forget the BANKED HOURS that are not in your contract but you are force to do if you valve your job, your shift finishs at 01:00am but you HAVE to work till 08:00am & guess what you never see the banked hours again, because there is no OT and they have to much work on to give the time off! Oh and by the way your shift rota will change every 3weeks and to no surprise it's always for the worse on your behalf, at the end I was doing every other full weekend then a Saturday, a full weekend then a Sunday!! If that is what as in there words "a family friendly salary and shift pattern" is for you Space is the company your looking for.

5k probe
11-01-2012, 08:44 AM
@madfridge,

I'm over 21, and like you say pushing **** uphill, I left in the end and it was the best move I ever made, they take people on give them the full rate just to get them in the door, the field managers are appalling.

@chillerman2006

Don't forget the BANKED HOURS that are not in your contract but you are force to do if you valve your job, your shift finishs at 01:00am but you HAVE to work till 08:00am & guess what you never see the banked hours again, because there is no OT and they have to much work on to give the time off! Oh and by the way your shift rota will change every 3weeks and to no surprise it's always for the worse on your behalf, at the end I was doing every other full weekend then a Saturday, a full weekend then a Sunday!! If that is what as in there words "a family friendly salary and shift pattern" is for you Space is the company your looking for.
Wait untill you see the new shift pattern!!!!

NIKK38
11-01-2012, 10:36 PM
The day's of telling your Company to stick their job have long gone, and they know it.
Shift patterns and salaries are being looked at by many Companies.
It's not family friendly, but people forget the back to back weekends and long hours during the summer.
I don't like it any more than the next man, but it's a job.
Looking back through previous years diaries I don't seem to be working any more hours, the only difference is that the choice of when I work has been taken away.
Until all the service providers turn on the supermarkets things won't change, shops are 24/7, therefore service cover has to be the same.
It's not the job it used to be, you either accept it, or walk......Grass isn't always greener though.

Grizzly
11-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Hi Nikk. and 5K.
Were you aware some of the Space bosses trawl this site?
(And others too!)
Grizzly

spacemanmark
11-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Evening All
I have worked at Space for over 16 years and have spent over 25 years in the same sector of our beloved industry, the demands on the contractors and in turn all of the staff within these companies has been constantly changing for all the time I have been in a position to notice. The market place in which refrigeration companies compete is evolving, yet again, the convenience sector is a just one of the new demands that we face, all the SLA's and KPI's of a Superstore, yet, with such a small refrigeration offering, never has an none trading case been so critical to our customers.
Companies have to change, flex and adapt, they always have and they always will, it’s the nature of the competition between the end users in the market place and the demands upon them.

I agree Nick, it’s not the job it used to be, far from it, I struggle to think of any contractors in our sector that operate in the ways as they always have, all have had to move with their customer base, this inevitably means change and not always change for the better.

Company operational changes are made to improve service delivery and efficiencies for a contractors customers, this is now an expectation of the client, that unless delivered, contracts are lost and changes happen anyway, changes as a contractor we have no control over.

Paul, I am happy to discuss any of the issues above with you anytime, you have my number in your phone.

Cheers Mark

spacemanmark
11-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Hi Nikk. and 5K.
Were you aware some of the Space bosses trawl this site?
(And others too!)
Grizzly

lol, we welcome the comments and the feedback, we don’t hold the Monopoly on good ideas or always making the right decision, it only through dialog will we move forward.

Cheers Mark

Grizzly
12-01-2012, 07:35 AM
We all sound off!
It's part of being an engineer, however what I say to individuals at differing levels within my employ
Differs.
I in my own way was just saying "Have a care!"

I have been there as they say Mark.
And I don't envy anyone at present Mark.

Yours is a reasonable argument and approach, fair play to you.
Sadly, yours is an section of our Industry that is not renowned for fair play.
It's more known for "use and abuse!"

However, I assume if your guys can put up with some Cr*p, they can earn a living.

