PDA

View Full Version : any updates on rcd's

littleyapper
22-07-2010, 10:47 PM
does any body have updates on the use of rcd's in standard cold room /beer machine applications....
i know there was a thread in 2008 just wondering where we are at now.... my sparks is of the belief that they are only for sockets .... thanks guys

cadwaladr
23-07-2010, 12:40 AM
safety is paramount,life is precious fit as many as you can,elcbs are a must a pain in the arse but needed!!!!!!!!!!!!

lowcool
23-07-2010, 02:26 AM
from what ive seen any circuit can be protected by rcds,better than elcbs by far

goshen
23-07-2010, 01:49 PM
does any body have updates on the use of rcd's in standard cold room /beer machine applications....
i know there was a thread in 2008 just wondering where we are at now.... my sparks is of the belief that they are only for sockets .... thanks guys
Hi :
saftey first!!use rcd's,they pose no problem to any system ,unless you are using a vsd!:)

chilliwilly
30-07-2010, 11:49 PM
They only apply to a new circuit in a domestic/residential situation. And outdoor portable equipment on domestic and residential equipment under 32 amp. ELCBs are no longer a recognised form of supplementary protection for indirect contact. Unless they are already in existing use, in which case they would be considered as a code 2 on a periodic inspection report.

But they would have to be upgraded to an RCD/GFCI if a major alteration was carried out on the circuit. just installing a new air handler and a condensing unit would not constitute the addition of an rcd, even if the circuit is protected by a fuse or an mcb. A minor works certificate would suffice with non compliances noted on the circuit.

In my honest opinion they are an over the top requirement, and to get round the regulation on their use, install a 32 amp circuit for you new system. Or use steel wired armoured cable, or use pvc conduit or trunking/raceway if your using twin and earth/romex/loomex. I don't know of any system with enclosure protection suitable to stop the mild build up of condensation that could cause nuisance trips on an external condensng unit at long rest priods in cooler weather..

piewie
09-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Read the 17th edition section on RCD's that is the only way to be certain.