PDA

View Full Version : Chocolat storage

Peter_1
18-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Does someone know a good link with information what the best storage conditions are for chocolat and pralines?

rbartlett
18-05-2005, 07:18 PM
this is interesting peter as I remember asking about a chocolate cabinet and you replying

Re: chocolate display fridge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should say: 18°C and 50% humidity.
I have some big chocolate manufacturers customers.

They make a difference between storing for long term (14°C)and short term (18°C).
I will explain why but you will know this perhaps: if you should store them on 13 or 14°C in a display counter for direct sell, the soon you take them out of the counter, the humidity of the air will condens on it.
Best for a display counter is a small ventilation (perhaps there is one which is broken for the moment)

Sometimes they put the pralines to close by the evaporator or to close by the air coming out the evaporator.

I hope they don't use a plate cooling with metal or alu plates (condensation on the plates due to a too cold plate)

Defrost system not working properly (too long)

Is there an airconditioning in the shop itself?

On some cabinets, we installed under the evaporator a flexible heating resistance (those you use in the drain in a freezer) which can be set on manually to add heat so that humidity decreases.

Is "skanky" wet or more a white shine on it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened??

cheers

richard

Peter_1
18-05-2005, 08:44 PM
I forgot I gave you once this explanation and it's still valid for me. We have a relative big manufacturer as a client http://www.jacali.be/index.asp?page=welcomeourcompany and from there we have learned how you have to threat pralines.

It seems that there are problems with maintaining the proper temperature in it and there seems also a disagreement what the right temperature is for the storage and the exposition of pralines. The discussion goes of a 'temperature-disagreement' of 4 K. The client wants 12 to 13°C and the counter manufacturer says 16°C to 17°C is enough. There seems also that there was no agreement on the forehand of the desired temperature conditions.

what the conditions are at my clients factory Jacali. They - both sides - will argue that every product has his own specific temperature.

And I always want to be prepared before I visit the site the first time.

rbartlett
18-05-2005, 09:34 PM
there is no law as to which is the correct temperature for these chocolates. the sellers expectation was 12-13. the manufacturer' deemed 18 was ok.

don't forget I expect he can cite several other chocolate seller happy with 18 deg c btw

if no agreement was agreed upon initially between the two parties then neither can be held responsible or liable.

Cheers

richard

chemi-cool
18-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi Peter.

Chocolate and pralines????? ammmmmmmmmmmmm

Got it!!
The best conditions, (does the chocolate has fruit and nuts in it?) Ar in my stomach :D

Chemi :)

frank
18-05-2005, 10:04 PM
There is quite a bit of information here Peter http://www.emf.com.lb/technical_e.htm

Doing a search on Google for " chocolate storage temperatures" revealed quite a number of similar sites.

It seems that the concensus is "between 12C and 20C" the most important factor being constant temperature storage to prevent sugar bloom and other condensation problems.

Peter_1
18-05-2005, 10:14 PM
There is indeed no law that states temperatures in chocolate counters. On the other hand, for meat, fish, vegetables, dairy... there are very strict rules for this.

There is no problem that I said in the past that 18°C is for me a temperature that has pr oven in the field to be OK. I'm still behind these figures.
That's also the reason why the judge calls me in this specific case because he knows, or better at least he expects that I can mediate between parties and use for this my knowledge, my field-experience to come to a solution.

What I also need to try - compulsory by law - is to come to a amicable settlement (don't know if this the correct expression) so that both parties avoid a very long and expensive procedure in court.

What seller will argue perhaps is that his fillings are so special so that he needs lower temperatures (which can be true of course)

As said before:' It seems that there was no agreement about temperatures' But even then, I have to mediate to find a solution, even if there was no prior agreement. Seller must become a satisfied customer and the judicial procedure must be stopped, if possible.

Frank, the sugar bloom in the article is the phenomena I described the first time to Richard.

Brian_UK
18-05-2005, 11:00 PM
..... to a amicable settlement .....Perhaps the expression 'arbitration' would be a UK usage.

I haven't done a lot of work on chocolate displays but seem to remember that ±18°C worked best in most shops.

Hemant Anand
07-08-2005, 01:50 PM
It is quite late but i saw this thread today.
Ref:
Boekenoogen, H.A. Analysis and Characterization of Oils, Fats, and Fat Products. London: Interscience Publishers, 1964-1968: 173. Fat or oil β β' α γ
Cocoa Butter 34.5 27-28 22 18
18 - 34.5 °C .
Since the last fraction of Cocoa butter has a melting point of 18C ( and softening point is unknown)- it is preferred to ensure that the temperature of high quality chocolate is kept lower than 18 C. Based on experience, 14 C is a resonable set point that allows for a variation of +/- 2 C when the conditions are temporarily destabilised.
Hope this helps and do let me know about the outcome

botrous
08-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Man , i've lost 14 Kg of my weight and now you are talking about chocolat . . . that teases me a lot

Hemant Anand
09-08-2005, 08:24 AM
One more thought about 12 C - there is a possiblity of moisture condensation as soon as the chocolate is exposed to room temperature ( depending on the room temp & humidity). Hence it may be too low to accept 12 C.