Grizzly

NIKK38
12-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Grizzly,

I am all too aware of the Space guys that watch this site. Bitching about work behind an alias is all well and good, but at the end of the day it doesn't achieve anything. I have been guilty of this in the past. You have to take matters to the top, make people aware of the problems, but be prepared for them not phoning you back :D

Grizzly
12-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Grizzly,

I am all too aware of the Space guys that watch this site. Bitching about work behind an alias is all well and good, but at the end of the day it doesn't achieve anything. I have been guilty of this in the past. You have to take matters to the top, make people aware of the problems, but be prepared for them not phoning you back :D

Go for it my friend.
(Maybe not, As I have just read Webrams post and He makes sense.
Here is not the place to take sides or air dirty laundry!)

Grizzly.

WebRam
12-01-2012, 06:53 PM
*****ADMIN NOTE*****

Just a reminder to all members that any thread that names a company will be watched my the mods of RE. If the thread take a libelous route then it will be removed. At present, everyone has conducted themselves in the correct manor and I congratulate the members that have taken part for their self-control. Discussions regarding companies are always a fraught area and the only people who get the stick when things go wrong are the mods on the site. So please bare this in mind as the thread continues.

NIKK38
12-01-2012, 07:00 PM
*****ADMIN NOTE*****

Just a reminder to all members that any thread that names a company will be watched my the mods of RE. If the thread take a libelous route then it will be removed. At present, everyone has conducted themselves in the correct manor and I congratulate the members that have taken part for their self-control. Discussions regarding companies are always a fraught area and the only people who get the stick when things go wrong are the mods on the site. So please bare this in mind as the thread continues.

Fridgeman.com springs to mind...

5k probe
13-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Evening All
I have worked at Space for over 16 years and have spent over 25 years in the same sector of our beloved industry, the demands on the contractors and in turn all of the staff within these companies has been constantly changing for all the time I have been in a position to notice. The market place in which refrigeration companies compete is evolving, yet again, the convenience sector is a just one of the new demands that we face, all the SLA's and KPI's of a Superstore, yet, with such a small refrigeration offering, never has an none trading case been so critical to our customers.
Companies have to change, flex and adapt, they always have and they always will, it’s the nature of the competition between the end users in the market place and the demands upon them.

I agree Nick, it’s not the job it used to be, far from it, I struggle to think of any contractors in our sector that operate in the ways as they always have, all have had to move with their customer base, this inevitably means change and not always change for the better.

Company operational changes are made to improve service delivery and efficiencies for a contractors customers, this is now an expectation of the client, that unless delivered, contracts are lost and changes happen anyway, changes as a contractor we have no control over.

Paul, I am happy to discuss any of the issues above with you anytime, you have my number in your phone.

Cheers Mark

Mark,
I know you'll always pick up the phone, eventually, lol, but at the moment I have fed my constructive comments back via my ME and FM and so far have had positive feedback to. Just off to reset my early morning alarm, lol, catch up soon, Paul

CraigF
25-01-2012, 12:42 AM
shrugs shoulders and walks away....

cold.man
25-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Most of the posts you see on this site regarding supermarket refrigeration issues well issues of this nature are from engineers UK based. I think i am right saying this correct me if i am wrong.

Myself i have personally worked in the supermarket refrigeration industry not just in the UK and it is the same problems and comments that occur over and over again.

