PDA

View Full Version : Dents in copper tubing elbows

carddfann
22-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi,

I work for a company that does final assembly for AC products that are similar to small window AC units. We bring in the evaps and condensers prebuilt where we assemble and charge. Sometimes, the heat exchanges arrive with minor dents in an elbow or two due to shipping. Does anyone out there have any quality experience to suggest how to determine whether the dent is too big or too many for the exchanger to perform? In the past, it seems we made a judgement call and varies who looks at it so we don't know if we are rejecting a good exchanger or not. Would prefer not to have any dents, but world isn't perfect. Any thoughts? Many thanks!

monkey spanners
22-07-2010, 04:47 PM
I wouldn't accept any dents in a coils return bends, your supplier needs to improve his packing and handling.

The same answer applies to the five or so other times you have asked the same question...

Tesla
23-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Hi Carddfann
Welcome to the forum. Good question - due to the fact that the most pressure drop and friction occurs on return bends, any dents will be detrimental to operation and the life of any unit. Therefore all units with dented return bends should be rejected.

NoNickName
23-07-2010, 11:24 AM
If the goods are destined to domestic market, reject the product. If they are price-driven goods for developing countries, you way well accept them.

Grizzly
24-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I think you already knew the answer carddfann.
We have a repair system it's called
Warranty!
But do you really want your built units failing and guess what!
It's your name that will be mud.
After all whose name is on the units.
Grizzly.

Eeram
24-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Dents and nicks on return bends always presents problems. They can be fine with pressure testing, but wait till the condenser/evaporator reaches operating temperature!

Just remember that the copper/aluminium tubing on a bend is stretched to its limit by the bending process.

Reject any damages. Grizzly sums it all up.