Companies especially the large service providers there is always that problem especially from service engineers THEM and US which really in my eyes is a load of !!!!!!!! yes i agree in some cases there is a break down in communcation but you get that everywhere. I can honestly say i dont think higher managment interact with the engineers on the ground enough. This is the problem not them and us, at the end of the day its the service engineer who is the spearhead of the company this is who the customers interacts with on a daily basis. I can say this from experience because i pointed it out to higher managment when i was a manager in a meeting and it is suprising the effect it had when they actually tried it. Yes they are not able to wash away all the problems but the service engineers actually respect the fact they/he or whoever have took the time out to say we have had to push to make changes i understand the work load you are under but we are doing this for the company to move forward and meet the requirements of the customer. The customer puts us under pressure to provide the service and we have to adapt and overcome. Thanks for the hard work keep it up and we do appreciate the hard work and proffessionalism you are showing to the customers. Yes in large companies there is to many cheifs and not enough indians but a bit of interaction has to come from the right chiefs now and again not just a news letter. Yes you will get the odd engineer who you will never change they hate work they live to moan every company has one tell me im wrong? but there will be a higher percentage of your team who may still moan a little but appreciate the fact a big wig has actually took the time out to speak to them and tell them why they are working there !!!!! off.
As of working shifts you can not physically provide an efficient service to a supermarket without a shift pattern in place, especially with store trading hours nowadays. Gone are the days of not working your bank holidays and sundays now. Also if you have for instance 15 engineers and you are able to make all 15 happy you are an absolute genius it is impossible and if anyone reading this has done this consider yourself lucky you have a fantastic team.

I suppose its easier to look at things from a different prospective if you have experienced both sides of the coin but thats what i think string me up if needs must.
Companies always have that phrase teamwork !!!!! practice what you preach big cheifs and you may be suprised at the reaction !!!!!
As of us service engineers the industry is changing on all levels work hours, technology, we have to adapt if we want to stay in the industry and we all no a service provider couldn't provide any service without us.

Theres is a saying its not what you see its what you look at !!!!!!! maybe we all have to see more !!!!!!

the difference in a !!! team !!! is amazing if everyone is on the same song sheet.

most problems revolves around money from a service engineers prospective..... theres a company in australia QAL who is a service provider for woolworths the way service engineers pull a little overtime is case cleaning. every large service provider struggles to meet that !!! maintenance program !!! and its a way they can earn that little extra money if there is any engineers on here who work for QAL correct me if im wrong. Alot of engineers are happy to do that it benifits them and helps the company acheive meeting them maintenance program targets especially if they are ontop of the service calls and theres no overtime for the !!! service engineer !!!.
Service engineers get in that frame of mind if the overtime is off and on, The ????? company only offers overtime as and when they are in the sh!!! but with this setup in place they cannot be accused of that !!! take it or leave it !!! everyones a winner those people who want to earn the dollar can do but they have the choice of this if there is no overtime on the service side.

not sure if WR, SPACE, CARTERS or who ever do it this way but its just food for thought. !!!!

RatsPom
30-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Evening All I have worked at Space for over 16 years and have spent over 25 years in the same sector of our beloved industry, the demands on the contractors and in turn all of the staff within these companies has been constantly changing for all the time I have been in a position to notice. The market place in which refrigeration companies compete is evolving, yet again, the convenience sector is a just one of the new demands that we face, all the SLA's and KPI's of a Superstore, yet, with such a small refrigeration offering, never has an none trading case been so critical to our customers. Companies have to change, flex and adapt, they always have and they always will, it’s the nature of the competition between the end users in the market place and the demands upon them. I agree Nick, it’s not the job it used to be, far from it, I struggle to think of any contractors in our sector that operate in the ways as they always have, all have had to move with their customer base, this inevitably means change and not always change for the better. Company operational changes are made to improve service delivery and efficiencies for a contractors customers, this is now an expectation of the client, that unless delivered, contracts are lost and changes happen anyway, changes as a contractor we have no control over. Paul, I am happy to discuss any of the issues above with you anytime, you have my number in your phone. Cheers Mark Spoken like a "Company Man"

jimmy wilkes
27-04-2012, 02:12 AM
if you cant stand the heat and that.get yourself on co-op contract or nisa or spar!!!!!!

Grizzly
27-04-2012, 01:50 PM
if you cant stand the heat and that.get yourself on co-op contract or nisa or spar!!!!!!

Getting a we bit personal their Jimmy!
Or is it that the bosses read these posts?

In fairness to everyone, when the job is as it was when you signed up.. No Problem!
However when the terms and conditions are changed, usually there can be issues.

But there ain't much point in bitching about it on the forum, it's not the place for either side of the fence to put much of a point.
Grizzly